『03』

Lost Piece II: Refitting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Having gathered his stuff from the locker room, Heechul grabbed his bag and walked out of the staff room. He was just about to bid his goodbye to his coworkers when Shindong came out of his room.

"Oh, you're already leaving?"

"Yeah. I gotta get the kids from school. Do you need me to do something, Boss?"

Shindong beamed and shook his head, "No. But I have good news for you."

On that, Heechul seemed interested, looking at his employer expectantly.

"Really? Am I gonna be the new manager?" he joked to which Shindong rolled his eyes.

"In your dream! Anyway, I heard the Chinese restaurant in the next block is hiring a server. Just go there and if you get the job, we can talk about your shift here later."

Heechul's eyes lit up instantly, sparkling. He grabbed Shindong's hand swiftly and shook it, uttering his gratitude.

"Thank you. Thank you so much, Boss. I'll go there tomorrow. Thank you so much!"

 

Shindong's lips stretched wider as he patted his employee's shoulder. He nodded and dismissed Heechul's unending thanks. He sighed; there was something bothering his mind but he was too afraid to say it. However, it seemed that Heechul caught his uneasiness and well, if it was already like this, he better shared it.

"Why are you working so hard? Are you... In a bind?"

Heechul expected the question. He had indeed been working his off these days from doing double shifts here and looking for another part-time. And the reason was apparent.

"I want to rent my own flat. I've been staying at Wook's place for too long and... Although he never complained, it doesn't sit well with me that I keep on leeching him."

"Why don't you go back to the orphanage?"

Heechul smiled, "I don't have any rights to come back. There are many new kids that deserve the place."

Shindong nodded understandingly. He had been keeping his eyes on Heechul since he came back and the employee did work so hard although he looked so worn out, dark under eyes and a paler complexion. But, he was no one to tell him to take a rest; he was afraid Heechul would take it wrongly. And all he could do was to help him from afar.

 

"Speaking of Wook, where's he? He has the same shift as you right? Today?"

"Ah, he texted me earlier saying that he has to go back to his parents' house because his father is sick. I don't know when he'll come back, tho. I—"

Heechul stopped midsentence when he accidentally glanced at the big clock hanging on the wall. He was running late.

", I gotta go now, Boss. The boys must be waiting. Bye!"

Shindong followed Heechul's form until he disappeared, walking out of the entrance. He sighed and dropped his stare, finally saying the question he had been keeping.

"Why don't you come back to your husband? It's that easy."

 

 

 

«────── « ⋅♥⋅ » ──────»

 

 

 

Jungsoo threw his phone on the dining table; he was lucky enough it did not knock off his laptop. His mood had been in the nadir since this afternoon when his mother suddenly proposed a crazy idea to him.

The idea that he would never accept, ever again.

The idea that he should invite Heechul to live together again.

He found it so ridiculous that his mother was so defensive about Heechul but being all hateful towards his ex-wife while, in fact, both of them did the same thing—leaving them. His mother was too obvious that she was taking sides and it pissed him off so bad. And his kids—they were the same. His ears were close to bleeding listening to Hyukjae and Donghae rambling about Heechul this, Heechul that, Heechul every ing thing. He did not know what was going on that everybody seemed so forgiving to Heechul but he could not do the same. The pain still sat stubbornly inside his chest.

 

Jungsoo winced his eyes when his phone rang loudly, echoing in the whole room. He groaned and gave up, picking up the call.

"Hello, Jungsoo. What are you doing now? About my—"

"For God's sake, Mom. I said no," Jungsoo tried so hard not to snap at his mother. She did not deserve to be shouted at just because of a stupid matter like this.

"Listen, Jungsoo. Give him a chance. Hee—"

"Don't ever mention his name, Mother. I beg you... Please. Don't do this. It's already so painful. I can't—"

 

DING DONG

 

Jungsoo hung up the call after telling his mother that there was a guest and he was honestly relieved although it was somehow a bit strange to have someone visit his house at night. Whoever it was, he hoped the person had something that could cheer him up after all the series of torture he faced today. He jogged to the main door and—unlike his usual to check the intercom camera first—he swung the door open and it was the biggest mistake.

 

"Uh— H-hello, Prof. Park."

Jungsoo could not help but glare at the main reason all these s happening in his life. It was as if the moment he saw him, standing outside his house, he was thrown back to the day he still regretted until today—the day he decided to open the door f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter