they're not you

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[Exodus base]

“You have to choose!” Ahjumma told me, her eyes b with tears when I saw a Grim Reaper nearby. He was muttering to himself, his eyes running over the dead people that were on the ground. He was crossing out names that were already taken and with everyone screaming at me, I stepped towards him—stumbling until I reached him.

I grabbed his hand and he looked at me by surprise, his eyes turning to stare at me while I couldn’t stop sobbing. I had to ask. My hands shaking, I opened my mouth to ask him the question.

“Is it his time?” I asked, pointing to Seungwoo who was violently shaking. I heard Ahjumma yell out my name and the Grim Reaper opened the parchment; turning to me and replying to my question with another question.

“Name,” he muttered, his voice void of emotion and it must have been the amount of deaths he has seen.

“Seungwoo. Ong Seungwoo. Wooseung.” I paused, trying to remember Wooseung’s real name before spitting it out. “Kang Daniel.”

“Mhm,” he mumbled, turning the page and scanning through the lists. “Nope. Not on the list. Not his time yet.”

Holding back a squeal, I raced back to Seungwoo; my hands going over his body to remove Wooseung’s soul. I focused on the energy and right then, I saw both Seungwoo’s and Wooseung’s soul bundled in one. Moving my hand away, I could tell which one was Wooseung’s because it was black.

His soul was black, moving in strings while both my brother’s souls trembled at the energy binding both of them together.

Moving my fingers carefully, I slowly tore his soul out with my breath held. I was scared I would drop it. I was scared that it would dissipate into nothing when Ahjumma let out a sigh beside me. Her eyes glazed with tears and she whispered a soft thank you in the air when Seungwoo’s body stopped moving. His body lay peacefully there while I held Wooseung’s soul in my hands.

“We need to save him,” I told Ahjumma, tears rolling down my cheeks. “Do what you did before. Bind his soul to a body!”

“Harin…” she said softly, her voice cracking. “We need a fresh body. Most of these people have been dead for a while. We need a body that is in a brink of death.”

“Then find one!” I told her when I heard a grunt from behind all of us. Turning around, I saw a peacemaker stumble in—the cuts on his body enough to let him bleed. Then to my surprise, I saw a soul exit his body and I recognized it as Yuta. He rushed to us, telling us that the peacemaker was found and he had to bring the body back to base.

And as if my prayers were answered, the Grim Reaper had swooped over him; raising up a hand to call the time of death. Ahjumma turned to me, her eyes shining and before we knew it—we had raced to the body, Ahjumma muttering prayers into the air as Wooseung’s soul settled down in a new body.

The body glowed for a while, the black soul seeping into his chest. Ahjumma gripped his hand, Lay coming to work his magic silently on my brothers new body while I sobbed.

I promised to pray every day if it worked.

I promised to waste all my wishes on Wooseung just to not lose him.

And while I was praying, I felt his fingers move against mine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Seer lands]

In the Seer lands, the three sisters huddled over the crystal ball. The whispers of the souls around them were louder this time; Harin’s tear streaked face a clear image in the ball. They giggled, their cackling echoing throughout the caves as one of them turned; her dress swishing around behind her.

“Exodus is coming to a revolution, my sisters,” One said softly, her hands feeling the cold air. “His soul is now in a new vessel. The Dark one’s prophecy has begun. Because the war is over, this strikes as the beginning of change.”

Two giggled, her eyes turning away from the crystal ball. “The unity with the worlds will be bringing up prophecies that we have been reading for a very long time. We have been waiting for this, sisters. Three—sing the young boy’s prophecy. Let us hear it again.”

Three, the youngest of them all piped up; her merry demeanor different from her sisters. One was serious, Two was flirty and Three—Three was playful. She had lived her seer life enjoying the music that left her lips as she would recite prophecy. In the end, seers never do get any entertainment. She nodded, singing Wooseung’s prophecy that has just started with his soul in a new body.

“A consequence of war, fire and cries.

Prophecy after prophecy will begin to rise.

When the soul of the boy has nowhere to settle.

With the savior’s prayers, they will find a vessel.”

“They already did, didn’t they?” Two drawled, sitting down on her throne. “They already put his soul into a body?”

“Yes, Two. Now let your sister finish reciting the prophecy. You know I don’t like you interrupting,” One scolded, her hands going to motion to Three who had paused with her sister’s words. “Go on, Three.”

“Once by his hand, a life taken.

With a splash of blood, his powers will reawaken.

He, himself, will return the savior’s favor.

For he will be the one who will save her from grave danger.

The boy will be the only one of his kind.

As a Dark One, for the rest of his lifetime.”

“How exciting!” Two purred. “Exodus with their very own Dark One, with his own legacy. How he was blessed such a title from the deities is a wonder.”

“It’s both a blessing and a curse, Two. To have your soul undergo dark magic and still be able to live in a body can change you. There is a reason why the deities have chosen his soul from the lost souls,” One brooded, her hands wringing. “If Ong Harin is the savior. Kang Daniel is the savior’s savior.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Infirmary; SM]

It was after war and I remember every thing with a blur. People crying, people cheering; the victory against Euren was bitter sweet and I found myself closing my eyes with fatigue. But I didn’t want to sleep until Suho told me to and I was then ushered into a pouch; Haechan putting everyone in so we all could go back to SM. I don’t remember much, falling asleep with the rumbling of the outside world with the rest of the people beside me.

By the time I woke up, I was already in the infirmary and I could hear the bustling of people walking back and forth. Squinting under the light of the sun that was shining down onto me, I could hear a familiar voice calling out the name of a friend and I stretched; sitting up.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun’s cheerful voice immediately brightened the room and I saw the male running over to Chanyeol who still looked exhausted. “Guess what I brought?”

“What?” Chanyeol asked, struggling to get up. His face was bruised, but they were healing very well with potions. I saw Lay running back and forth from bed to bed and I saw that he wasn’t using his powers. He must be reserving them, I thought. I saw Chanyeol look down on Baekhyun, a small smile on his face.

“Me!” Baekhyun piped up, turning around and even I couldn’t help but chuckle under my breath. Baekhyun was cute and everyone knew that. “Also, I brought you your favorite book.”

I dragged my attention away from him, realization settling in before I blinked. War was over. It was over and… Seungwoo! Wooseung! I gasped, turning to jump out of bed. They had added room in the infirmary and I saw additional beds. Scanning the row, I saw Ahjumma and other Sotes around. Walking down to see Ahjumma, I passed Jaehyun with an old lady which I concluded as his Sote and Johnny beside him.

“Harin!” Ahjumma exclaimed, smiling at me. I peeked behind her and I saw that she was taking care of Seungwoo, my brother still fast asleep. My eyes widened and I was about to ask her where Wooseung was when she beat me to it, and pointed. His bed was opposite of Seungwoo and the guy wore a checkered pajama.

He slept peacefully and I wasn’t used of how he looked but I knew he was Wooseung just the same. I was about to go to him when Seungwoo stirred; his eyes blinking softly. I moved closer to him, smiling when I saw him open his eyes. He was still in a daze and Ahjumma fussed over the lack of water for my brother to drink when Seungwoo jolted up and felt his body.

“Harin!” he gasped, reaching out to grip my hand so tightly I knew it would bruise. “W-What—”

“What? What?” I asked, worried. Was he hurt? What was happening. “What’s wrong?”

“I can’t hear Wooseung in my head!” Seungwoo yelled out, both hands going to grip his head. “He’s gone—”

“Seungwoo… He’s not.” I managed to say but Seungwoo was freaking out. He didn’t know that Wooseung’s soul was put into another body and a part of me couldn’t wait for him to find out. He kept fidgeting and I saw his eyes tear up at the fact that he couldn’t hear Wooseung anymore and I had to keep in a chuckle.

And to think he has always hated Wooseung growing up.

I was about to say something when I caught movement at my peripheral vision and I saw Wooseung move, his hands going above his head as he stretched. Seungwoo was still crying, while I patted his back when I saw Wooseung look towards me and Seungwoo; his eyes widening.

Gasping, he touched his face to see if he was real, dropping his hands to look at his fingers when—

Slap!

He slapped himself across the face and I opened my mouth to stop him when Seungwoo made a face.

“There’s a crazy guy in front of us, staring at us and slapping himself,” Seungwoo whispered to me, bringing me closer. “Don’t look at him. He probably has PTSD from the war.”

“Seungwoo…” My voice trailed and I decided to tell him who it was. “Seungwoo, that’s Wooseung.”

My words must have hit him with impact because Seungwoo whipped his head around to look at me, his pupils shaking when he looked back at Wooseung who was still staring at us with his eyes wide open when Wooseung sang almost dumbly.

“Hello… It’s me...” he mumbled. “I’ve been wondering if after all these years you’d like to meet…”

I burst out laughing at Wooseung’s choice of song, singing out “Adele’s- Hello’ and I could feel Seungwoo shift beside me. Before I knew it, Seungwoo had jumped out of the bed and ran over to Wooseung, climbing onto his bed and engulfing him into a hug. I watched, following Seungwoo and standing by Wooseung’s bed.

“Ouch! Seungwoo!” Wooseung yelped, Seungwoo wrapping his arms around Wooseung and cuddling against his chest. “Boy, and you wanted to get rid of me when we were younger!”

“You’re real!” Seungwoo’s voice broke and I sighed, realizing how sad it is to grow up and have everyone tell you that you’re crazy but now to have the voice in your head physically in front of you. “You’re actually real!”

“Whose body is this?” Wooseung asked and I explained to both of them what happened but left out that his soul was black, Wooseung listening intently before his face fell. “Does that mean I don’t have my powers anymore?”

“I’m afraid not, Wooseung,” Ahjumma said sadly, appearing behind me with a tray of water. Wooseung’s face fell for a split second. “The body you are inhabiting isn’t a mage…”

“On the bright side, I can color my hair now!” Wooseung said suddenly, and I nodded. His hair was jet black and I remembered how many times Wooseung would want to color his hair but he couldn’t because he knew Seungwoo wouldn’t let him. “Ouch, Seungwoo… Let go of me!”

“No,” Seungwoo said stubbornly and I laughed, watching my brothers hug on the same bed. “I’m older than you.”

“No, you’re not!”

“Ong Wooseung, do not disobey your Hyung!”

“I want to go back to my own body!” Wooseung wailed and I glanced at Ahjumma, both of us snickering at how they were bickering.

“This is my body, not yours!”

“Because of me, your body is not a anymore!” Wooseung fired back and I saw Seungwoo turn bright red, wrestling Wooseung onto the ground while we watched.

[Ong Seungwoo, Ong Wooseung/Kang Daniel]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[SM ballroom]

Days passed and we were told that we were going to have a graduation ceremony. All of EXO were graduating and some of NCT. Everyone was happy and chattering and I walked around the room with Bubbles. She had a smile on her face and she honked, me squealing beside her in response to her happiness when her big lips turned up into a smile. She had missed me a lot and the last days of being in SM, I was cooped up in the room with her because she didn’t want me to leave. When Mr. Bobbit first came and dropped her off, I was certain he wiped a tear and I knew that he was attached to Bubbles as much as she was attached to me.

“That’s a good girl!” I cooed, turning and grabbing the dress that was given to me by Suho. It was knee length with long sleeves and a belt. It was gray in color, but the skirt had triangles of interval black. I put it on after the shower and went out of the room, Bubbles bouncing up after me. “Come, come.”

[Ong Harin's dress]

We passed the boys rooms and I saw that everyone was dressed up in tuxedos. I heard my name being called by two people and I turned to see Seungwoo and Wooseung walk up to me. They were both wearing suits and I smiled when I saw that they could finally wear different clothes. Wooseung was wearing a simple tuxedo, black over white. Seungwoo was wearing all white. Both had bow ties and looked absolutely handsome.

“Look at you!” Wooseung said, hugging me and turning me around; Seungwoo chuckling and reaching up to pat my head. “Beautiful! And look at me! I dyed my hair!”

Wooseung had dyed his hair a goldish color and I thanked and complimented him, earning a smug smile. We headed to the award ceremony that was in the SM ball room. I never knew SM had a ball room, but then again, I never explored it that well. Stepping into the ballroom, I saw camera’s flashing and my eyes widened at the flashes. Sometimes I forgot that cameras existed in Exodus and that pictures move. Then again, the cameras were probably charmed by Oh Shun.

“Wannaone! Harin!” We all turned to EXO who were already sitting in the front row. I know that they have went and visited Wooseung in the infirmary so they already know how he looked like. I saw that the row was almost filled and I told them that it was okay and I’d sit on the row behind them, seating myself beside Jaehyun and Johnny who were also dressed up.

“Hi, Senior,” Jaehyun greeted me and I smiled to him. “How’ve you been?”

“Alright, Jaehyun. Very well. Did I tell you how cool you were when you came flying with the water dragons?” I asked and Jaehyun turned a slight shade of pink, Johnny turning to listen to us talk.

“Thank you, Senior. I was scared I wouldn’t be able to come in time,” he admitted. “And if it wasn’t for Senior Tao, we wouldn’t have been able to make it.”

I paused, remembering that Jaehyun and Mark came first. I wondered where Tao was at that time, turning to Jaehyun to ask him. The male replied, shrugging.

“I tried to talk to the mother dragon but she didn’t listen to me. Somehow she listened to Senior Tao more,” he answered and I nodded. “Animals are unpredictable sometimes.”

“I see…” My voice trailed. “As long as you guys are here now.”

“Yeah. And Senior Tao knew the place pretty well too so it didn’t take us long to reach the Pearl Caves. Mark kept forgetting how to read the compass. I’m glad we brought Senior Tao,” Jaehyun told me and I nodded. Everything worked out well in the end.

Suddenly everyone stood up and when I lifted my head, I saw that Oh Shin had arrived with Oh Shun. Advisor Leetuek, the murderer trailed behind with Advisor Siwon who was also in a tuxedo. He walked up to the podium, his eyes flashing as he stood before us before speaking into an echowomp that was on the podium.

“Ladies and gentlemen.” He paused, Oh Shin’s gaze going down and I’m pretty sure it was to feign sadness. “Please. A moment of silence for the deceased. Strong souls who have sacrificed their life for Exodus.”

you, I thought. My eyes burned with hate and I saw him look towards me while I stared Oh Shin down. The room was silent as people payed respects to those who died and after a few minutes, Oh Shin cleared his throat.

“For current news, I would like to inform you that The League of Euren are now captured and our army are holding them prisoners of war. I am now trying to settle things peacefully.”

Claps erupted throughout the ballroom and I felt my stomach turn at the façade Oh Shin was putting up.

“I would also like to first congratulate the class of EXO for graduating,” he began and I saw EXO clapping. “As well as Wannaone.” He said, motioning to Seungwoo and Wooseung who sat in front of him. “All of you have been very brave I want to commend everyone who fought in the war for their hard work.”

He smiled, a woman going up to him and giving him pieces of papers to what seemed like our awards. “Also, after very close discussion… We have also decided that those who played a big part in retrieving The Staff of Moses, or those who had exquisite performance as well as those who have went for the dragons should also graduate despite not being in EXO. So, I would like to congratulate Jung Jaehyun, Johnny Suh and Lee Taeyong for making it to the graduating list.”

My eyes widened and I looked at Jaehyun who was smiling, Johnny wooping up as he ed his fist in the air. I saw Taeyong in another row, standing up and bowing.  I felt happy for them. In the end, they worked hard and deserved to graduate. Oh Shin then began to call each of us out to accept our graduation scrolls. When it came to my turn, he gripped my hand roughly a smile painted on his face while I turned and painfully smiled to the camera that snapped a picture. I realized that Sehun and Kyungsoo weren’t around and when their names were called, Oh Shin spoke into the echowomps.

“My son, Oh Sehun and his keeper; Do Kyungsoo will be coming shortly so there is no need to panic, everyone.”

Once we all got our scrolls, Oh Shin then began to call out titles for those who helped in war.

“Haechan Lee!” Oh Shin thundered almost enthusiastically. “The pocket mage!”

“Mark Lee, the boy who screams!”

“Aw, man. I wanted something cooler,” Mark complained, standing up to get his award. The award ceremony continued for what seemed like another half an hour when Oh Shin cleared his throat; his eyes shining.

“And lastly, I would like to make a few small announcements,” he said, his eyes settling into the crowd. “First, since the death of our recent headmaster has occurred… I have decided to appoint Advisor Leeteuk as the Headmaster of SM; School of mages.”

What? He was appointing Leeteuk, murderer of Donghae as the headmaster of SM? I blinked, my hands going into small fists while everyone clapped. They all seemed happy and Leeteuk bowed to everyone, raising a hand to the air.

“Second,” Oh Shin began. “I would like to appoint Park Chanyeol, Whisperer of the Dragons as my right hand.”

Gasps filled the room and I saw Chanyeol gulp, Baekhyun smacking Chanyeol’s back violently with excitement. I saw Chanyeol look shocked at the sudden title given to him by Oh Shin.

“I believe as we are now also handling Eurenic people, Young master Chanyeol will be able to serve as a bridge between Exodes and the Eurenic,” He said, and EXO cheered, pounding him on the back. “Come up onto the stage, please.”

Chanyeol stood up, his knees shaking. His lanky legs brought him up and I watched Oh Shin shake his hand. Chanyeol was chewing on his bottom lip, standing on the right side of Oh Shin. Oh Shin wasn’t done yet, continuing to talk.

“I would also like to appoint Lee Taeyong, as my left hand.” He smiled and I looked back to see Taeyong stand up, his face stricken. “As someone who has the ability to harness pure energy, I hope he will be able to serve The Order with his powers.”

What is he doing? Is he going to recruit people for his right and left feet too? I grumbled and I watched Taeyong go onto the stage. I knew nothing of the guy, only that he once bullied my brother but he seemed nice when my brother talked about him. I watched as Chanyeol shook Taeyong’s hand and they stood by Oh Shin, proudly.

Oh, if only they knew.

I bet Oh Shin had a plan and now that he had Chanyeol and Taeyong by his side, he was thinking of doing s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter