Coming back home

We can’t be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 14

 

 

 

 

“Did you come here because of her?” asked Seojun. “Do you still-..?”

 

“No..” said Taehyung firmly.

 

They were waiting for Jisoo at the hotel’s lobby.

 

“I came here because of Jungkook’s engagement..” he said explaining himself.

 

“Are your feelings-..?” asked Seojun.

 

“I don’t have any feelings left for her, dad..” he said without hesitation.

 

But as soon as he said that, he closed his fists tight.

 

What is he trying to do? Why is he defending himself like crazy?

 

“I envy you..” his dad replied. 

 

Taehyung was staggered. Why would he envy him? What is his dad saying?

 

“I still haven’t forgotten her mom..” Seojun continued.

 

That broke his heart again. He made his dad bear with that pain for four years.

 

He lowered his gaze to the floor. He couldn’t look into his eyes directly. He feels bad for him. He still feels guilty for taking away his happiness from him.

 

Then they saw Jisoo coming out of the elevator.

 

She was wearing a yellow cardigan that illuminated her face. It reminds him of those old days.. she still lights up the place everywhere she goes. She’s really a ball of good vibes.. someone you would want to keep in your pocket..

 

He looked away immediately as soon as he met her eyes.

 

“You’re leaving already?” asked Seojun seeing the luggage she was carrying. “Why don’t we eat lunch together?”

 

Jisoo refused his offer politely. She doesn’t want him to spend even a cent for her. He isn’t related to her at all.. she doesn’t have the right to accept anything from him.

 

“Then will you at least sit with us and talk to me for a minute?”he begged her.

 

She knows what he’s going to say. He will try to persuade her again about college. And he already knows how she’s going to reply to him.

 

“Haven’t you changed your mind yet?” he asked. “I wish you would give it some thought Jisoo..”

 

She shook her head. Nothing could change her mind. She has already accepted her fate. And she will be happy.. maybe not right now but she will be happy someday..

 

“My answer is still the same..” she replied.

 

Taehyung couldn’t follow what they were talking about. What is it that she keeps on refusing his dad with?

 

Jisoo looked at her watch and stood up.

 

“I’m afraid I have to leave you now..” she said bowing her head.

 

“Then let me take you to the port..” said Seojun. “I can do that for you at least, right?”

 

But she refused again. She doesn’t want to burden him with anything. She wants him to relieve himself.. 

 

“I’ll just take a taxi..” she said bowing her head again. “Thank you..”

 

She went out leaving the father and son behind.

 

Seojun sighed as he saw her going out of the door. It’s been two years already since he tried talking about it with her. But she won’t give him a chance.. not a single chance..

 

“Is something wrong?” asked Taehyung holding his arm. “You look bothered dad..”

 

Seojun tried to smile as he shrugged those heavy shoulders.

 

“I know she’s having it difficult but she won’t let me help her..” he said. “I just want to fulfill Hannah’s last wish..”

 

Taehyung’s eyes narrowed. He can’t quite understand him. 

 

“Jisoo has been working non stop for two years..” he continued. “She took over her mom’s restaurant.. and she couldn’t even finish school..”

 

It rattled his heart. She was someone who loved studying. She was always eager to learn new things. What did she ever do in her life to deserve all this suffering?

 

Things that his mom told her kept echoing in his mind. She was right. He had to be thankful he was born rich. It was true other people couldn’t even afford to study.

 

He felt sorry once again to her. If he hadn’t fallen for her four years ago, she would have already fulfilled her dreams, her mom wouldn’t have gotten ill and could have taken the best medications.. but he, a fool, destroyed her life. 

 

His dad went back to the hospital right away because he had a lot of things to take care of.

 

Taehyung went out a few minutes later. The wind was becoming colder each day.. it was about that time that he started liking her.. that chilly afternoon she ran to hug him.. that she smile she put on her face while a leaf fell on her hair.. that picture is still engraved in his mind.

 

He was going to his car when he noticed Jisoo sitting down at the bus stop.

 

He was standing just behind the stop observing what she was doing busily.

 

She was counting the money she had in her wallet. She should have just accepted his dad’s offer to give her a ride but she was being too stubborn.

 

She still hasn’t changed. She’s still that stubborn girl who refuses to lose everytime.

 

He approached her slowly until he was standing just beside her.

 

“What are you still doing here?” he asked. “You said you’d take a taxi..”

 

Jisoo was startled by his sudden appearance.

 

“It’s just.. I couldn’t find a taxi..” she said standing up.

 

Taehyung pointed to his back. The taxis were all parked just behind them.

 

“Then what do you call those?” he asked. “Were you planning to take a bus?”

 

“Ohhh.. Yes..” she replied shamelessly. “Taking a bus is more eco-friendly.. there’ll be less traffic too..”

 

She was clearly just saving her money. She hopes he doesn’t say anything else to her.. She already feels embarrassed.

 

“Then let me take you there..” he said. “Since I’m driving towards that direction, I’ll give you a ride.. you like being eco-friendly, don’t you?”

 

And there he goes.. 

 

He took her luggage from her.

 

“No.. I’ll just take the-..” 

 

Before she could even say a word, Taehyung was already far ahead.

 

“I didn’t know you could already drive..” said Jisoo following after him. “You should have taken your license earlier so you could have taken me to-...”

 

She covered before she could say another word. She keeps on blabbering things she shouldn’t even mention.

 

Taehyung looked at her for what seemed to be a whole minute. What was he thinking while staring at her that intensely? He was making her feel small..

 

He opened the front door asking her to get on.

 

“Can’t I just sit at the back?” she asked closing the door again. “I think it’s better for me to sit-..”

 

“Am I your driver?” he asked opening it again. “Just sit beside me..”

 

She pouted her lips as she got on his car. Those pouting lips of her whenever she felt wronged.. he has missed them dearly.

 

She sat still while grabbing tight on the seatbelt as if her life depended on it. Well, it did depend on it..

 

Her eyes were glued outside the window, not even sparing him a glance even though her neck was being stiff after staying like that for over fifteen minutes.

 

Taehyung kept stealing glances at her while driving.

 

“Won’t you let me see your face?”

 

“It’s been a while since we last sat this close”

 

“If I had had a license back then, I might have really ran away with you”

 

“We could have seen the sunrise together just like what you wanted to..”

 

He was saying those things to her in his mind. 

Only through his mind, he could tell her what he really wants to tell her.. 

 

Shortly after, they arrived at the port where Jisoo had to wait for the boat.

 

“Thanks for the lift..” she said while she unbuckled her seatbelt. 

 

“I’ll wait until you get on the boat safely..” he said before alighting to take her luggage.

 

They both sat on the bench while waiting. 

Jisoo was thinking about the time they went to Nokdo to celebrate his birthday four years ago.

She felt the happiest back then. 

 

She absentmindedly looked at him while thinking about how he had to stay on bed the whole day because of his seasickness. 

She smiled as she recalled those memories.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” asked Taehyung bashfully. “You make me-..”

 

“Your birthday is coming up, isn’t it?” said Jisoo. “Where are you celebrating it?”

 

He gulped looking at her eyes glittering. Her tears were threatening to fall.

He’s making her sad just sitting beside her.

 

“Uhmm.. I don’t know..” he said. “I don’t celebrate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter