Fair-Weather Friend

Meant to Be.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Love is quite unpredictable.

 

Sometimes when you want it to go your way, it doesn’t.

 

And when you don’t wish for it, it comes true.

 

 

It’s been two years since Joohyun moved out. University life had been fun. Although tough at times, learning new things was quite enjoyable to replace the things that she wanted to forget. And ought to forget.

 

 

It has also been two years since Joohyun met the girls. She might have called them a few times in a group call, or text them; though not personally. Whenever they suggested a meetup, Joohyun would always decline giving the same reasons like, she was busy with her assignments or having classes on that particular day. When she had her semester break, she would go back to her family. And lucky for her, it clashes with the girls’ school activities.

 

 

But this time, since the girls are graduating soon, they don’t have school activities. And Joohyun has to go back home eventually.

 

 

Mrs. Bae greeted her when she arrived home with hugs and kisses. After all, Joohyun is still her baby no matter how old she is.

 

“Mom… I’m not a child anymore. Stop my face.” Joohyun wiped the saliva on her face with her sleeves.

 

“I know. But you rarely come home. You only come home once per year. I’ve gotta give you more kisses now, don’t I?”

 

“I had work to do mom. I’ll try to come back more often if it pleases.”

 

“Very well then.” Mrs. Bae was pleased with her daughter’s answer. She then walked towards the living room as both of them were still standing near the doorway.

 

“Anyways, since you’re back today, I was hoping that we have a family dinner together with the Shon’s. To celebrate both your returning and Seungwannie’s graduation.”

 

Joohyun’s eyes widened, but immediately put on a poker face when her mom’s back turn around to face her. "Hmm..."

 

“What’s with this lethargic response I’m seeing. It’s your childhood friend’s graduation. You should be happy for her.”

 

Joohyun could only look away from her mom and sit down on the couch while hugging the pillow.

 

“I know that look, Joohyun-ah. What’s wrong? You can tell me.” Mrs. Bae sat down beside Joohyun and held her hands.

 

“It’s nothing mom.” Joohyun just shrugged and sighed.

 

“It’s never nothing when you look like that. Is this because of Seungwan? Because if it is, I know you’ve liked Seungwan since ages ago”

 

“H-how did you know?” Joohyun snapped her head back towards her mom, lightning speed, and widened her eyes in shock during the process.

 

 

Mrs. Bae giggled at the sight of it and continued her reasoning since her daughter is looking at her with confusion in her eyes. Basically, her eyes were speaking. I’ve never told you this before. How did she know about this? Am I really that obvious?

 

 

“Nothing goes past your mother Joohyun. Anyone with eyes can see it. Even Ye Bin knows about this.”

 

“Even Auntie Shon knows about this?” Joohyun gasped. O__O

 

“We were actually rooting for you two. I mean, two best friends’ daughters getting married to each other, and then becoming in-laws. That used to be our teenage dream. But then suddenly there’s no news about the two of you after you graduate.”

 

 

Joohyun could only look down again with sadness in her eyes.

 

 

“I know that you don’t want to talk. Maybe only you two can fix the problems between the two of you. If anything, me and your father strongly approve of this relationship. Heck, we’ll even force a marriage contract between the two of you.”

 

“Eh eh!! Don’t be rash mom. I don’t want to force her into a marriage.”

 

“I’m just kidding Hyunnie. But if desperate times come, desperate measures will be taken all for my baby her.” Mrs. Bae then proceeds to kiss her beloved daughter in the cheeks.

 

“But anyways again. I need you to go there to tell them about dinner tonight. Personally. Your Auntie Shon said she misses you.” Mrs. Bae pushes her arm lightly signaling her to stand up and go.

 

“Okay, okay. Stop shoving me.” Joohyun stood up and prepared herself internally.

 

She prayed hard that she doesn’t bump into Seungwan.

 

 

 

 

“Joohyun ah. Welcome!! It’s been so long since I’ve seen you.” Mrs. Shon greeted Joohyun energetically and gave her a few kisses on the cheek.

 

“Hello, Auntie Shon. It’s great to see you too.” She smiled back widely to her too, as a sign of respect, and also because the two have known each other since a long time ago.

 

“Aish Auntie Shon… You can call me Mom instead. Since you know, you know…” Mrs. Shon playfully nudged Joohyun’s arm and winked at her.

 

 

Joohyun only lightly chuckled when Mrs. Shon said that, which made the elder blinked twice at her.

 

 

“Ahh… seeing that you’re not shocked or anything, I bet your mom already told you that I knew as well. I’m more than glad if you become a part of our family, officially that is. Are you sure you don’t need our help knocking a few senses in Wannie? A few hits will probably do her good.”

 

“No, it’s ok Auntie Shon. I’ll like for things to happen naturally.” Joohyun quickly rejected the offer before the poor hamster was beaten into a pulp by her own family without knowing the reason why.

 

“Take your time then.” Mrs. Shon pouted. Joohyun could see where Seungwan got her traits from.

 

“But me and your uncle will always root for you guys. No matter how long it takes.” The elder then fist bumps into the air without warning, shocking Joohyun in the process.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter