Ch 30

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It: Uni

When Hyejin awoke the next day, all she felt was soreness. Everything was starting to hit her, literally and figuratively. She didn’t realise how much she overly exerted herself when she tried to move Ms.Manju out of the way. Speaking of...

“I swear, how the hell ya ain’t dead yet is beyond me,” Ms. Manju simply stated as she peeled a mandarin.

“What’s that supposed to mean? I should be saying that to you!” Hyejin playfully said as she patiently waited for the mandarins.

“Oh please, I’ve been through hell and back. Nothing could kill me until I’m satisfied,” Ms. Manju said with a huff as she placed a mandarin in front of Hyejin and started to peel another one.

“Satisfied? Satisfied with what?” Hyejin popped the mandarin in and waited for the other one.

“Let’s just say, I won’t rest till I’m certain of something,” Ms. Manju said cryptically.

Hyejin raised a brow but didn’t press the matter further. She has since learned to never question Ms. Manju. Ever since she met the old woman when she was a child, Ms. Manju has always been an enigma. Sometimes she seems like she’s as youthful and energetic as a 20 year old. Then the next minute she would be old and wise. It was fascinating and scary.

Hyejin opened to ask Ms. Manju about the sticks but she was interrupted by someone else who entered. 

“Min-ah!” Hyejin beamed at the sight of her old friend.

He flashed a big smile towards Hyejin. Despite the celebratory smile, it never reached his eyes. 

“How’s it goin’, Hyejin?” Min-ah said as he pulled up a chair on the other side of Hyejin. He nodded his greeting towards Ms. Manju.

“I’ve been better,” Hyejin chuckled, “I don’t think I can ever complain about being sore ever again. I think this takes the cake.”

“I imagine so! It was a miracle that you remained relatively unscathed,” Min-ah nodded as he gestured towards her limbs.

“Relatively unscathed??” Hyejin raised her brow and felt the one covered by the bandage on her left side struggle. With an internal sigh, she dreaded the lack of depth perception she’s going to have for who knows how long.

Min-ah opened his mouth to explain but they heard a nurse calling for Ms. Manju.

“I swear, if they don’t discharge me soon then I’m gonna do somethin’ mighty fierce,” Ms. Manju grumbled as she placed two freshly peeled mandarins in front of Hyejin before getting up.

“Are ya gonna whack em with a big, squeaky hammer?” Hyejin asked with humour laced in her voice. 

“I have my cane sword,” Ms. Manju responded as she started to shuffle her way out.

“Ms. Manju??” Min-ah worriedly looked at her as his voice went up an octave in fear.

“Can I get ya cane sword when you pass?” Hyejin asked as her eye sparkled with possibility.

“Hah! You can get my cane sword only on one condition.”

Min-ah and Hyejin waited for the condition but none ever came. Ms. Manju shuffled out of the room before either could stop her.

“Wow, I hope I’m like her when I get older,” Hyejin whispered to herself.

“Ya gonna be a menace for the rest of your life?” Min-ah asked with a smile on his face.

“Someone has to take that mantle and might as well be me,” Hyejin huffed.

After a moment of shared laughter, they both fell into a silence. But, it wasn’t uncomfortable. Sure, they may not have been in constant contact but that didn’t matter. They were the kind of friends where they could go months without talking to each other and then act as if they only saw each other yesterday. No amount of time could erase their friendship. 

“So, what did you mean relatively?” Hyejin pressed again. There was something in his tone earlier that spoke of an unwilling acceptance. 

With a sigh, Min-ah looked at Hyejin with an unreadable expression. 

“I was one of the first officers on the scene, Hyejin….”

Min-ah’s voice faded and Hyejin couldn’t help but grimace. It’s one thing to be reunited in a hospital but to be reunited after witnessing the aftermath of an accident? Well, that’s scary enough.

Hyejin eyed Min-ah and saw how haunted he looked. How small he was as he recalled the memory. There were only a few times where Min-ah looked so small and scared and that was back when he was significantly younger. But now? It’s like seeing something that shouldn’t exist.

“Hyejin…….There was a metal rod that was an inch away from impaling you….” Min-ah muttered the words so softly it was as if he was trying to hide what he was saying while also trying to admit it to himself. As if he was coming to terms with the reality of the situation, “It would’ve impaled your lung…..any more then it would’ve impaled your heart….”

Hyejin could only stare. 

She couldn’t believe it but at the same time she could. It was the limbo state of where her soul had accepted reality but her mind couldn’t. She knew at one point death would come for her, like for all living beings. She knew that, and accepted it. But she couldn’t accept that death would come for her so soon. She was barely in her 20s and she had so much that she wanted to do and accomplish. How could she die now? 

“Wow…..that would be one hell of a way to go,” Hyejin finally said with a shrug. Even just lifting her shoulders felt like she was lifting elephants. She hid how much of her core was shaken. So close to death. So close to never seeing her loved ones ever again. So close to never seeing Wheein.

“Hyejin!” Min-ah exclaimed in disbelief. 

“What? What can I do to being told ‘Oh hey, you could’ve died’?” Hyejin asked, “I could’ve died yesterday, so what? I didn’t and that’s all that matters in the end.”

Hyejin ended her sentence by popping a mandarin in and chewed as Min-ah gathered himself.

“You don’t feel, I dunno, weird about it?” Min-ah whispered as he heard people passing by the room. Unsure if any unnecessary ears are hearing their conversation.

“If anything it strengthens my resolve,” Hyejin nodded more to herself than Min-ah, “One minute I could be flying high and the next I could come crashing down. The only thing I can do now is live life to the fullest while I still can.”

Min-ah stared a bit before sighing in resignation.

“Why tell me, Min-ah?” Hyejin asked as she studied him. The bags under his eyes were apparent and he kept looking at her like she could vanish at any second.

“How could I keep that knowledge to myself? How could I look you in the eye, knowing that you came close to death, and carry on?” Min-ah honestly answered.

Hyejin pondered for a moment. What would have happened if Min-ah didn’t tell her? What if she had never known she was so close to death? She was honest when she said that her resolve hardened but that was only after she came to know how close death was to her. Would her resolve be as strong if she hadn’t known? Is it good to even know?

Before Hyejin could even answer, Wheein entered with a fruit basket in her arms.

“Wheein!” Min-ah exclaimed as he immediately got up to help her.

“Morning, Wheein-ah,” Hyejin lazily waved.

Wheein nodded her thanks towards Min-ah before giving her attention to Hyejin.

“Morning. How are you?” Wheein asked as she took the seat Ms. Manju once occupied. She had to stop herself from immediately grabbing Hyejin’s hand. Every bone and cell of her body screamed for Hyejin’s touch. Anything to affirm that she’s alright.

“I’ve been better. I can never complain about soreness ever again though,” Hyejin grinned. Seeing Wheein again made her heart flutter as she felt herself brighten. 

“Ah, I’m sure my mom will hold you to it,” Wheein grinned back. As much as she wanted to treat Hyejin normally, she couldn’t. Seeing her in this condition brought agony to her heart.  

Hyejin scrunched up her face in despair. Or, as much of her face as possible. 

“Ugh, I can only imagine how long it would take me to get me back into fighting shape.”

“Are you seriously thinking about going back into the ring?” Min-ah piped in. 

Both young girls forgot he was there.

“What else am I supposed to do as a hobby? Stare at drying paint?” 

“I meant--” Min-ah began.

“How ‘bout woodworking? You’ve always been handy,” Wheein suggested.

“Ok, but splinters though,” Hyejin countered.

“Leatherwork?” Came Wheein’s immediate retort.

“What can I do with that?”

“Well…”

“Ok, counterpoint to everything you're about to suggest,” Hyejin cleared dramatically, “Depth perception.”

“That never stopped you before.”

“Wha-- What is that supposed to mean, Wheein-ah?!” Hyejin whined.

And so on and so forth. Wheein and Hyejin freely flowed from bouncing ideas off of each other and all Min-ah could do was look between who was talking. He didn’t mind being ignored. It was cute watching them interact with each other again. The way they flowed from idea to idea to possible scenarios of what those ideas could lead to was fascinating to witness. Of course, he noticed how their hands were drawn to each other and how their fingers gladly intertwined. He had to fight back a chuckle as he realised that neither noticed their hands doing such an action. Honestly, he could watch them forever, it was free entertainment. Well, until the basket started to become a bit too heavy.

“Uh, where do I put this?” Min-ah finally interrupted them. 

Both of them paused and looked at him as they blinked. Finally remembering that he was there. Finally noticing that they were holding hands. 

But, neither retracted their hands. They knew that it would cause them both pain. Besides, there was nothing behind the touch either. No burning desire nor demand. Just the need for a reassuring touch. 

“Oh, you can put it on the table there,” Hyejin pointed her chin towards the discarded table off to the side. 

“Once my grandma heard what happened, she immediately went into a gift basket making frenzy,” Wheein explained, “I don’t know how, but this appeared on our doorstep.”

Hyejin hummed.

“She made a gift basket and somehow got it to your house overnight?” Min-ah asked after securing the gift basket in place.

“Yea,” Wheein looked to the side in thought, “And she’s pretty far away too. She’s not one to drive that far for something that small…”

“I tell you, she’s an ex-agent!”

“Wh-what the ?”

“You’re never letting that theory go, are you?” Wheein sighed as she looked at Hyejin, “Besides, how is getting a gift basket here overnight indicative of being an ex-agent?”

“I’ll tell you,” Hyejin shifted up on the bed so she could sit up, “She has connections and--”

“Excuse me, I just need to check up on things,” The nurse nervously announced herself.

Min-ah took this opportunity to excuse himself while Wheein quietly stood off to the side as the nurse did her job. And as she stood quietly by herself, she calmed her beating heart.

She heard everything Min-ah said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lying in bed later that night, Wheein stared up at the ceiling. As much as her body begged her to sleep for the new day tomorrow, her mind was on overdrive. She kept repeating what Min-ah said over and over.

“....metal rod that was an inch away from impaling you….”

Her heart squeezed. She could only gasp.

“.....would’ve impaled your lung…..”

She clutched a hand over her heart. It was screaming in agony.

“......anymore then it would’ve impaled your heart…….”

It felt like her own heart was being ripped apart. 

“.............knowing that you came close to death……….”

A soft cry escaped her lips as she turned over and curled in on herself.

Her hand clawed at her heart over and over again. A searing pain coursed through her body as she clenched her eyes closed. All she wanted was the reassuring embrace from Hyejin’s arms. She wanted Hyejin’s touch. She needed Hyejin’s touch.

Her mind was racing, but only with one thought. There was a probability, a high probability, that Hyejin could’ve died yesterday.

Hyejin could’ve died.

Another sob escaped her lips. 

As much as being apart pained her, that was nothing compared to what she felt now. Just having the knowledge that Hyejin was close to death caused her heart to roar in anguish. She would rather have Hyejin alive, even if that meant that they’ll never be together. She can’t even fathom Hyejin being dead. Hyejin is so full of life and love that it’s impossible to think that she could die so young. 

Another wave of pain coursed through her body.

What would she have done if Hyejin did die? Could she handle it? No, of course not. If just thinking about it now caused her this much pain then it becoming reality would be significantly worse. 

She tossed and turned in bed as her mind raced with thoughts of Hyejin being dead. Her cries were quiet as she clutched onto Mr. Lion. The only relief she felt was the reassuring scent that emanated from Mr. Lion and his soft fur that grazed her skin. Even Ggomo laid next to her and let his purrs offer her comfort.

The next couple of hours were the longest of her life. Her mind looped over and over with the possibility that Hyejin could’ve died and what she would do if that happened. Every loop broke her heart little by little.

“................ I didn’t and that’s all that matters…………..”

Wheein felt her heartbeat steady itself. Hyejin’s voice found its way out of the fury that was Wheein’s thoughts. And with Hyejin’s voice, came the wave of relief. 

She can contemplate Hyejin’s possible death all she wants, but why? Nothing would ever come of thinking such thoughts over and over again. In the end, Hyejin is still alive and recovering and that’s all that matters. 

Hyejin is alive now, and Wheein will do everything she can to savour every single moment, no matter where it leads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The final fall semester finally started, and despite the first week being the easiest week of all, Wheein felt anxious the entire time. All week, she prepared the apartment over and over again. Changing and rearranging everything so Hyejin could move around easier.

It took her months to clean the apartment after Hyejin left. And when she did finally get around to cleaning, she felt empty the entire time. A majority of the clean up had to do with removing the trash, but it was only afterwards did she realise how much of an influence Hyejin had in the apartment. The decor was Hyejin. The colour selection was Hyejin. The placement of furniture was Hyejin. Everything was Hyejin. 

So, Wheein did an overhaul before summer break.

She had So-Yoon help her, but once So-Yoon suggested she just throw everything out, Wheein elected to not heed her advice. So-Yoon wanted to throw away the plants, ditch the furniture on the curb, and practically burn anything that Hyejin touched. So-Yoon’s method was more wasteful than anything. So-Yoon claimed that it was to help Wheein get over Hyejin by getting rid of any reminders. But that would’ve been a moot point. She could get rid of anything that Hyejin touched but how is that healing? Sure, some people can heal by the sudden jolt of ripping everything away and have things heal like a scab, but she knows herself well enough that that isn’t an option. She needs time to digest and analyse and think things through. Besides, none had any bad memories attached to them. Everything held a memory that Wheein will always cherish. As much as So-Yoon assumed everything was painful, that was far from the truth. So-Yoon mistakenly assumed that it was the material objects that were continuing her grief, but that’s not it. It was Wheein’s own mind that was making her stay in the loop of despair. Although, the only good thing So-Yoon did was jolt Wheein just enough to realise something.  Hyejin was everywhere, but that’s not going to stop her from living. Hence the overhaul.

Or, as much as she could. She didn’t want to spend more money when she had perfectly good furniture already. All she did was move things around a bit. For the office, she moved the desk to the wall and used the extra space as her own mini studio. There wasn’t much else she could do for the kitchen or dining room since the flow in those rooms were already ideal. If anything, she added her own decor in them. Random knick knacks she picked up along the way. For the living room, instead of everything facing the windows that showed the town’s skyline, she turned everything towards the wall to the left. She moved the plants to the window space and made it look more scenic, like the plants were the frame and the skyline was the picture. For the master bedroom, all she did was move the bed next to the farthest wall. And that was it. 

So, all Wheein had to worry about was how to make the apartment more accessible for Hyejin. Also, in the back of her mind, the added secret desire to impress Hyejin on how well she has been taking care of the plants.

When Friday finally arrived, Wheein could only pace. She had no Friday classes so she took this as a chance to go over everything again. She walked around the apartment as if she was the injured one in order to ensure that there would be nothing to obscure Hyejin’s path. She went through the fridge and pantry over and over again to make sure that there were plenty of options for Hyejin to eat. She knows Hyejin’s taste can vary depending on her mood. 

After what felt like an eternity, she finally got a message from Ji Yeon that they were on their way. 

Wheein quickly replied back and went over the schedule one last time. 

On Friday evenings Ji Yeon would drop Hyejin off before she heads in for her shift. All day Saturday and for a majority part of Sunday, Hyejin would be under her care. Sujeong would then pick Hyejin up after her shift ends Sunday night. Then it repeats.

Waiting a couple of minutes more, Wheein finally made her way down to the front of the apartment complex. Sitting on the bench, she kicked her legs back and forth. Her feet could barely touch the ground.

As much as her mind wanted to overthink, she stopped herself. It was now or never. She’ll do her best to take care of Hyejin while she recovers. And she’ll do her best to keep her own emotions and feelings in check.

Wheein sighed as she looked around, searching to see if she could see Ji Yeon’s car in the distance. She knows she’ll only ever love Hyejin but she needs Hyejin to prove herself again. That doubt will always be in the back of her mind. In fact, she doesn’t even know if it will ever go away. Afterall, there is always the chance that Hyejin will leave her again, albeit unwillingly. Death will come calling again one day for Hyejin.

The sound of a quick car honk brought her out of her stupor and she jerked around to see Ji Yeon taking a parallel parking spot. Taking a deep breath, Wheein got up and scampered over to them. Standing on the sidewalk, she peered into the car and saw a pouty Hyejin.

She could barely think about what could make Hyejin so pouty before Ji Yeon hopped out of the car and beckoned Wheein closer.

“So, here’s the bag of all the things she needs,” Ji Yeon heaved a bag out of the trunk and handed it to her, “Which is basically just clothes and medication. She has her backpack on her.”

Wheein could only nod before Ji Yeon pushed her towards Hyejin’s car door. A door that was open with a Hyejin patiently waiting for them. Wheein saw Hyejin’s desire to get up herself, but the curb isn’t friendly to anyone, especially to someone in her predicament. Ji Yeon helped Hyejin out and got her standing on the sidewalk before handing her the crutch. 

“Alright, need help getting up there?” Ji Yeon asked the both of them.

“For the last time, I’m just on the crutch! I’m not fully immobile,” Hyejin huffed, “Besides, it’s not that far to the elevators.”

“Hm. What say you, Wheein?” Ji Yeon directed her question whilst ignoring a pouty Hyejin.

“Hyejin’s right. It’s not that far from the elevators from here and we can survive a small walk to the apartment,” Wheein nodded her assurance to the nervous Ji Yeon.

“Alright, if she becomes too much then let us know and we’ll come fetch her,” Ji Yeon said as she headed back to the car.

“Why does everyone say that? Am I really that much of a menace?” Hyejin looked at Wheein with big lion cub eyes. The perfect picture of innocence.

“It depends,” Wheein shrugged as she went to go hold the door open for Hyejin.

“What?! Define depend!” Hyejin exclaimed as she entered the building and waited for Wheein next to the elevator. 

Wheein took in the scene before her. Hyejin was a stark contrast to the environment around her. The lobby was clean and sterile, blindly so, and Hyejin was raw and rustic. Rustic in the sense that Hyejin’s attire looked more for a lazy day in a cabin. Raw in the sense that her injuries stood out as she leaned against the crutch. The cast on her right leg and left arm and bandage over a good portion of the left side of her face made Wheein’s heart squeeze. All she wanted to do was take Hyejin’s burdens away.

“Well, for one, your mood,” Wheein answered as she pressed the elevator button, “Two, your will. Three, your headstrong nature. Four, your--”

“Why does it sound like you were prepared for this?” Hyejin said as she stared at Wheein. She had to fight the urge to seek a kiss. Old habits die hard.

“You’re living with Ji Yeon, I can only imagine how chaotic that can be and the reasons why,” Wheein said as the elevator doors pinged and opened. 

“It’s not that chaotic!” Hyejin exclaimed before she thought about it some more, “Well…….maybe a little.”

“Thus my point stands,” Wheein hummed in victory, “So, is that why you are pouty today?”

Hyejin sighed and leaned against the elevator wall to take a break from the crutch.

“No, we’re still getting use to livin’ together with me like,” Hyejin gestured to herself, “Well, this. It’s gonna take a while but I’m pouty cuz the school isn’t really built for those that have mobile disabilities.”

Wheein opened to express her disbelief, but upon reflection she found Hyejin’s statement to be true. Every ramp and other ease of access type things were tedious and lengthy. Especially when you have students that use said ramps so they can avoid stairs and thus take up much needed space.

“You’ve never noticed till now, huh?” Hyejin saw Wheein’s expression and knew what it meant.

The elevator pinged again and they finally got out and made their way to the apartment.

“I….Yea,” Wheein muttered as if she was ashamed. 

“Ya never noticed something till it’s pointed out, right?” Hyejin asked the air around them, “I thought maneuvering around campus would be easy, especially for that throwaway class, but nooooo.”

Hyejin let out an annoyed huff and Wheein couldn’t help but giggle at the noise. 

“I have to leave class early in order to get to my next class on time. Not only that, but I also need help!” Hyejin grumbled and glared in front of them. The soft clink of her crutch echoed throughout the hallway.

“It’s not a bad thing getting help, Hyejin-ah,” Wheein said as they finally made it in front of the apartment door. Pausing for just a moment to pull out the keys and unlocking it.

“I--I know….”Hyejin muttered as she looked down at the floor, “It’s just…..I don’t want to be a burden but it’s gonna take months to heal….”

“You’re not a burden, Hyejin-ah,” Wheein’s tone turned strict and Hyejin could only look at her.

Hyejin opened but stopped short as Wheein opened the door. It feels like forever since she has last been here. And it still feels like home.

As they went into the apartment, neither said a word. Both aware how new this is for them. Both aware how they just want to give in and return to how things were. Both denying themselves of such.

“Whoa, you kept the plants?” The first words out of Hyejin’s mouth as she saw how the plants and flowers were neatly gathered around the windows. She slowly made her way towards them with ease. Noting how different and familiar the apartment felt and looked. Barely noticing a familiar egg shape object in the kitchen.

“Of course I did,” Wheein answered as she placed the bag on the dining room table for now, “So-Yoon wanted me to get rid of them but I couldn’t. You and Ms. Manju taught me to appreciate them so how could I get rid of them? They’re alive too.”

Hyejin hummed as she began her inspection. Her attention was so focused that she didn’t notice Wheein nervously shuffling off to the side. Each time she touched a leaf, each time she peered into the soil, each time she sniffed them, each time she squinted her eye, was a jolt sent through Wheein’s entire body. Ever nervous under Hyejin’s scrutiny, ever questioning what she’s done. Did she give them enough water? Did she give them enough care and love? Did she sing to them enough?

“I’m impressed, Wheein-ah,” Hyejin hobbled around to look at Wheein and gave her a proud grin, “They’re still alive!”

“Oh thank--Wait, just alive??” Wheein almost gave into the flood of relief before she noticed Hyejin’s choice of words. 

“Well, yea,” Hyejin hobbled over to the couch and placed her backpack down, “Neither good or bad. Just is.”

Wheein understood Hyejin enough to decipher her meaning. She quickly made her way over to the plants to inspect them herself. 

“What do you mean just alive?” Wheein asked for more clarification. To her the plants looked great.

“They just….I don’t know…..” Hyejin looked around as if the answer was hidden within the environment around her, “They aren’t dying but they ain’t too happy either.”

Wheein lifted a leaf and peered into the pot like it would tell her something. But all she saw was the soil. With a questioning hum, she turned to face Hyejin with an expectant look.

“What else can I tell you? You’ve been watering them and taking care of ‘em just fine,” Hyejin shrugged, “Just…..They’re kinda sad.”

“How??” Wheein asked as she looked at another plant. Squinting to see how these plants are sad.

Hyejin puffed up as she was about to say she didn’t know but Ms. Manju’s voice popped into her head. And with it, the memory of something that Ms. Manju said years ago. Back when Hyejin was still a kid.

“Oh…..They reflect the environment around them,” Hyejin muttered as she looked at all the plants again from afar. 

“Reflect huh?” Wheein whispered to herself as she looked at the plant in front of her. It makes sense. Well, sort of.

Hyejin shook her head before asking the nagging question in the back of her mind. A question that rooted itself in her head as soon as she saw its familiar shape.

“Anyway, is that an airfryer I saw or just a weird egg shape thing?” Hyejin pointed behind her, towards the kitchen.

Wheein blinked a couple of times before letting out a relieved sigh. Thankful that Hyejin didn’t press further as to what could make the plants sad. Afterall, it should be obvious.

“Yea, it’s an airfryer,” Wheein answered.

“Is it actually good? My sister has one but she claims it’s hard to use.”

“Hmmm. It’s not hard, you just have to be patient with it,” Wheein answered again. She was going to leave it at that but she saw the curiosity in Hyejin’s eye. No use hiding it.

“So-Yoon gave it to me as a gift. She said something about me needing to eat healthy in order to keep my weight in check,” Wheein shrugged as she went towards the dining room to fetch Hyejin’s bag, “Anyway, I only kept it because it’s actually useful.”

Hyejin fought back a growl. Making a mental note to give So-Yoon a piece of her mind the next time she sees her. Maybe throw in a punch, who knows.

“Before you burn a hole through the floor with that glare of yours,” Wheein stood by the bedroom door with the bag in hand, “Let me just inform you that you are sleeping on the bed while you’re here.”

Hyejin blinked and felt her anger subside.

“Wha--”

“You’re not fighting me on this, Hyejin-ah,” Wheein simply stated as she went inside the bedroom to place the bag on the bed, “Where else would you sleep?”

“But what about you?” Hyejin wanted to follow Wheein but she didn’t have the energy for it. She only had enough energy to keep talking.

“I can sleep on the couch. It’s only for two nights, it won’t be the end of me,” Wheein calmly said, “Anyway, what do you want for dinner?”

Hyejin pondered for a moment before a Cheshire grin made its way onto her face. A look that Wheein could easily read. 

“Ah, want to make something in the airfryer and rub it in the face of your sister in how amazing it is?”

“You know it!”

Wheein barked out a laugh as she made her way to the kitchen and beckoned Hyejin to follow.

“I have plenty of stuff to make so it’s a matter of deciding what to make.”

Hyejin followed as quickly as she could. By the time she made it to the kitchen, Wheein already opened the pantry and fridge so Hyejin could look through them with ease. 

“Holy , you stocked up,” Hyejin made her way to the fridge first.

“Of course!,” Wheein beamed, “I’ve stepped up my cooking skills, you know.”

“Did you now? Well, I need to judge for myself then,” Hyejin gave Wheein another proud look before moving to the pantry. 

“Well, if you want,” Wheein felt butterflies again. It’s been forever since she felt this nervous over a simple question, “I can make you a different meal on Saturdays?”

Hyejin paused as she considered Wheein’s question. Her own heart fluttered the moment she heard the nervous fluctuation in Wheein’s voice. The answer was obvious.

“Yea, I would love that,” Hyejin shot Wheein a smile before going back to the fridge.

Wheein could only smile back before she asked Hyejin what she selected for dinner.

“Steak! My sis was heartbroken when the steak turned out awful so time to rub salt on the wound,” Hyejin’s mischievous grin was contagious.

“Ah, did you know you can make a pie too? Want to make a dessert?”

“ yea! We be having ourselves a goddamn feast! An airfryer feast!” 

Hyejin moved over to the side so Wheein could take out the ingredients and prep. And as she stood, she couldn’t help but wiggle in place in glee. She couldn’t wait to send the pictures in the family group chat and brag how easy it was to use an airfryer. 

It was natural to fall into a rhythm. Hyejin couldn’t be as helpful as she wanted but that didn't matter. She asked Wheein if she needed to step out of the kitchen but Wheein declined. Wheein simply stated that Hyejin could help her keep track of things in order to ensure that everything will come out great and make gloating that much easier. 

And as they moved in harmony, a smile never left their faces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They both collapsed on the couch after they were done cleaning up. Their bellies full and their facial muscles sore, they basked in the silence. Their meal consisted of steak, salad, baked potato, grilled vegetables, rice, and an apple pie for desert. Once everything was cooked, Hyejin asked Wheein to take as many flattering shots of the food as she could in order to send them in the group chat. Of course, Hyejin only bragged about the meal once everything was consumed by them both.

The two young girls patiently waited for one minute before Hyejin’s sister began to yell in the group chat. Asking multiple questions on how and why on the airfryer. Asking for the specific type of airfryer. Asking for anything really.

They could only laugh at Hyejin’s sister. Her questions started off normally before it veered off into conspiracy territory. Saying how they must’ve done this, this, and this. Of course, Hyejin didn’t deny those allegations either.

“Wow, so when are you going to actually tell your sister on how to use an airfryer?” Wheein asked as her giggles finally died down. Hyejin’s family is never boring that’s for sure.

“Hmm. How bout never?” Hyejin grinned that mischievous grin.

“You’re just gonna let her continue thinking that you paid someone to make our meal??” Wheein asked as she grinned back.

“Yup! I’ll tell her when she’s like 70 or somethin,” Hyejin chuckled as she leaned back into the couch.

Wheein hummed and silence fell onto them again. Both of them fell into a quick slumber. Only awakening at the sound of a car alarm that was blaring below. 

“Ah, guess it’s time for a bath then time for bed,” Hyejin said as she got up.

“Already?” Wheein took a glance at her phone to see the clock lazily telling her the time. It was 8:32.

“It’s been a hell of a week trying to get around and getting use to things,” Hyejin’s gaze turned distant before she snapped out of it and looked at Wheein with a fondness in her eye, “I’m tired and I want to make sure I’m full of energy for your grand meal tomorrow.”

“Speaking of,” Wheein got up to turn the bedroom light on so Hyejin won’t be floundering in the dark. A gesture that Hyejin nodded her thanks for, “What do you want tomorrow?”

Hyejin hummed a long note as she went through her bag for her clothes.

“Hmmm. Surprise me!”

Wheein thought to retort but gave up. It would be pointless to ask Hyejin to clarify. 

“Besides,” Hyejin hobbled to the bathroom and stood just outside the door to look at Wheein from the side, “I know anything ya make will be amazing like you.”

With a grin, Hyejin finally entered the bathroom to wash the day off her.

Wheein could only stand there, dumbfounded, before she stiltedly made her way back to the couch. After a few moments of staring at her own reflection off the tv screen, she broke into a smile.