『14』

Lost Piece II: Refitting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been the longest fifteen minutes Heechul had ever gone through in his life. The moment he reached the daycare with Hyukjae, it somehow did not surprise him that another person was a step ahead of him, waiting for Donghae. And although he kept saying that it was for the better, accepting the kids' mother wholly was still a tough one. Moreover, when he knew for sure he was the one who should step aside for the sake of the kids. He could not be any happier that Hyukjae was still holding his hand as tight even after he persuaded the kid to open his heart for his mother again. 

Hyukjae, still, did not leave him. 

 

"Y-you're here," was all Heechul could say to greet the woman who was busy with her phone sitting on a bench in front of the daycare. Nara looked up and it might only be his hallucinations, but he could see some unusual glint from her eyes—the one that told him to back away. But she smiled afterward, dismissing his own worries, and stood up. 

"Yeah. I gotta get the kids too," she said simply, hands trying to touch Hyukjae but the kid unconsciously dodged. They were quite lucky that the small incident did not manage to put them in an awkward situation as Donghae suddenly ran outside towards her. Her. 

"Mommy!" 

 

His throat suddenly felt so dry, almost suffocating as if there was a pair of invincible hands choking him. He could not explain the nagging feeling inside his heart. It almost felt like he was—he screamed at himself for ever being like this—betrayed. The idea that Donghae, and it was a matter of time before Hyukjae too, found their mother again scared him. Again, it should not be like that. He was a kid of a broken home and it was a ty experience. It was as ty as how he saw himself right now. He should be okay to share the loved that was hers, to begin with. 

 

"Anyway, Heechul-ssi. I'm planning to take my kids for lunch today," she smiled sweetly as she heaved Donghae on her hips. 

"Us only."

Heechul did not know why but her words slapped him hard that he nearly stumbled. Us only—he wanted to laugh and then cry and then laugh again until he could sort out what he truly felt right now or even better—until he became numb. 

"Sure."

His voice was void. And they both were aware. 

"Great then."

Heechul saw her offering her hand for Hyukjae to take. But his—no, her— first son's hands were occupied, still clutching to his hand. He looked down at Hyukjae and the kid gave off this nervous, worried look on his face. Unfortunately, Hyukjae was not the only one who was anxious. He too. 

"It's okay. Go with your Mommy." 

"But Maw—" 

 

"Heechul sweetie— N-nara?!"

 

Heechul just turned around when his mother in law had marched towards them and suddenly pulled Hyukjae away from them, or her. From the look on her face, he knew Mrs. Park was not having it; she was raged but somehow she could suppress her anger. 

"Hello again, Mrs. Park."

It was the way Nara enunciated her words that Heechul found quite annoying. And perhaps, he was not the one who felt that way as Mrs. Park seemed so pissed off, not that she was not, to begin with. She came to his side and went into full defensive mode. 

"Why— I mean... How—" 

Mrs. Park was having difficulty in picking up words without sounding so apparent that meeting Nara was the last thing she wanted. She glanced at Heechul and his expression was as clear as day. She sighed and willed down her urge to express her anger all at once. Having Heechul to be more troubled was not what she fancied. She was aware that judging from the attitude this woman showed, it was obvious that Jungsoo fell into a dilemma in facing his ex-wife. 

So, she had to change her gameplay. 

 

"Heechul sweetie, have you eaten yet? Let's grab some lunch together."

Mrs. Park had to swallow her grin when she noticed that Nara reacted to the way she talked to Heechul. Hitting the spot—it was what she exactly aimed. She wanted to show her that Heechul had her full support. 

"You can join us, though, Mrs. Park. We're going to the restaurant on the next block."

Heechul was taken aback when Nara openly invited his mother-in-law on her so-called exclusive lunch agenda. He heard it loud and clear that she wanted to be with the kids only. But her being indecisive confused him. 

"I'd love to, Nara-ssi, but I'm having my own agenda with my son-in-law if you did not hear it well."

Heechul caught a glimpse of how sour Nara's face was when Mrs. Park did a counterattack and suddenly grabbed his hand, pulling him away from the group. But he had taken a note; Mrs. Park was not on good terms with her former daughter in law. 

 

 

 

«────── « ⋅♥⋅ » ──────»

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter