Yonghee and Friends

Never Letting Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ew. Old. Dumb.

Three words and their synonyms ran through Yongsun’s mind as she passed by the fountains, statues, marble tables and expensive chairs. They trudged through the great hall. Bland. The guest living room. Ancient. The ballroom. Stupid. 

As the got closer to the back of the mansion, memories started to flood towards Yongsun. And none of them were pleasant. Well, maybe a couple of good memories made it to her. Like the couch that Yonghee crawled under whenever she needed to hide the money that she had managed to steal from their father’s wallet. And the two columns that her and Yonghee would have races to see who could climb up them faster.

Despite the certain warm memories that she thought of, she shivered. Everything seemed foreign yet familiar. This had been her home for years, but she barely felt any attachment to it. Although the heater was , Yongsun felt cold. Her only source of warmth was from Yonghee next to her as they trudged closely together.

Finally, they stopped in front of a set of oversized marble doors with oversized gold handles. Mr. Park turned and bowed slightly. 

“I’ll let them know you’ve arrived.” The two sisters nodded. Mr. Park entered the family living room quietly and after, he came back out. “Ma’am and Sir are ready for you. Please enter.” Yonghee sighed and entered first. Yongsun looked at Mr. Park, who had a sympathetic gaze plastered around his face, and followed her sister.

Wow. Nothing had changed. It was the very same room that appeared in her dream a few weeks ago. Her mother and father were sitting together at the couch directly facing them. Her mother, dressed in a fully black business suit, was watching her two daughters carefully as the entered. Her father sat lazily, leaning back on the couch.

“Mother, Father.” The sisters bowed from the other end of the room. A deafening silence followed as they remained bowing at 90 degrees. From the corner of her eye, she could see Yonghee’s jaw clench. Hopefully, Yonghee can keep her temper under control.

“You’re back,” their father said dryly. The two straightened their backs and Yongsun replied as soon as she saw Yonghee opening .

“Yes, father. We’ve been gone for long. I’m sorry that we haven’t visited,” Yongsun bowed again respectfully. Her father hummed apathetically in response and took interested in his tea. 

“Yonghee, Yongsun, I called you both here because there a some… things to discuss,” Yongsun’s mother said. Yonghee rolled her eyes.

“You mean tell us because it’s already been dealt with?”

“Mmhm, well, first one is about you. And yes, it has already been dealt with.”

“Obviously.”

“You’re not going back to London.” Yongsun froze. Yonghee froze. Yongsun knew how much Yonghee loved London. Yonghee would, without hesitation, choose London over any other place in the world any day.

“No,” Yonghee said. “I still have school left. You can’t just keep me from going to school.”

“Actually, we can,” Yongsun’s mother replied. “You’ve been withdrawn from your university. Starting in January, you’ll be attending the same university as Yongsun. Majoring in Business.”

“What the ?” Yonghee exploded. “I left for London for a reason. Hell, I changed my majors for a reason. I hate business. When I was living in this house, all you two old cows talked about was how I was a disappointment for not being a boy. But I worked hard. And all you talked about after was how we two,” she roughly gestured towards Yongsun and herself, “would need to ‘unfortunately take over the company’. Did you ever think about how we felt about it? I hate business. That’s why I changed my major. I worked hard in university. I had a whole life there. And you’re just stripping all of that away from me?”

“Mmhm,” their father picked up a newspaper and started flipping through it.

“Yonghee, calm down. It’s not that big of a deal. You’re just coming home and taking a course that you should have already completed three years ago. You just decided to go off track and study some flower course.”

“It what I love!” Yonghee shouts.

“It doesn’t help with life! What can you even do with that silly degree? Nothing! It’s useless, Kim Yonghee.”

“Mom, you don’t even care about what you do. I’ve been suspended from university for a month and you don’t even know-”

“In fact, I did know. I just-”

“-Didn’t care. My point exactly,” Yonghee glared at her mother. “So why do I need to come here now? You literally don’t care about what I do!” Their father slammed his newspaper down on the coffee table.

“Don’t speak to your mother like that!” he roared.

“I’m talking to you, too!” countered Yonghee. They glared at each other,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter