Chapter 22

Istranded

     

   "Ma?" 

 

   "Anak.." Her mother responded.

 

   Confused face of irene was shown. Being called 'Anak' by her mother was not her cup of tea. She feels nauseous when she heard that to be honest. 

 

  Hindi alam ni irene kung anong dapat sabihin, she's shocked of course and the anger that she feel towards her mom is still there. 

 

  So she faced her dad. "Hi." She greeted and hugged him. Like her mom did not exist beside her dad. 

 

   "Hey, Joo-" Irene didn't let her dad talk because she knows that he'll just ask her to talk to her mom. 

 

   "I'll be at my room, call me if you need me or what.." Sabi nya.

 

   "Irene-" 

 

   "Pagod ako dad." She responded immediately to her dad. 

 

   "Aren't you going to greet your mother?" 

 

   "I already did." 

 

   "That's not-"

 

   "It's okay, Nic. Let her rest." Sagot ng nanay nya. 

 

    Dumiretso naman na si Irene papunta sa kwarto nya at sinundan din ito ni yeri.

 

     "What was that?" Tanong ni yeri nang makapasok sila sa kwarto ng kapatid nya.

 

     "What do you mean, what was that?" 

 

     "Akala ko ba kakausapin mo na si mama?" 

 

      Bumuntong hininga si Irene saka umupo sa kama nya. 

 

       "I will. Pero hindi ngayon, We literally just came from batangas yerms, tapos sya agad bubungad wala manlang pasabi? and why is she even here? and wait-" 

 

       "You've seen her too?" Yeri asked. 

 

       Irene looked at her window immediately. She saw the car earlier still parked across their house. 

 

       "What in the world-" Irene suddenly remembered who is it. 

 

       "It's her." Yeri said. 

 

       "I know and i talked to her earlier!" The frustration building up inside Irene. "And nakita mo rin sya and you didn't even say a word to me!" 

 

        "I wanted you and wendy to have some time earlier! Dahil alam kong you two haven't talked since that day. And noon ko lang din napansin na nandito nga sila Mama kaya i immediately ran inside to confirm." Paliwanag ni Yeri.

 

       Umupo naman na ulit si Irene sa kama nya looking annoyed. "Sinabi ba niya bakit siya nandito?" 

 

      "She's visiting dad daw. And she didn't know na we're coming home today." 

 

      "Visiting dad? Is that a routine now? bakit noon never naman syang nagpakita?" 

 

      "I dont know.. Maybe because they are in good terms now." Yeri said and sat beside her sister. 

 

       Irene knows that her parents are in good terms naman na,  she was just surprised why would she visit his dad like nothing happened between them? 

 

     "Ate, i saw Mama holding an envelope." Yeri said unexpectedly

 

     "Oh.." Irene responded. Right, yeri didn't know na maghihiwalay na for real ang mga magulang nila. 

 

     "Yeah.. Is it going to happen now?" Yeri asked.

 

     "It might be." 

 

     "Wala naman sigurong magiging problema kung kanino tayo mag siside right?"

 

      "No.. no.. legal age na tayo. Its doesn't matter who we choose to go with now. Maybe that's why they decided to do it now and not when we were still kids." 

 

      Tumango naman si Yeri at bumuntong hininga. "Wow, after so many years." Sabi nito.

 

      Irene looked at Yeri. Sadness can be seen through her eyes. So she went to hug her younger sister. 

 

      "It's going to be just fine." Irene assured her sister as she caress yeri's head. 

 

      "Pero ate, kelan mo planong i open up sa kanila problema mo?" Pag open ulit ni yeri saka humiwalay sa ate nya.

 

      "Anong problema ko lang, kasama kita." Sagot ni Irene.

 

     "Well... ate kasi.. mom already knows that i like girls.."

 

     "What???" Irene were shocked. 

 

     "Yeah, well.. the thing is.. we were still in touch since she left us.. i mean, since she left the house." 

 

     "Really? bakit hindi mo ako sinabihan?" There's an annoyance in Irene's voice but she's still trying to be calm. 

 

     "She doesn't want to. She knows how much you hate her ate, and her only way to check on you is through me. I even opened up to her about what happened to you and dad after she left us. She wanted to come back for us kaso tita sol were hospitalized that time." 

 

      Irene were trying to process the information that she received right now. She's confused af. For real. 

 

     "Wow. All this time she knew. she knew what's going on with dad, pero never manlang syang nagparamdam? kahit manlang to console us? We were still kids that time yerms. I just can't believe her." Anger were building up inside irene again. But she's trying to be calm as far as she can. 

 

     Hindi naman na sumagot si Yeri. She doesn't want to trigger irene again. And she doesn't want to overshare narin. Mas gusto nyang sa nanay nya mismo marinig ni Irene lahat.

 

    "Just, talk to them whenever you're ready. Or whenever you want to. Kumalma ka lang ate ha? i know how much anger you have deep inside you. But still, they are our parents. They raised us to be respectful towards them." 

 

     "I dont know anymore yerim..." Huling sagot nalang ng ate nya saka humiga sa kama nya. 

 

 

...........................................................

 

     "Labas ka, im here." 

 

     "Huh? Excuse me miss ma'am, but what happened to hi and hello?" She confusedly responded through her phone.

 

     Wendy chuckled. "We are way past that stage. Labas ka naaa ang init ditooo."

 

     Naglakad naman agad si Joy papunta sa labas ng gate nila. "Aba sino ba kasi may sabi na mag punta ka dito?" Sagot nya sa telepono.

 

     She sees wendy waiting at their gate. Dahil nakasunod rin si haetnim kay joy, agad rin itong tumakbo papunta sa gate at excited na tinahulan si wendy. 

 

     "Aweee hello haetieee" Bati ni wendy saka umupo para maabot si haetnim.

 

     "Why are you here??" Tanong ni Joy habang pinapapasok si Wendy. 

 

     "Namimiss kita." 

 

     "Arte."

 

     "Ouch!" Napa aray naman si wendy sa hampas sa kanya ni Joy. 

 

     Inabot ni wendy ang mga dala nyang pagkain kay Joy. At dahil kanina pa sya tinatalunan ni haetnim, binuhat na nya ito.  Di naman halata na sobrang namiss ni haetnim si wendy dahil sa pag himod nito sa mukha nya. 

 

   "Buti pa si haetnim kinikiss ako" Kunwaring nagtatampong sabi ni Wendy.

 

   "Edi halikan mo rin" 

 

   "Sungit ng mommy mo ah." sabi naman ni wendy kay haetnim saka sumunod kay Joy papasok sa loob. 

 

   Pagkapasok ni wendy, napansin nya agad na mukhang wala nanamang kasama sa bahay si Joy. "Im glad i came." Sabi ni wendy. 

 

    "Huh?" 

 

    "You didn't tell me na wala ka nanaman palang kasama sa bahay." 

 

    "I have haetnim?" 

 

    "Yeah but can haetnim cook for you?" Sabi ni wendy saka pumunta sa kitchen nila Joy. Chineck nya kung may pagkain. 

 

    "Kumakain ka ba?" Tanong ni Wendy. 

 

    "Oo, Hindi nga lang ngayon." Sagot ni joy saka sinundan si wendy sa kusina. 

 

     "Kahit breakfast, aleah?" 

 

     Tumango naman si Joy. "Kakagising ko palang din naman. Magluluto naman na sana ako for brunch kaso tumawag ka soooo nakalimutan ko na." 

 

     Bumuntong hininga si Wendy.  

 

    "May dala ka namang pagkain, okay na yun!" Sabi ni Joy

 

    Oo may dala nga si wendy, kaso puro fastfood and snacks naman, And ayaw nya naman na maging first meal ni Joy eh hindi healthy and proper for breakfast. 

 

     "That was supposed to be for snacks. Hindi pang breakfast. Those foods are unhealthy. Ipag luluto nalang muna kita ng proper meal." Sabi ni wendy saka kumuha ng mga pwedeng lutuin pang breakfast sa ref at sa stocks ng grocery nila Joy. 

 

     Joy smiled. She just looked at wendy being serious na pumili kung anong lulutuin nya. Kung pancakes ba, egg omelette, or silog.

 

    "What do you want?" Tanong ni wendy. 

 

    "Ikaw lang." 

 

    "Im being serious here miss ma'am." 

 

    "Me too." 

 

    "You can have me later, lei. For now proper breakfast muna." Wendy said smirking. 

 

    Joy was shocked. She knew how greasy wendy is when it comes to her words pero na shoshock parin talaga sya minsan sa mga sinasabi nito. Syempre with matching kilig parin. 

 

    "You're blushing." 

 

    "Shut up. Gusto ko ng rice." Joy said trying to avoid wendy's eyes. 

 

    Natawa naman si Wendy. "Okay, ma'am. One hotsilog coming right up." 

 

    Wendy cooked while Joy just watched wendy cook while having haetnim on her lap. 

 

    "What's with you today? Hindi ka naman ganyan?" Confused na tanong ni Joy. Dati kasi hindi naman nag susurprise visit tong si Wendy. Natatakot kasi yan lagi sa pamilya ni Joy. 

 

    "I told you, magbabago ako." 

 

    "You dont have to naman? I still like the old you."

 

   "I know. Ano lang to uhm, upgrade ganon? like wendy 2.0" 

 

  "Okay??? Please dont totally change just for me, wan."

 

  "I won't. Nag eeffort lang naman ako. Because you know what i wanna prove to you right?" Sabi ni Wendy saka tumingin kay joy with her warmest smile habang isineserve ang pagkain ni Joy. 

 

    Ngumiti lang din si Joy at tumango. She likes the old wendy, but she's starting to like this wendy 2.0 more. 

 

     "Here's your order miss ma'am. One hotsilog.." Wendy said as she place the plate on the table.  "and one wendy 2.0"  and placed a kiss Joy's forehead. 

 

    "Hayop ka talaga. Kapag ako iniwan mo pa ulit ipapamurder na talaga kita." Pabirong sabi ni Joy saka nagsimulang kumain.

 

     

 

....................................

 

 

     "Yeri, sasama ka ba? im gonna buy something sa convenience store lang." 

 

     "Di na! Tumatae pa ako, nilason mo ata ako sa luto mo!" 

 

     "Sino ba may sabing kumain ka ng luto ko! Bye! Alis nako! babalik ako agad." Paalam ni Irene saka lumabas ng bahay at naglakad papunta sa convenience store sa labas ng subdivision nila.

 

     She's been okay these past few days. She still sees her mom sometimes sa bahay nila because her mom needs to settle something with her dad. Well that's what her dad said to her tho, and wala naman syang issue don.

 

     Is she avoiding her mom? yes ofcourse. Pero sooner or later naman alam nyang kakailanganin na nya din itong kausapin to settle their feelings towards each other. 

 

      And maybe.. maybe it will help her din to finally understand how she feels about seulgi. 

 

      And speaking of seulgi.. she's been trying to contact the girl pero seulgi barely replies to her for now. And of course she completely understand naman. 

 

     "Ma'am may smaller bill po ba kayo?" Tanong ng nag cacashier kay Irene. 

 

      "Ah wait.." Irene checked her purse and unfortunately wala na syang makitang smaller bill. "Ah sorry, wala na eh."

 

      "Kahit po 500 ma'am? Wala pa po kasi kaming barya eh" 

 

      'Ang kulit naman ni koya sabing wala nga pinilit pa' Irene stated in her mind. 

 

     "Sorry pero wala talaga eh." 

 

     "Sige ma'am, pasensya na din. Hanap lang po ako ah wait." Sabi naman ni kuya saka umalis sa counter.

 

      Habang nag aantay si Irene may pumila sa likod nya. "Hi, wala bang nag babantay?" Tanong nito.

 

      Irene faced the woman who asked. And to her surprise its the woman that she saw sa labas ng bahay nila noong kakauwi lang nila galing batangas. 

 

     The woman were shocked as well. But still managed to smile at Irene. 

 

     "Oh its you.. Irene right?" 

 

     Irene were uncomfortable to see her, but she still smiled at her. 

 

     "Oh hello po. Katrabaho po kayo ni dad right? Miss sol?" Irene ask. Kunwaring hindi nya kilala ang babae. 

 

    Tumango naman si Sol. Thinking if naaalala ba sya ni Irene or not. Way from the past. 

 

     Sol awkwardly laugh, "Yeah ako nga haha." sabay hawak sa batok. "Didn't expect to see you again here. How are you?" 

 

   "Okay naman po." Irene answered shortly. Avoiding having a conversation with Sol.

 

    "Ma'am eto na po nakahanap na ako. pasensya na po sa paghihintay..." Sabi naman nung cashier na nakabalik na. After maiabot kay Irene ng sukli nito ay pinack na ni kuya boy yung mga binili ni Irene. Nasa tabi na nya ngayon si Sol para ilagay sa counter yung binili nitong banana milk. 

 

      "Nako ka, hindi mo dapat pinag hihitay yung ganyan ka gandang babae ikaw talaga." Sabi ni Sol kay kuya boy.

 

      "Oo nga ho ma'am eh. Pasensya na po ulit. Bago lang din po kasi ako dito." Sabi naman ni kuya boy saka ngumiti kay Irene. 

 

     "No worries..." Irene said as she also smiled at him. 

 

     Kinuha na ni Irene yung binili nya saka nag lakad palabas. She was really getting uncomfortable being with Sol at that convenience store. She cannot pretend anymore. Lalo na't it bring back some memories from the past. 

 

     Habang nag lalakad sya eh ramdam nya na may sumusunod sa kanyang kotse. She's getting afraid in a broad daylight for goodness sake.

 

     Binilisan nya ng konti yung paglalakad nya. "God, i should have taken my car. Kung may mangyayari mang masama sakin ngayon, Lord please tell seulgi what i really feel about-" 

 

    Beep beep!

 

   "Oh my god!" As a nerbyosang Irene. She got startled ng bumusina bigla sa kanya yung sasakyang kasunod nya kaya napatigil sya sa pag lalakad.

 

   "Irene! Sorry. Oh my.." The woman who's driving immediately said as she walked out of her car. "Are you okay?" 

 

   Pinakalma naman ni Irene ang sarili nya. "Miss sol? Why are you following me po?" She asked ng makita nya kung sino yung sumusumod sa kanya. 

 

   "Tatanungin lang sana kita if gusto mong sumabay na saakin.. I am very sorry if i scared you dear.." Sabi naman ni Sol na mukhang nag aalala din. 

 

   "Uh, its okay. i just thought ibang tao po yung sumusunod. But no worries na po, kaya ko naman po lakarin nalang." Irene said.

 

   "Oh, Ihahatid na kita.. Im going the same way rin naman. Sumabay ka na saakin." 

 

   Irene were hesitating. First of all, why is she doing this? Is she trying to get my word kasi mag hihiwalay na parents ko? 

 

  "I'll be so guilty if you don't take my offer.." Sabi ulit ni Sol. 

 

  Irene just smiled at her and she nodded finally. Inabot ni Sol ang dala ni Irene na mga binili nito and sumakay na sa sasakyan. 

 

  "Im really sorry if i scared you, Irene." Sabi ni Sol habang nag ddrive.

 

   "It's okay lang po. Actually i was a glad din naman na kayo po yun." 

 

   "I know this is weird for you." 

 

   "Uhm, yeah kind of.." Irene answered at tumahimik nalang. She wanted for this moment to end so bad. Konting liko liko nalang sa subdivision nila at malapit na rin syang bumaba.

 

   "Im actually hoping to uh... have a talk... with you.." Sol uneasily said trying to look at Irene while driving. 

 

    Tumingin naman si Irene kay Sol. "Hm? About what po?" Irene said politely. She just noticed the plushie na nakasabit sa rear mirror ng sasakyan ni Sol. It was the same plushie that Sol gave her that night. 

 

    Irene were staring at it. Until she felt the car stop. Napansin nitong nakatigil na sila sa harap ng bahay nila. 

 

    "Well uh.. Actually i am not your father's workmate I.."

 

    "I know." Irene immediately answered. 

 

    "Oh okay-" 

 

    "But you know my mother. And i remember you." 

 

    Sol just nodded at Irene. She let out a small smile. "Is it okay if we talk about what happened?" 

 

    Irene wasn't sure if she was ready. Well its been a few years since the incident happened and she's still mad deep inside of course.. but its been a week na rin naman na iniiwasan nya ang mga ganitong pangyayari.. Maybe.. Maybe she is ready. 

 

     "Its okay if you do not want to.."

 

     "No po, its okay with me.. I already knew naman po na this time will come and i guess this is it??" She let out a small chuckle.       

 

     "So uh, can i take you sa park? I think medyo hindi kasi proper kung dito lang tayo sa kotse mag uusap." 

 

     "Sure po.." Irene answered and Sol started to drive again papunta sa playground park ng subdivision nila Irene. 

 

     Irene were actually kind of surprised kasi familiar na rin kay Sol ang subdivision nila. Though tatlong beses palang naman nyang nakikita ang babae dito. 

 

     "So, uh.." Irene cleared .. "how did you and her met?" 

 

     Napatingin naman si Sol kay Irene but nag focus rin ulit sa pag dadrive. 

 

      "Hm? ah we were friends back in highschool... Best friends rather.." 

 

     Seulgi immediately pop out of Irene's mind.. Well she's still listening naman kay Sol.

 

    "Then we met again sa work nya back then.. I was assigned to bring something to their company.."

 

    Irene's mom wasn't like her dad. Her mom works in some small financing company na hinahandle ng grandpa nya. 

 

    "So that's how it started? Were you the one who made her fall for you?" 

 

    Sol were kind of taken a back by Irene's question. 

 

   "Sorry po." Irene said again because napansin nya na parang na tense rin si Sol.

 

    "Its okay.. Well uh to answer your question.. Yeah that's kind of what happened. But that happened in highschool... way before your dad came." Sol answered. Tumigil na sila sa tapat ng park and both of them just looked at each other. 

 

    Irene remembered that her parents met at college kasi yun ang laging kuwento sa kanya ng mga ito nung bata pa sya. She remembers it so well because its sweet, its romantic and she wanted to experience it as well. 

 

    But this is the one thing that her mother left out. So she became curious.

 

     They went out of the car then humanap ng bench na mauupuan. 

     Hapon na rin naman kaya konti nalang yung mga batang naglalaro dito. 

 

     As they sit down, Sol continued. "So uh, As i said we met in high school, became bestfriends, until one of us fell in love.... which is me by the way.." Sol slightly chuckled as she reminisce their highschool moments. 

 

      "Your mother, didn't acknowledged my feelings at first.. Pero nung time na umamin ako sa kanya i already knew that the feeling is mutual. Its just that it wasn't the right time for her?? i guess.." Sol sighed. 

 

     Irene who's still listening again wandered ther thoughts to her best friend. She doesn't know why pero the story seems familiar somewhat. And it drives her crazy to be honest. Because she's just missing seulgi more. 

 

     "Her side isn't my story to be told so.. i won't tell you that part right now... Sooner or later i know she'll be having the courage to talk to you again." Sabi ni sol at tumingin kay Irene. 

 

     "You said she didn't acknowledged your feelings at first? so at somepoint po ba nagbago yun?" 

 

      "Yes.. after we graduated." 

 

      "and you had a relationship after?" 

 

      "For some time we did. But she move out of province because her dad, your grandpa gave her a condition. Alam mo naman yung mga panahon dati.. Things are always rough for us."

 

       "I said to her na hindi naman namin kailangan mag hiwalay.. but i guess i just dont understand her back then kasi sobrang nangingibabaw yung pagmamahal ko para sa kanya. And its definitely okay for me to have an long distance relationship with her because i always thought that if we really love each other things like that wont matter." 

 

      "She still broke up with me anyway.. And after noon she never even had a chance to say goodbye to me and never contacted me again." 

 

     Natawa ng konti si irene. "Wait, a condition? like what? ipapapatay ka ba ng lolo ko dati?"

 

    "Huh? No. jusko sana nga hindi ganoon." Natawa naman si Sol ng konti. "Actually, hindi ko talaga alam kung ano ba yun. As i said it's your mom's responsibility na to tell." 

 

    Tumango nalang si Irene. "So.. you guys met again and nalaman mong may family na sya.." 

 

    "Yep.. I know.. and i am very sorry about that. Your mother knew the consequences.."

 

     "And yet she still chose you." Irene said seriously. 

 

     "Irene... i.." Sol were hesitating if sasabihin nya ba kay irene ang mga dapat nyang sabihin.. because at the same time she's afraid to hurt the girl again. 

 

      Bumuntong hininga si Sol.. "I was sick that time.." 

 

     "But we were just kids. her kids." Irene stated sounding a little harsh.

 

      Eto yung iniiwasan ni Sol sa totoo lang. She doesn't want this to happen. 

 

      "I know.. And if you're angry right now please be angry. Punch me slap me.. kahit anong gusto mong gawin." 

 

     A tear escaped Irene's eyes. She's mad. One thing she knew is all the feelings that the little girl felt towards Sol back then came rushing towards her again. 

 

     But then she's not a little girl anymore. So pinunasan nya ang pisngi nya. 

 

     "I knew that you are a good person.. Since that day.. Its just that ang unfair lang para saakin ng mga nangyari lalo na't bata pa ako nung nangyari yun. i didn't understand what's really happening." Irene said saka naglabas ng malalim na pag buntong hininga. 

 

      "She picked you because she truly loves you. Not just because you're sick. Kasi if she just picked you out of pitty, then she would come back to us now that you're healed. But she chooses to stay with you." Irene stated calmly. She looked at Sol and smiled. But still there's a hint of sadness in her eyes.  

 

     "And maybe.. maybe because my mother just doesn't want to waste another chance to be with the one who she truly love." She said looking directly at Sol.

 

     Irene's mind went wandering about her situation with seulgi. What if? what if the same thing will happen to the both of them if she chooses to let seulgi stay with the wrong person?

 

     What if she chooses to stay with seulgi? 

 

     "Thankyou, Irene. And i am still so sorry for what i've caused." 

 

     "I understand po.. I may not forget what happened but i am still willing to forgive. All i need to do is talk to my mother i guess.. Maybe it will help me answer some questions.."

 

     "I know.. And irene, i just want to say that you've grown into a wonderful woman.. and your sister too. You guys didn't deserve what happened when you were just kids."

 

     Ngumiti naman si Irene kay Sol.

 

     "Oh uhm, can i ask you something po? about how you felt when my mother left you before.." Irene asked.

 

     "Oh.. well uh.. it was.. hard.. Especially when i knew that she was getting married.. It was so hard to forget her because we were best friends.. Nung una i hoped na sana kahit yung friendship nalang namin yung ma save but that didn't happen. And that's what hurts the most. It felt like we never been friends at the first place because i wasn't even invited to attend her wedding day but the memories we made and shared together when we were best friends were still there. It never faded. Yun yung mas masakit sa totoo lang. Sooo its hard.. Super. Like everyday mawawalan ka ng gana sa mundo. I know its too dramatic pero wala eh.." Kwento ni Sol.

 

    Napatango naman si Irene.. 

 

    "Pwede nyo po ba ikwento saakin yung mga memories nyo ni Mama?" she asked. 

 

    "You called her mama.." Sol said.

 

    "Oh.." Nabigla nalang rin si Irene.

 

    "Sorry, i was just surprised kasi you never called her like that kapag minemention mo sya.." Sol let out a small chuckle. "Yeah sure i'll tell you some.."

 

    Irene were just nodding listening to Sol.. She wanted to know how they became bestfriends and every thing to be honest. Because it reminds her of a certain person.

 

    "You remind me of someone i knew po.." Irene said when Sol mentioned something from her story that's quite similar to what have seulgi done to Irene. Well di lang naman yun, may iba parin syang napansin pero dinisregard nya nalang syempre. 

 

    "Really? Who?"

 

    "Just.. my bestfriend po.."

 

    "Ohhh.. okay.." Sabi ni sol.. She just disregarded what irene have shared kasi parang hindi naman ito gustong banggitin ni Irene. So she just smiled at the her.

 

   Tinuloy lang ni Sol ang pag kukwento nya.. Si irene naman sige lang din sa pakikinig at minsan ay sinasabayan narin nya si sol sa pag tawa sa ka kornihan nila noon..

   It is fun.. Irene's enjoying it. She realized to herself na mas nakakagaan sa pakiramdam not to hold grudges to someone. It made her feel like the problem that she's burden with was being lifted one by one.

   And she just know that sooner or later things will get better again.