Future

Parental Guidance

Yerim casually walks through the calm street examining the lined up cafés, thinking which one they should try to spend their date for the day. She spots a small cafe in the alley, brick wall with window big enough to show the counter from the outside. An old looking bicycle hanging on the wall beside the window, pretty weird Yerim thinks but she had to admit it makes a pretty good decoration.

Yerim goes to the counter and scans the menu when the cashier stares at her, probably thinking how he should address her. "It's my niece." She says to him, still pondering whether to get some latte or frappé with tiramisu or brownie. The cashier looks relieved to get some information so he could address her right. He looks at the small human being carried in front of his customer and gives her a silly face to make her laugh. Unfortunately to him, she doesn't respond and turns her head to look at her care taker. Kinda embarrassed, he clears his throat and change his attention to the adult.

"Can i get your order, miss?"

"Yes, i will get an iced latte and a slice of brownie. Um, do you add sugar in the latte?"

"We can add it if you want."

"Well then, i would like to have it with a pump of sugar."

"Okay, anything else miss?"

"Do you have anything for babies?"

"I'm afraid we don't have it here, but we can make a babyccino for her?"

"Oh, no no no it's okay. Just a latte and brownie then."

"If you say so."

Yerim looks around the cafe to find a table for them. The cafe is not big, only one stories with indoor and outdoor room. She chose to sit inside in the farthest corner of the room, she doesn't like the sunlight and it might be too hot for Sori.

She asks for a baby chair and put Sori down on it, securing her well and taking out her snacks. Glad she brings her biscuits with her or else Sori would just stare at her with nothing to eat or munch in the cafe. Well, she should thank her cousin for it actually. Seungwan was nagging at her on Sori's necessities since lunch, she suggested to take Sori to wander around the neighborhood after she saw how busy Seungwan's work was even at home. Bless her boring final year's life (She feels sympathy to her cousin who has been working hard lately to finalize her projects sooner so she doesn't have to worry about anything when her little family have their trip to Canada but Yerim doesn't want to say it.)

A tall woman enters the cafe with her mask on, she going straight to the counter and swiftly orders without elaborating. 'The usual' she says to the cashier, he nods and prepares her order. The said woman going to the farthest corner, her usual table everytime she came to the café. Table that never occupied by anyone everytime she came has one person seated there with a baby. She quirked her eyebrow on the rare occasion but shrugged it off and chose the table on the side. When she seated, she takes a look on the baby's face and surprised that she recognise her.

"Sori-ah?" Yerim quickly turns her head when she hears someone calls her niece and found a woman who looking suspicious with her mask on and bucket hat staring at them.

"Joy unnie?"

"Wait, Yerim isn't it? Seungwan unnie's sister?"

Both adult show their relieved faces and smile softly to each other. Yerim offers to share their table after some brief exchanges and Joy tells her that their table is her usual table. Yerim talks to her in comfortable manner while enjoying her treat and Joy does the same thing. It is better for them both to talk like that without Seungwan and Seulgi, not that they annoy them or something it's just that they can talk to each other without the couple who obviously trying to make them together. It feels friendly and less pressuring for them.

Joy tells Yerim that she has been coming to the café everytime she's on break. Yerim also tells her how she ended up hanging out with her one and only niece. While the adult talking and bonding with each other, the youngest person in the room just munching her biscuits. The biscuit is already half eaten and now Sori starts to eat her hands on the way. Joy saw it and tries to fix the her grip on the biscuit but Sori whines and almost cry.

"I won't take it, you'll hurt your hands!" Joy says and tries to fix it again but Sori pull her hands away.

Yerim just giggles watching the two, "Just let her be, she doesn't like it when anyone touch her food."

"You really are Seulgi unnie's daughter, huh?"

"Anyways, unnie. How did get close with Seungwan unnie? She rarely come to Seulgi unnie's work but you seem so close to her. If i didn't know, i think you have a crush on her." Yerim doesn't mean the latter, she says it without thinking and laugh about it. Joy is shocked to say, is it that obvious, she asks to herself. She is thinking what to say but Yerim realized she is not laughing with her. The realisation hits her and she gets curious. "You do have a crush on her, aren't you?"

"I did." Joy replies quickly, she doesn't want the sister of her crush going to think she is some kind of homewrecker.

"How?"

Joy sighs contemplating whether she should talk about it or not but she has moved on and maybe there is no harm in telling another person about it. Seungwan knew it, she has confessed before. Even Seulgi knew it but now they are okay, they are in best friends term now.

Joy starts her story on how she met Seulgi first in their current company, both were trainees back then. Seulgi joined the company 3 years earlier before her. Months later there was some rumor that a vocalist will join the trainees and that was Seungwan. The three of them soon became close and Joy developed her crush on Seungwan because of her caring nature. Seungwan would tell her some of her singing techniques and ask her everything. Long story short Seungwan left the company after trained for a year, she and Seulgi continued to train but Seulgi chose to not pursue idol career and join the company in the A&R division that made her became the director that she is today. She met Seungwan again years later when Seulgi invited her on their engagement party and the rest is history.

"So have you moved on from my sister when you guys met again?" Yerim asks after a long silence ingesting the story.

"Honestly no, i still have feelings for her even after she was born." Joy turns her attention to Sori who is currently on Yerim's hold her formula and smiled sadly.

"You like her that much, huh?" Yerim wants to be mad at her but she also feels sorry for her. Keeping your feelings for the same person for years and letting her go is not easy.

"I can't help it." She smiles again, Sori's cheeks that reminds her of her mom's. Said baby is done with her formula and fussing in Yerim's hold indicating her sleepiness so Yerim place her on shoulder and rocking her to sleep.

"Yeah, our family has that charm."

"You do."

"Of course i do, can't you see how gorgeous i am?" Joy just laughs instead of replying.

They decided to head back home because Sori has passed out in Yerim's arm. Joy offers to take them home after she saw Yerim struggling with her bags and Sori. Joy insist to bring their bag until they reach home.

When they arrive, Seulgi welcomes them home and asks Joy to stay for dinner. Joy wants to decline at first, afraid to disturb their family dinner but Yerim makes her hard to say no after spending their time together this afternoon. Seulgi takes Sori into her arms and ruffles Yerim's hair and tells her to take Joy to the kitchen and helps her sister.

"How did you guys came here together?" Seungwan asks once they start seating for their dinner. It's surprising to her because they just met once on their dinner months ago and now they are here on their own and spending their afternoon together. "I thought you don't like her?" She says mischievously to Yerim.

"I didn't say that! I like her!" Yerim says defensively.

"Oh~" Seulgi says mockingly nudging her ribs. Yerim is a embarrassed by now obvious from her red face glaring at Seulgi and tries to hold her in law by the neck. Joy is laughing seeing her response and the antics they do.

Dinner goes smooth and well with a few teasing from the married couple and compliments from Joy on how great the food is. Joy feels homey, maybe telling Yerim what she feels helps. She doesn't feel jealous on the couple at all but thankful. She should thank Yerim later, she wish she could have what they have later.

 

A/N:

A little throwback on their past so how do y'all think?