Toronto

Parental Guidance

"Come on, take the money!"

"She going to take the book believe me."

"No way, that book is huge. I believe she will get the ball, that smiley drawing sure does the trick."

"That's cheating!"

Four pair of eyes watch Sori closely, luring her to take their desired items served in front of her. Dressed in pink hanbok she is seated in the middle of the table before her. There are items her parents prepared for her first birthday celebration. It's a tradition for korean to celebrate their children's first birthday with doljabi to foresee their children's fortune. A golf ball, a toy microphone, a fifty dollar bill, a small pringles original flavor (Seulgi insisted because she thinks it's the tastiest) and a book are spread neatly on the table.

Sori takes her times to examines the items. Her grandparents put the book, money and golf ball closest to her. She reach for the money but doesn't take it and her grandfather groan startling the birthday baby and pulls back to her chair.

"Dad!"

"Sorry, girls."

Sori turns her attention to the items again and put her hand on the book. The squeals from her mom and grandmother are heard but soon died down and everybody in the room are shocked when Sori grabs the toy microphone. Nobody expect her to take it since it's the farthest from her and none of them lure her into it. The silence doesn't take long when Seulgi goes to Sori and embrace her.

"Oh my god, my daughter is going to be a singer!" Seulgi says happily and peppering her baby with kisses. The other three adults giggle and take turns to hold Sori and congratulate her.

"Music really runs in our blood, isn't it?" Seungwan's father tells Sori even though knowing well she can't understand what he says. "Maybe this time it won't be just a hobby and you can continue on what your mother and Poppa left."

Seungwan smiles to hear what her father tells her daughter. She can feel her mother holds her hand and squeezes it. Seungwan see Sori swinging the toy back and forth in her father embrace with Seulgi beside them showing the youngest in the room how to use the toy.

After finishing the doljabi they continue to celebrate Sori's birthday party in western style. Seungwan's mother brings the cake she and Seungwan made last night to the living room. Candles decorating the top with 'Happy Birthday Sori' written on it.

"Before we let our baby blow the candles even though she can't," Seungwan's father giggles on his own joke and his wife clears he continues. "This is a celebration for everyone, not only her birthday. This is for Sori, thank you for being born and live in this world. For our daughters, thank you for being amazing mothers and also for us, thank you for making our dream come true to be grandparents."

"Happy birthday Sori, happy 1st anniversary mothers, and happy 1st anniversary grandparents!" Seungwan's father finish his speech and brings Sori closer to the cake. They blow the candles together (well her grandfather did) and the others cheer them.

Later in the afternoon, the Kangs play on the backyard of Seungwan parent's house. Sori learns to walk with Seulgi's help while Seungwan watch them on the porch. Soon after Mr. Shon joins her daughter to watch the duo that no longer standing but playing on the ground instead. Seungwan tells them half yelling to be careful not to eat the grass and dirt then chuckles when Sori screams happily to see lady bug and ants on the grass.

"I still can't believe my pooper-pants has made another pooper-pants." Mr. Shon giggles and Seungwan gives him a glare.

"Stop calling me that!"

"It's cute." Seungwan just pouts and ignore her dad. "Have you decided on her english name?"

"She's still a baby she doesn't need it yet."

"Wendy Quinn Shon". Her dad says sternly, Seungwan knows her dad isn't mad and just say her full english name to annoy her. It would be a doom when her mother did that. When her mother calls her with it she knew she's in a huge trouble.

Like that time back when she was 6, she ran without care in the park on their old neighborhood and bumps into a smaller kid that caused him to fell into his knees and cried. Her mom called and brought her home. She ended up standing in the corner of her bedroom sniffling with her arm raised. Or that time when she ditched her piano lessons and went to lined up for getting the latest album of Avril Lavigne. She ended up with no allowance for a month.

Seulgi comes to the porch with a full of dirt Sori and approach her wife and in-law. "What do you think suit her best, Dad?"

"Come on, not you too, Seulgi."

"She might need it later." Seulgi argues, Mr. Shon smirks and high-fived her.

"This is why i let you marry Seungwan." Seungwan groans and takes Sori inside the house to bathe her. Not forgetting to give glares to her dad and wife.

Seulgi shares a knowing look with her father in-law and after a second they call Seungwan in unison. "Wendy Quinn Shon!"

Seungwan heads inside with her eyes rolled. This is the only thing she dislikes when she visits home with Seulgi. Her wife and father bonds too well especially on teasing her and Seungwan being always the easy one to teased is helpless in front of them.

The thought of her daughter english name suddenly bugging her mind when she gives Sori a bath. Giving it means she will eventually let Sori to go abroad, it happens to her. Basically it happens to her whole family since letting their kids to experience different cultures abroad is a tradition for the Shons but she's not ready. Will she be when the time has come?

Thinking about it again her daughter is not a Shon, she takes after Seulgi's name even she herself takes Seulgi's name. Ever since marrying Seulgi 6 years ago she became Kang Seungwan even though she is still Wendy Shon for business related. But still no matter what name she and her daughter takes after they still part of the Shons, once a Shon always a Shon like what her father said.

Suddenly Seungwan giggles to herself when Sori cups her face with her small and full of soap hands stopping her thoughts. It is silly of her to think that far, it's not even that deep but her overthinking-self made it like that. She finishes Sori with her bath as Sori keeps trying to stands up out from the bathtub.

"Adele."

"What?" Seungwan snaps her attention towards Seulgi who just blurts out a name as they enjoying their post dinner snacks in the living room with her parents.

"Dad and i talked this afternoon, we think Adele sounds perfect for Sori."

"We still talking about this?" Seungwan sighs and  looks at her mother on the other side of the couch pleading for help.

Her mother just shrugs. "Sounds good to me."

"You like it Adele?" Mr. Shon asks Sori who munching her biscuit in his hold. Looks like not only Seulgi that bonds with her father everytime they met, Sori seems to be attached with her father ever since they came to her parent's house. "Poppa works hard for it, you know that baby?" Sori answers with her eyes and drool drops on her chin.

"Yeah she likes it." Seulgi says giggling after Sori's drool feel on her Poppa's hand. "Adele Kang sounds gorgeous, don't you think so, love?" Seulgi wraps her arm around Seungwan's shoulder and wriggles her eyebrows. "Besides, the meaning is noble, kind and also we all seen her grabbed that mic so it would be really good if she could become a really good singer just like Adele."

Seungwan sighs again, the name is gorgeous and the reasons are pretty good. Might as well just agree with it. "Okay."

"Okay? Like okay you agree with us or just okay okay to stop this conversation?"

"I agree with it." Seungwan says patting her wife's cheeks softly. "I like it, honey. Adele Kang sounds pretty but just Adele Kang don't add any middle name." She squish her cheeks and Seulgi nods.

"Hey, Seulgi. Did SM accept a year old baby to be a trainee?" Mr. Shon and his another antics.

"I'm not sure, Dad. But i can convince Boa unnie to accept her early."

"Don't give him any ideas!"

Someone better save Seungwan quick.

 

 

 

A/N:

  1. Wendy once mentioned her dad called her pooper-pants when she was little on the radio, i forgot which one but it was on red summer era i guess. I add it because it's cute lol
  2. Btw Wendy Quinn Shon isn't her real name i just made it up🤪

Anyways idk what i wrote really, it was just a spur of the moment and i didn't check it. Do you think Adele Kang suits Sori or nah? If yall don't think so what would be better? And i might or might not gave a slight idea on why wendy stopped her trainee🥴