『30』

Lost Piece II: Refitting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'll send you my live location. If I don't update you in three hours, track us down— I... I'm not sure either but— I'll explain later."

 

Jungsoo ended the call with Kyuhyun after asking the younger for a favor to back them up if that bastard turned out to be lying and was actually planning cunning deeds. He took a deep breath as he inserted his keys, and started his car. The man beside him was still motionless, staring blankly outside the window, ignoring all of his questions whatsoever. 

 

"Are you sure, Chul?" 

 

It did not surprise him, to be honest, when Heechul suddenly suggested that they followed Zhoumi to his house to check on the kid. But it was Zhoumi they were talking about, he was probably as foxy as Nara, if not worse. No one knew what would happen once they got to the house and calling Kyuhyun for a backup was the least thing he could do. However, noticing that his husband was being a little quiet only meant that Heechul's decision was final. And he could only wish that what Zhoumi said was not a cap. 

 

 

 

«────── « ⋅♥⋅ » ──────»

 

 

 

Jungsoo winced his eyes as soon as he got out of the car. This place was not what he remembered as Zhoumi's house. This small, shabby apartment building was drastically different compared to the big house Zhoumi owned where he confronted Nara back then. But judging from the natural gestures Zhoumi showed with the security and stuff, it was safe to assume that it was indeed where he lived now. 

 

"Lead the way," he commanded to Zhoumi, persistently holding Heechul's hand just in case something happened. And after taking the elevator, it did not take long before Zhoumi stopped in front of a unit, waiting for them. Jungsoo was never absent from looking around cautiously until they were already in front of the place. 

 

"It's here," Zhoumi pushed the door open and for a split second, all they could see was darkness—pitch black. The apartment reeked dust and trashes. It was almost impossible to imagine living there. Even after the host flicked the lamp on, it was still not as bright as it needed to be. All the curtains were shut close, empty takeouts littering the floor causing Heechul to almost stumble here and there if not for Jungsoo holding him close. 

And among the dimmed light, his eyes were immediately drawn to the sleeping kid on the sofa. He hitched his breath; his heart ached seeing how pitiful this boy was. Thin figure curling up in the sofa, ruffled hair, and just— just reminded him of how he and Kibum looked back then. He could not help but to walk to him closer. His chest felt so heavy as if there was a big rock preventing him from breathing properly. This kid must have suffered so much and to imagine what he had gone through was enough to make him faint. He glanced at Zhoumi and finally allowed himself to caress the kid's head. However, the moment he brushed his hair like he always did to Hyukjae or Donghae, his eyes widened. 

Something was not right. 

 

"He was burning!" he yelled, looking back at Jungsoo and Zhoumi.

"Bring him to the hospital. He's burning for sake!" 

 

 

 

«────── « ⋅♥⋅ » ──────»

 

 

 

"For the time being, we assume that the burning is one of the symptoms of gastroenteritis. It is a common case in children due to its quick spread. But we still need to conduct some more thorough check-ups. However," the doctor paused, eyeballing the file in his hand. It made not only the father of the kid nervous, but Heechul was as impatient. It was easy to tell from the doctor's expression that there was more than a common illness. There was something serious happening and Heechul was not ready to know. 

 

"Your son's growth and development are not increasing at the expected rate based on his age. It's much much slower and usually, it's a red flag. I'm afraid that it indicates... Uhm," the doctor seemed nervous. 

"Malnutrition."

 

Heechul felt like his blood rushed leaving his body that he had to hold Jungsoo's hand for dear life. The fact that Zhoumi did not even budge or react only proved that the latter knew it would happen. And it pained Heechul to see the parents had given up. Malnutrition—he knew it was as scary as it sounded. Just what the hell did Zhoumi and Nara think that they neglected their kid's health? 

 

"One more thing, Mr. Zhoumi. Hyungjin keeps mumbling 'Mommy' so if the person he refers to is here. Please inform the nurse as soon as possible."

 

The doctor finally left them alone; no one dared to speak nor move after not very shocking news about Hyungjin's health. But for Heechul, the last part was the worst. Hyungjin was looking for Nara while he was at the lowest and the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter