『05』

Lost Piece II: Refitting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You can stop clinging to my arms, Wookie."

Heechul shook his head, smiling when Ryeowook eventually let go of him, being all pouty.

"I'm sorry, Hyung. I should've left the keys for you."

"It's okay. Geez, it's been the fourth time you apologize."

"Still," Ryeowook insisted, words laced with worries that Heechul did not know how to comfort his coworker. He glanced sideways and smiled upon seeing Hyukjae drinking his milk nicely beside Mrs. Han and Sungmin on the couch. However, it was impossible not to notice that Sungmin was still so defensive and cautious around Jungsoo—who chose to stay in the corner of the room instead of mingling around with the others. Occasionally, he would catch the latter stare at him but most of the time, his professor would pretend he was working on his laptop.

 

"When are you going to be discharged, Hyung?"

Ryeowook asked, sitting on a chair beside the bed. Heechul pondered for a moment, all the while still peeling the pear in his hand carefully.

"I'm not sure. I haven't met the doctor today. It's either tomorrow or the day after, perhaps," Heechul explained before he aimed a piece of pear into Donghae's mouth. The toddler had been sitting on his lap ever since Ryeowook, Mrs. Han, Sungmin, and Shindong came. Jungsoo had tried to take his son with him but to no avail. Donghae was persistent, crying if he was not with Heechul, and from the look on his eyes, he knew Donghae developed a kind of trauma he did not want to elaborate further.

"Ahh?"

Donghae immediately bit the piece, getting comfortable leaning to Heechul's chest while playing with the skin of the pear.

"Hyuk-ah?"

Heechul turned to the first son, attempting to offer a piece. Hyukjae smiled and rushed to get the fruit. And he did not know why but he felt that it was just right if he offered a piece to Jungsoo, too. Moreover, he knew his professor kept glancing in his direction. But, when he was about to call him, Shindong suddenly initiated a talk with him—unfortunately, about a matter he could not simply ignore.

 

"Anyway, about the Chinese restaurant. I've talked to the owner yesterday, telling him that you're sick at the moment. And don't worry, he said that you can still apply for the job once you've discharged."

Heechul beamed, nodding vigorously, "Thank you, Boss. I'll go there as soon as I'm out."

Little did he know, in the corner of the room, there was a person who was in a catastrophe hearing their conversation about job and stuff. Jungsoo could no longer focus on his work—not that he intended to finish one. His mind was full of thoughts about what Mrs. Han told him the other day; and what action he should take.

 

 

 

«────── « ⋅♥⋅ » ──────»

 

 

 

"You're getting a lot better, Mr. Kim. You may clean yourself with towels soaked in warm water and tomorrow morning you're most likely allowed to take a bath."

The nurse kindly explained and headed to one of the cabinets to grab some clean towels. Heechul thanked her after the check-up and she eventually took her leave. He sighed and turned to the person sitting beside his bed who looked so worn out for the latter had been here since yesterday when he woke up.

"Why didn't you go back with your mother and the kids earlier?"

Jungsoo stretched his limbs and got up, avoiding to look at Heechul, as he replied, "No one will look after you if I leave."

Heechul smiled, slightly touched on Jungsoo's thoughtfulness although he still had a slight doubt. The idea that Jungsoo only pitied him made him hesitant to be moved.

"It's okay, Prof. Park. I'm used to being alone. I'll be fine."

However, instead of answering him, Jungsoo walked to the bathroom with the towels from the nurse. He heard the water running and all he could do was wondering what his professor was doing there. His curiosity seemed to be immediately fed when Jungsoo came back, sleeves rolled to his elbows.

 

"What are you doing?"

Heechul was alarmed when Jungsoo suddenly helped him to get down from the bed and walked carefully to the bathroom. And still, Jungsoo was being all silent. Until they finally arrived at the bathroom and he saw that the bathtub had been filled half-full, with towels beside it. He turned to Jungsoo and tilted his head in the way of ques

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter