The Ending

Enigma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Cha Seung Won-Ssi, you are arrested for kidnapping, murder attempt, human trafficking and drug trafficking. You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Anything you say may be used against you in the court. You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future.”

 

The Miranda warning echoed through Cha Seung Won’s head over and over again as he’s now sitting in front of Kim Jong Kook, wearing the prisoner uniform. He smirked at the muscled man and giving him an uninterested look.

 

“Aren’t you satisfied?” Said Seung-Won, opening the conversation.

 

Jong-Kook heaved a soft sigh, “Even up until now, don’t you feel any regret for everything you have done?” He asked.

 

“Why should I? It’s not that I have that much time to live.” Seung-Won replied easily.

 

Death sentence. That’s the punishment that’s given to him after all of the sins he committed. Some even said that he should at least suffer before dying.

 

“I feel sorry for you.” Said Jong-Kook after a short brief of silence.

 

Seung-Won raised one of his eyebrows, “Why should you?”

 

“For the death of your wife and daughter.” Jong-Kook daring himself to mention his family.

 

Seung-Won heaved a soft, evil chuckle, “It’s your father’s fault. Assume that you are just lucky that you can always escape all of the crisis.”

 

Jong-Kook couldn’t be more surprised. Even up until now this man doesn’t show any guilty feeling at all.

 

“Now that I really feel sorry for you. You are pathetic, Cha Seung Won-Ssi. Let’s say your daughter is still alive and do you think she’d love to see her father this way? Do you think killing me and my mother will make your daughter to come back alive?”

 

Seung-Won’s eyes were flaming and it’s darted at Jong-Kook, “Don’t you dare to speak anything about my family. I thought you are one smart man. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. That will only make things fair.” He paused and broke the eye contact before continuing, “Don’t you think you are pathetic too? You are deeply in love with the person who murdered your mother. Song Ji Hyo is nothing but a betrayer.”

 

Jong-Kook stood up from his seat and balled his hand into a fist. That fist almost falls on Seung-Won’s cheek if only Jong-Kook didn’t control it.

 

“Just do so. If you dare.” Seung-Won said through his smirk because he knew, Kim Jong Kook might not risk anything since this is the police station.

 

Jong-Kook took a deep breath to calm himself down before looking at Seung-Won for one last time, “I am paying you a visit, thinking that you might at least reflect what you have done. I was even thinking if I might forgive you despite everything you have done. However, seeing you behaving this way changed my mind.” He paused and darted his eyes at Seung-Won’s gaze, “Cha Seung Won-Ssi, don’t you know that an eye for an eye will only make the world blind?”

 

 

Coming out from the police station, Jong-Kook went into his car and drove passing the crowded Seoul metropolitan area. It was a thirty minutes ride until his car reached a kindergarten. He walked out from his car and for a moment, he became the limelight because who doesn’t get attracted by a man in nice tailored suit and fancy car?

 

Jong-Kook removed his sunglasses and placed it in his pocket while walking inside the building. He’s now at the ballroom area where his eyes are scanning for his princess. His lips curled up into a smile where he can finally see his little camellia.

 

Dong-Baek who’s currently on the stage, waving her hand towards her father signing that she’s extremely glad that her father is here to watch her performance.

 

After several performances, it’s finally the time for the graduation ceremony where every kids will be called up to the stage along with their parents.

 

“Aigo, appa’s princess is behaving so good today.” Said Jong-Kook and lifted Dong-Baek up in his arms. He couldn’t be happier to see his daughter in her graduation gown.

 

Dong-Baek smiled at her father, “Appa, now that Dong-Baek is big enough and Dong-Baek can take care of both eomma and appa.”

 

Jong-Kook chuckled a little, “Jinjja? Appa is so proud of you.” He said and kissed her hair before adding, “Since today is appa’s princess happy day, appa is going to grant your wish.”

 

“Jinjja?” Dong-Baek’s eyes sparkled.

 

Jong-Kook nodded vigorously and Dong-Baek seemed to be thinking for a while before saying, “Let’s just go visit eomma. Dong-Baek missed eomma so much.”

 

The moment Dong-Baek mentioned her ‘eomma’, Jong-Kook’s heart felt like it sank deep down into his stomach that he’s lost for words in a moment.

 

“Appa. Did you hear me?” Dong-Baek asked.

 

Jong-Kook nodded slowly, “Eo. Let’s go see eomma after this. She will be so delighted to see you.”

 

 

Seoul University Hospital

Seoul, South Korea

 

The smell of medicines and well-sterilized room greeted Jong-Kook once he entered the hospital along with Dong-Baek in his arms. It has been two weeks since he kept on going back and forth from here that he hates it so much.

 

His steps are quickening as he memorized the paths that need to be taken before they finally reached one of the VIP ward. He took a deep breath before opening the sliding door only to see a sleeping woman on the bed.

 

“Since eomma needs time to heal, we cannot be noisy, eo?” Said Jong-Kook to Dong-Baek.

 

Dong-Baek nodded and walked towards the bed area. She smiled and gave a kiss on Ji-Hyo’s forehead, “Eomma, get well soon, eo? Dong-Baek missed you so much.”

 

A drop of tear dropped from Jong-Kook’s eye and he quickly erase it before Dong-Baek notice it. He bit his lips hard to stop any sobs coming out. He caressed Song Ji Hyo’s hair gently and mumbled, “I miss you too, Ji-Hyo yah. Please don’t scare me this way, eo?”

 

He believed that Song Ji Hyo is a strong woman that she might go through this. However, it seems like fate is not going as how they wanted it to be as she hasn’t open her eyes yet since the day she was shot by Cha Seung Won.

 

The day that Doctor told him that the bullet went through Ji-Hyo’s lungs that it’s a miracle that they could took out the bullet. She might still be sleeping but he believed that she will make it. She will wake up, sooner or later.

 

“Appa, eomma is so beautiful, isn’t she?” Said Dong-Baek suddenly.

 

Jong-Kook nodded his head, “Eo, she’s so beautiful that appa can never look at other woman.”

 

Dong-Baek glanced at her father, “What about Dong-Baek?”

 

“Dong-Baek is the exception. Ssst, don’t be so loud, eomma might get jealous.” Said Jong-Kook which was followed by a light chuckle.

 

However, when Dong-Baek was about to reply her father, the weak voice of a woman startled both of them.

 

“Eomma heard you, Dong-Baek ah.” Ji-Hyo murmured weakly and tried her best to open her eyes.

 

Both Jong-Kook and Dong-Baek were surprised and overwhelmed at the same time. Is this what you call miracle?

 

“Eomma, can you see Dong-Baek? Jinjja?” Dong-Baek asked excitedly.

 

With all of the energy left she has, Ji-Hyo nodded her head slowly.

 

“Dong-Baek ah, don’t ask too much question. Appa will call the doctor firstly.” Said Jong-Kook and when he was about to press the button, Ji-Hyo’s weak touch stopped him.

 

“I am fine.” She said which is a complete lie. All of her body is aching and she felt so weak that she can barely move.

 

Jong-Kook sighed disbelief, “You are still so stubborn.”

 

“Keurae. Eomma, do you know that today is Dong-Baek’s graduation day? Dong-Baekie is going to elementary school soon.” Dong-Baek added.

 

Ji-Hyo smiled, “Good job, Dong-Baek ah. Eomma is so proud of you.”

 

It was such a miracle that she could finally open her eyes although the pain was agonizing. Even doctors are surprised on how could she woke up after the major accident.

 

“Did you send Dong-Baek home?” Ji-Hyo asked once she saw Jong-Kook entering her ward.

 

Jong-Kook nodded and took a seat beside her bed, “Mianhae.” He murmured.

 

“Why are you sorry?” She asked weakly, not knowing what he meant.

 

Jong-Kook erased the tear that leaked out from his eyes, “I should be the one who lay here instead of you.”

 

“It’s the price I have to pay, oppa. I murdered your mother. I deserve this.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter