the force of choice

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Oh Shin]

 

“Come here!” Sehun yelled at me, grabbing my trembling hand as he dragged me towards the base. I was still stricken by Donghae’s death and my eyes were tearing up. I pushed him away, my emotions filled with frustration as I whirled to let him go of my hand.

“Let go of me!” I said and Sehun looked at me, taken aback by my sudden ferocity. “Your father… started this war, Oh Sehun. So, don’t you come to me and bark orders as if you own me when it is your father who is making people die!”

Did Donghae tell me to lay low? I scoffed at the thought of how blind Sehun was. The size of his brain! I trembled with fury. Kyungsoo was hurt. Johnny got burned. We were having giants tanking for us.

“What are you talking about?” Sehun sighed exasperated, a hand gripping his sword. “I know you’re shocked by Senior Donghae’s death but that does not mean you can pick a fight—”

“Pick a fight? The war is—”

“If this war was started by my father, he wouldn’t want me to be fighting in it!” Sehun bellowed at me, his eyes flashing gray. “And yet here I am, seeing people getting killed from left to right! Do not insult the leadership of my father when I am here sacrificing myself for this war!”

I paused, the sudden thought sinking in. Sehun was kind of right. If Oh Shin started the war between Euren and Exodus, he wouldn’t let Sehun fight. It was too much of a risk to take. I couldn’t connect the dots together, not yet. There was too much to think of. Another crash sounded and I looked up to see the giants roaring as they slowly defended the people below them when I heard a voice.

“Sehun.” The voice was smooth and when I looked towards the sound, I saw Oh Shin standing there, his eyes reflecting the bright red light. His clothes were dusty and he didn’t look as royal as he usually was.

“Father… What are you doing here?” Sehun asked, limping up to his father. “You cannot be here!”

Oh Shin’s eyes did not leave the dragons for awhile until he dragged his gaze towards his son. He looked down on Sehun’s bleeding leg and his eye brows furrowed, grabbing Sehun’s shoulders.

“What’s wrong with your leg?” Oh Shin asked, searching for more bruises and cuts to see if his only son was hurt. “Why are you hurt? Didn’t I tell you to wear your Royal Pin?”

Sehun looked confused, a hand going up to where the pin was supposed to be before he shook his head at his father. “I was fighting… I—Why would I wear my Royal Pin?”

“If you did, no one would have hurt you!” Oh Shin thundered and Sehun gaped at his father. Even I was confused by his logic. Why was wearing a Royal Pin so important? What did he mean when he said that if Sehun wore it, no one would have touched him?

Oh Shin told Sehun that he was not to fight anymore because the dragons were here; Sehun shaking his head violently at his father’s order.

“This is war! They would hurt me regardless of whether I’m wearing the Royal Pin or not!” Sehun answered back, shaking his head when Oh Shin began to try to take Sehun away. “Our people are dying, Father! I have to stand by them to fight!”

“You will do no such thing!” Oh Shin growled at Sehun who immediately stared on the ground. “I need you by my side when we win this war.”

“What makes you think that we’re going to win this war?” Sehun asked back, Oh Shin grabbing Sehun by the back of his neck and bringing his face closer. “Father—”

“Go back to your tent. Tend to the hurt and prepare yourself for the end of the war. Go, now,” Oh Shin told his son, Sehun turning robotically to leave. I stood there, Oh Shin looking at me before a smirk formed on his lips.

“Young Mistress Harin.” His tone was mocking and I gave him a bow when I heard him say. “I hope you don’t ever try to cross the line with my son ever again.”

I looked up at him and he was looking straight at me but all I felt was disgust. He was a horrible man, his morals broken by the greed of power and he knew that I knew. He must have heard me tell Sehun that I think that he started the war. I didn’t pull away from his gaze and his voice dropped.

“Or I will have what happened to your friend to happen to you.” He paused, before turning to walk away. “This is not a warning. This is a promise.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Giants slammed against the dragons, their fists trying to grab the fiery fire as they fought against the creatures. The giants were big, but they were slow and they were no match for the dragons. Johnny was teleported back, his skin severely burned and there weren’t enough people on the battlefield. Kris rode the centaurs, his sword in the air, slashing it against all the red he could see when he saw G-Dragon ride a manticore towards him.

G-Dragon was not part of the initial fight, but both sides were tapering and there were more deaths than survivors. Both Euren and Exodus were slowly thinning out in manpower and it was a close call of who would win and who would lose. Euren were already using their dragons and even those who weren’t supposed to fight, were now on the battlefield. Kris stared at G-Dragon who managed to kill two peacemakers who were targeting him.

They were going to fight until every one was dead.

“BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN!” one of the giants yelled, a hand going to punch the dragon slowly as all the other giants wrestled them to the ground. Fire spread everywhere once again, and peacemakers turned to run away from the flames that were the ground.

The giants groaned in pain and before they knew it, the dragons had blasted out the fire everywhere, the giants as they stepped backwards. The one named Uncle Bean, who was the biggest fell backward; his back hitting the desert ground as the ground rumbled violently at his fall.

“GIANTS! RETREAT!” People heard as Johnny stood by the base, screaming out to the giants. They were no match for the dragons. If they kept fighting, they would die and Johnny wasn’t not going to let that happen. The giants groaned, the ground shaking as they stood up with difficulty.

Slowly each and every one of the giants retreated, their skin burned from the dragon’s fire.

Kris kept on fighting, Suho beside him with spits of water splashing out of his fingers. Suho groaned when he saw Seungwoo absorb another blast of fire, the young male clutching his heart. It must be painful, accepting that much energy and rebounding it over and over again.

“Seungwoo! Get away from there!” Suho yelled to Seungwoo who shook his head. Seungwoo was going to fight because it was his motherland—and as much as Suho respected the younger male for his tenacity, Seungwoo was going to get hurt. “Seungwoo!”

Seungwoo was pushed backward and he changed to Wooseung, the goggles that was on his face moved to the top of his head. Wooseung divided himself, his clones trying to distract the dragons when Suho saw a white bird fly up to the sky.

Amidst the red and yellow of the burning flames that caused sparks in the sky, the bird flew around the four dragon’s the dragons seeing it with their big eyes. Kris who was looking at the bird, wondering what it was doing—turning to Suho to ask if Jaehyun was back.

“Not yet!” Suho yelled before his eyes went to the egrate that was flying zigzag in the sky. Suho felt his heart drop to his stomach, recognizing the bird. “Ms. Tiffany! She’s trying to distract them!”

Kris felt perspiration slide down his neck, the dragons turning and seemingly following Ms. Tiffany. She was putting her life on the line, for the mages and for Exodus. Her white wings glowed in the sky and Suho saw as G-Dragon raised a hand at his dragons to execute an order.

“NO!” Suho yelled out, Kris yelling out words that he, himself could not make out when the dragon blew out flames from its mouth; the fire surrounding the white bird. “MS. TIFFANY!”

It was the last straw for him, Suho with no staff to use and the absence of Jaehyun, Tao and Mark. He gasped, turning to Kris as his friend watched the bird’s body turn into a person, the familiar white dress of Ms.Tiffanys’ now burned.

Ms.Tiffany was dead.

Her body fell slowly from the air, almost gracefully landing on the sand with a thud. Suho shook his head, they had to give up—

“Kris—We can’t. We have to yield—”

“We are not yielding!” Kris fired back, shaking his head. Yielding would mean everything was for nothing. Yielding would mean they weren’t going to fight for their world.

“YIELD!” He heard G-dragon yelling to them, the man grabbing onto the dragon and climbing up onto the dragon’s back. He looked tiny on the huge creature’s back, the dragons roaring out as the flames blazed out in the sky. G-dragon looked victorious already, the smirk on his face smug. “YIELD OR YOUR PEOPLE WILL DIE!”

“We have to yield!” Suho said frantically, seeing everyone around him struggle for their life. Baekhyun was on the ground, Chen now fighting with a sword instead of his powers because of how exhausted he was. “Kris—”

“If we yield—” Kris yelled back, the dragons suddenly going on rampage.

“YIELD, ADVISORS!” G-dragon roared, raising a hand to the dragons as they puffed out sparks of smoke when Suho heard a sound from the sky. It was loud, clear, and it rang all throughout the dessert—making everyone clutch their ears. The dragons moaned, their wings flapping at the sudden sound.

Wings could be heard from the sky, and Kris turned to see a flock of water dragons in the air, Jaehyun and Mark on the dragons. They sped forward, Jaehyun yelling out clearly to G-Dragon.

“WE ARE NOT YIELDING!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The dragons were here! I looked up to see Jaehyun and Mark on the dragons. They weren’t as big as the fire dragons but there were many of them. They looked like a bunch of maddlekabobs, but so much bigger than her. I watched as Jaehyun yelled out that he wasn’t going to yield when Jimin called me over, wanting me to help with bandaging the people.

I turned away, running to help Alchemist Jimin, the potions shaking in my hand as I applied them to the burns on the peacemakers in front of me. I heard a sob and when I looked up, I saw Chanyeol by a body and my heart sank. A part of me didn’t want to see him, a part of me scared that it was one of EXO. Standing and going over to Chanyeol, I saw that he was crying over both our respected Senior.

“Senior Donghae….” They didn’t leave his body there, and his face was lost of color. I watched as Chanyeol held Donghae’s hand, tears sliding down his cheeks. “Chanyeol….”

Chanyeol wiped away his tears, soot leaving a dark line on his skin when I leaned down to hug him, his shoulders shaking as he cried.

“He was the only one who trained me with my powers when I first got to SM,” Chanyeol whispered. “He made sure to always make sure I never hated myself for being able to create fire.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter