Wheein

Never Letting Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Solar had never felt so physically exhausted from performing before. She was at the second club of the night, finally done her performance. She had performed 3 songs and left the stage as soon as the next performer, the famous Hwasa, beckoned to Solar that she could take over now. When Solar left the echoing screams of the clubbers, Hwasa handed her a towel to wipe her sweat.

“Thanks, Hwasa,” Solar said gratefully, dabbing her face lightly to not ruin her makeup. 

“Unnie, are you getting enough sleep?” Hwasa asked. 

“Are you saying that I look horrible right now?” Solar jokingly replied. “I’m fine, just a bit tired. I should probably go now. Good luck on your performance, Hwasa!” They waved goodbye and Solar went to the changing room to get ready to switch herself back to Kim Yongsun. She put on a mask and black cap on, making sure that none of her pink hair was sticking out. Then she pulled a hoodie on and kept the hood up to block any possible view of her hair. She also put sunglasses on despite it being 3 am with no hints of sunlight. Most would say it was unnecessary, but Solar was not willing to risk either of her identities being revealed. She packed her performance clothes and shoes into her backpack, double checked her belongings, and left through the back door. After working, Solar would always walk along the Han River and apply her brown wig and removed her make up in a public bathroom. Then she would eat at a convenience store before catching a taxi back to her apartment.

She took the familiar route to the bathroom, singing quietly. This was her favourite part of the day, walking along the river, feeling the chilly breeze, enjoying the night view of Seoul. She reached a small public bathroom and slipped inside. Pulling the familiar wig out of her backpack, she put it on quickly and efficiently, her hands adjusting and setting it like professionals. In less than 10 minutes, Solar was back to being Yongsun. Right when she finished zipping up her bag, a voice echoed quietly through the bathroom.

“Kim Yongsun?” Yongsun whipped around, eyes wide opened in shock. Her eyes landed on a blonde girl standing at the entrance.

“Moon Byulyi-ssi.” Yongsun tried to hide the panic in her eyes as she wondered if Byulyi had seen her before she cleaned up her appearance. She tried to look for any signs that Byulyi had witnessed anything “out of the ordinary” and her heart dropped when Byul stepped closer while eyeing the black backpack Yongsun was gripping. To Yongsun’s relief, Byul removed her gaze from the backpack and looked at Yongsun.

“Yongsun-ssi, what are you doing here at 3:30 am?” Byulyi smiled. 

“I was just-,” Yongsun paused, not knowing what to say. “Taking a walk?” she squeaked out. Byulyi nodded slowly before chuckling.

“Me too. You couldn’t fall asleep right? Aigoo, you do too much studying. Are you hungry? Let’s go eat together. Late night snacks are the best.”

“I don’t, uh, okay sure,” Yongsun sighed. Without a choice, she followed Byulyi out onto the pedestrian walkway and they walked side by side towards the convenience store. Yongsun kept her head down, avoiding any of the glances that Byulyi constantly threw her. Yongsun silently prayed that she wouldn’t ask questions or start a conversation.

“So Yongsun-ssi,” Byulyi started. “Do you usually come out at this time?” 

“Sometimes.”

“Really? Maybe next time we can meet up or something? Late night snack buddies?” Byul laughed cheerfully.

“Uh…”

“Or not then.” Byulyi rub the back of her neck awkwardly, her smile faltering before coming back. “Do you live around here?” 

“I… no. Hannam.” Byulyi whistled.

“Damn girl. That area is so expensive. Must be nice living there?” Byulyi asked. When Yongsun didn’t answer, she changed the topic.

“So how’s your life like after class? I don’t see you around after class ends.” Yongsun sighed. She really didn’t want to answer any of these questions, but the girl kept on pressing her. 

“Nothing.”

“Any hobbies?”

“No.”

“Pets?”

“No.”

“Any interests?”

“No.”

“Oh.” Yongsun didn’t miss the look of hurt wash over Byulyi’s face. Yongsun sighed, feeling a little guilty.

“We’re here. I’ll treat you to food.” Without waiting for a response, Yongsun walked up the stairs to the convenience store. When she entered, she greeted the part time worker stationed at the cashier with a small smile. 

“Hi, Wheein-ah.”

“Yongsun unnie.” Wheein returned the smile. She gestured towards the back. “The ice cream is buy 2 get 1 free today.” 

“Ice cream? Awesome!” Byulyi suddenly cheered, making both Wheein and Yongsun jump. The blonde made her way to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter