The Fickle Ones

Ace of Hearts

After finishing a lone meal, Namjoo retreated to the bedroom with the slip of paper. Sitting on the bed with the bag, she discovered the phone was still in its box. Surprisingly, fully charged. Normally charging was the new owner’s duty.

Namjoo wondered if Sehun had charged it for her and stuck it back in the box. The screen was preprogrammed and hers to personalize. There were no contacts. Except for the games and programs already installed by the phone program, Namjoo could delete and add whatever she wished.

She went right ahead with the wi-fi first. Internet these days was the most important. She needed to rely on it for everything. Next, Moonbi’s and her mother’s phone numbers.

She called Moonbi first. Her mother would freak if she knew what plan she was in on. Even if two-hundred-thousand dollars couldn’t fix everything, it could do something. She wanted it for her mother and herself.

“Moonbi!” Namjoo jumped and eagerly crossed her legs. “It’s me, Namjoo!”

“Namjoo!” The girl yelled and Namjoo heard the clattering of her footsteps. Probably going somewhere quiet to chat. “Where the hell are you?! Mom has been going berserk!”

“I’m fine. I’m fine.”

“Then, where are you?!”

“Uh…about that,” Namjoo tilted her head back to stare at the ceiling, “I’m working right now.”

“Excuse me?” Moonbi’s voice sounded like she’d just croaked.

“I’ll be back in two months with some money.”

The sister heartily gasped, “Have you been kidnapped by a fisherman? Did he take you overseas to do backbreaking work? You were conned and now you’re stranded somewhere. Oh god, Namjoo!”

“Please, Moonbi.” Namjoo flattened her eyes.

Giggling into the phone, Moonbi said, “But where are you really?”

“It’s,” Namjoo thought about it, “confidential work, but I’m safe. Tell mom I’m taken care of here and I’ll be home soon.”

“I don’t know if she’ll accept that as an answer.” Namjoo could see Moonbi rolling her eyes.

“By the way,” Namjoo said, “I saw a pregnancy test in your purse. Is it yours?”

“Don’t tell anyone about it.” Moonbi tampered her voice down.

Gasping, Namjoo exclaimed, “You’re pregnant!”

“Of course not, dummy!” Moonbi denied.

Namjoo blanked. A sudden thick gloom started shrouding behind her.

“Did you even look at it?” Moonbi asked. “It’s negative.

“W…wh…what?!” Crawling forward Namjoo reached for Moonbi’s purse tucked inside the bedside drawer and dumped all its contents onto her bed. Grabbing the pee stick, she held it up to the light. There was one line on the tiny rectangular screen.

“Negative!!!” She banshee screamed.

“Why?!” Moonbi declared lost.

Tossing herself onto the bed, Namjoo stared up at the ceiling again. Her head was spinning.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Honestly, Sehun was more petrified of facing Namjoo. The shame only s in when he felt his face flushing.

The entire morning, he hadn’t gone to the bathroom. Thinking of down there was beginning to weigh in some sort of unpleasant direction. Sehun never saw himself as unattractive. Now Namjoo was causing his outlook to shift.

Was there a problem with him?

Tossing his head back he groaned. This was all her fault. He couldn’t concentrate.

Thank the Lord he didn’t have to go home and have lunch and dinner would be in the company of his parents. He didn’t think he’d be able to pull through sitting alone in the privacy of his home with Namjoo.

It would take a few generous days for him to get over this.

Sehun dreaded going home after work hours that he drove as slowly as possible. And then before he knew it, he was already in the driveway. Standing in front of his car he stared up at the main manor. Through it and his house was just on the other side.

He sighed at his pathetic self. Namjoo had managed to dimmish his confidence to a tiny grain of salt.

This wasn’t a big deal. Yesterday wasn’t a big mishap, but having his pants pulled down was a wound he couldn’t place. Namjoo’s screaming like he was some monster.

Urged to turn back around Sehun gripped onto his key fob. He couldn’t run away. What day and age was he in to be a coward?

Deeply exhaling the cool air all the way into his organ, he pushed out the back door, and charged toward his house. Within a few yards and he seriously wanted to bolt. From this far he could see the speckle of color beside the front door, waiting.

Namjoo in some dark purple and white. Timidly approaching his eyes darted toward her for a split second then focused on the door. Outstretching her arm demurely, Namjoo held out something in her palm.

Slowly turning he saw an orange.

“You wanted one.” She quietly said.

A quick mental debate and he took it. He heard her breathe a tiny laugh, but said nothing. He was too embarrassed.

“I have something to show you.” Namjoo said. Reaching into her pocket she pulled out a white stick he recognized.

Eyes rounding, he grabbed her hand and pulled her into the house.

“Are you crazy?” he whispered.

Namjoo opened to retaliate, but footsteps made them spin around. Swiftly covering her hand, he pulled her arm behind his back in time as they came face to face with Cleaner Jin.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Madam has called. If you’re home, she’d like to see you both.”

“We’ll be on our way.” Fingers climbing over Namjoo’s he snatched the pregnancy test, rapidly tucking it into the inner pocket of his blazer, out of view of Cleaner Jin’s watchful gaze as they turned away.    

Shutting the door Sehun ushered Namjoo down the yard. Cautiously peeking behind them in case someone was keeping an eye on them. Who knows, all the workers in his home affiliated with his mother and were paid by his father.

“Why are you bringing this out again?” Sehun interrogated.

“I have something to show you.” Namjoo replied.

“Later.” Putting a hand at her back to speed her up, he reminded, “Mom wants to see us. We’ll deal with what you have later.”

Inside he led Namjoo toward the dining room where his parents were gathered and several housekeepers were helping set up dinner. An assortment of entrées were being spread throughout the long table. A handful of glasses of water was out as well. There was more than enough for them. It was almost a banquet.

“You’re here?” It was his mother. Ecstatically smiling. Fast feet coming their way.

“I hope you’re hungry. I’ve the cook make all the dishes we talked about,” his father came up talking not to him but Namjoo. Then his eyes glazed over to the orange he was holding and breathed a haughty laugh.

Noticing, Sehun twisted his wrist inwards not sure what to do. Stick it inside his pocket with the pregnancy stick?

“As expected, my daughter-in-law has a big heart. Sharing her favorite with her husband.” He continued to chuckle pleased.

Sehun’s brow twitched at the endearment as his mother giggled elated and teasingly nudged his old man.

“Already calling her that.”

“If you want more, there are some fresh ones from the market in the kitchen. Take all you want.” His father said.

“Yes, I will.” Namjoo chirped.

Sehun shot her a side eye, but Namjoo avoided him by looking elsewhere, hearing faint voices from the intersecting corridor leading into the kitchen.

“There they are,” his mother snapped to attention turning around. Calling out, “This way. Come here, let me introduce you.”

Sehun recognized his pudgy aunt, stubby and balding uncle, and the playboy cousin who stayed in the side houses on his father’s estate. To gather with the family, hike or hunt in the private outlands during cooling seasons.

In the blink of an eye Sehun understood today’s dinner was introducing Namjoo to their extending family.

As the family of three closed in, Namjoo throatily gasped, covering with her hands. Sehun glanced at her just as she slid to hide behind him. He couldn’t search for her in time as Namjoo pinched at his blazer shifting right and left. Straight ahead he caught his cousin curiously tiptoeing to find her. He, too, following Namjoo’s movements as if they were playing cat and mouse.

“Hi auntie, it’s been a while.” Sehun greeted.

“Why Sehun, I heard you knocked someone up.” Hwayi chortled and glued his mouth shut upon his father’s glare.

“Congratulations Sehun.” His uncle remained courteous.

“So glad you could make it.” His father shook the other man’s hand.

“What is going on?” Aunt Na questioned, the only one taking notice that the star of the party was missing.

Slapping Namjoo’s hand currently gripping the back of his jacket, Sehun feigned an embarrassed smile.

“No, no, no,” Namjoo whispered quietly, “can we leave?”

“This is Namjoo.” His mother glanced over confused. Leaning forward she stared at him. “Where is she?”

Catching her hand, Sehun pried her firm grip off his jacket, forcefully tugging her forward. Namjoo’s foot landed with a stomp when she came up to his side. Breathing a laugh, Sehun locked his arm around her to prevent her from pulling another trick.

“Here, she’s here.” He smoothly smiled. He glanced at Namjoo to see her face turned away and whispered, “Stop it. What is wrong with you?”

Proudly crooning, his mother boasted, “Isn’t she just lively. I think she’s the perfect fit.”

“I can’t really see her face.” Aunt Na blinked.

“Namjoo, don’t be shy. This is your mother’s sister. Call her Aunt Na,” his mother gently urged.

Pressured under all eyes watching, Sehun waited for her to do the right thing. Finally, in slow motion Namjoo slowly turned. Hesitantly raising a hand, “Hello, Aunt Na.”

“Why, she’s all right.” Aunt Na straightened. “She’s pregnant?”

His mother giggled clapping her hands together. “I have to tell you the story. Come on, to the table. Let’s sit down first.”

“Come now,” his father encouraged Namjoo, “don’t starve now.”

Putting his arm around Uncle Na the two men walked off. Sehun glanced at Hwayi to find an expression of amusement lighting up his crooked grin. But he wasn’t looking at him. His eyes were set steadfast on Namjoo who was now uneasily staring at the floor.

“Let’s not let the food go cold now. Shall we?” Extending his arms, he cocked a brow waiting for Namjoo to move first.

Pressing her lips together, Namjoo glanced at him. Walking out of his arm she sauntered ahead. Hwayi was quick to follow.

“Let’s sit together,” he suggested, “Namjoo.”

Leaving the seat closest to the edge of the table empty, Namjoo sunk down. He grabbed the back of the chair next to her, but Sehun snatched it just as fast and stepped forward shoving him aside.

“Sit over there.” He directed.

The cousin scoffed. Heading around them he sat at the seat Namjoo hadn’t taken.

“You won this time, little tiger.” Hwayi leaned forward teasing him.

“Don’t play rough now.” Uncle Na warned. “We’re not staying tonight.”

“Aw, dad.” Hwayi played.

“Now, now boys,” his mother started. “Namjoo, this is Sehun’s cousin. They grew up together. You should get to know him like your own brother.”

“Yes, I’ll be a very good brother to her.” Hwayi promised glancing at Namjoo too happily.

“When are you getting married Hwayi?” his father asked. “Now that Sehun is finally settling down, you should start looking for someone, too.”

“If he stops fooling around,” Uncle Na scolded.

“Let him enjoy himself. There’s no reason not to.” Aunt Na defended her only son. “Men will decide when they want to mature. Look at Sehun. It took him so long to finally decide to grow up. He’s learned to come around.”

“I cut the meat up for you.” Hwayi carefully lifted up a piece of sawed steak onto Namjoo’s plate.

“Yes, thanks.” Namjoo said.

She lifted her fork and spoon prepared to stab the first piece. Sehun snatched the dish from right under her nose replacing it with his full plate of food.

“It’s your favorite.” He said and shot Hwayi a glance, curious what the cousin was up to and how Namjoo knew him. This strange behavior between them was ruining the quick dinner he wanted it to be.

“But I wanted the meat.” Namjoo whined.

He gritted his jaw in retaliation.

“Hwayi’s a sweet boy, he just haven’t met the right girl yet. Look at him,” Aunt Na proclaimed.

“Sehun give her the plate back.” His mother scolded.

Great, now he was doing everything wrong.

His dad chuckled as if drunk. “He’s just being jealous. Now, there’s a lot of meat. You can have all of it if you want.” He consoled Namjoo and leaned over to put some on her plate. “Don’t be angry now.”

From the other side, Hwayi quietly laughed ticking Sehun off.

“Then, will Sehun be getting married right away?” Aunt Na wondered.

“That’s what we’re hoping for.” His mother chimed in.

“Looks like the baby’s not far along. This is the right time for the bride to find a beautiful fitting dress. Once she starts gaining weight, it just ruins the appearance and makes everything difficult.” Aunt Na shook her head.

“How do we know the baby’s real?” Hwayi jumped in. A deathly silence dropped in.

“You see, that’s just how we knew.” His mother calmly explained. “It was that first night Sehun brought her home and we saw a pregnancy test.” Glancing at him and Namjoo, “Right, dear?”

Awkwardly smiling, Namjoo was forced to nod her head.

His father’s rowdy laugh shifted the tight tension. “Let’s not strain her too much. It must be stressful for her. Now, let’s talk about something happier.”

Dinner gave him such a headache. Since it was getting late, Sehun called it a night and bid farewell, promising to chit and chat with his aunt and uncle. There was no regards given to Hwayi before he pulled Namjoo out of the main manor.

There was a whole lot of talking and explaining she needed to do for her act back there. She was just becoming more unbelievable by the day!

He didn’t talk to her before they walked inside. “What the hell was that?”

“Maybe you need to tell me why I have to meet your aunt and uncle when this is all fake?” Namjoo demanded.

His chest rose frustrated. “I did not know they were coming. Now, you. How do you know Hwayi?”

Namjoo glanced away like it was a secret.

“What? Your boyfriend? Your ex? You better swear it’s neither.” He warned.

“Of course not!” Namjoo rashly denied. “I may have just…” she pinched her fingers together and hesitantly finished, “entertained him a few times.”

“What?!” he literally screeched.

“Well, how do you think I came across the likes of you?” Namjoo poured salt over him. Metaphorically saying. “I’m not a designated driver. I work as an at the club.”

His mouth gaped open. His face said it all.

“I’m not a e!” Namjoo yelled into his face. “I’m just paid to keep a bored person company.”

He stared at her not sure he believed her tale. “And Hwayi?”

She shrugged. “What do you think? I played pool with him, we went to karaoke bars, had drinks and talked. He took me to watch an opera once.”

Sehun narrowed his eyes at her. Really thinking now he’d chosen Namjoo too impulsively. Their attention flew to the door as it rang. Eyeing her to stay still he answered it. Hwayi sneakily smiled from the other side.

Holding up a bag of oranges and flowers Sehun was confident he’d snatched off the counter in the bedroom corridor, he said, “Is Namjoo there?”

He about shut the door in his face before Hwayi glanced inside and spotted Namjoo. Shoving the oranges into Sehun’s arms, he held up the flowers, “I’m glad you’re still up. Mind coming outside for a minute?”