Ch 8

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It: Uni

Another week passed and it was time to party. All of Hyejin’s invitations to a halloween party were to the same place and she was prepared to skip it if Wheein didn’t want to go. But, to her great surprise, Wheein was excited to go. Ecstatic even.

So, here they are. Walking towards a party, and a night, that would open both of their eyes and reevaluate their relationship.

Wheein was dressed like the true nerd she is while Hyejin threw a curve ball.

“That’s……..an interesting costume,” Wheein finally spoke about the costume as they walked along the somewhat empty sidewalk. Kids zooming past as they were excited to get their next batch of candy.

“What? Did you think I would be a y tiger or somethin’?” Hyejin smirked as she saw the slight blush that crossed Wheein’s cheeks.

“It’s what you insinuated!” Wheein tried to eliminate the thought of Hyejin in a y tiger costume from her mind but it wouldn’t go away. It was an image that would be forever burned into her mind's eye. 

“No, that’s what you assumed,” Hyejin reached over to bop Wheein on the nose, “besides, if I did dress up like the y demon I am, then I would be a health hazard.”

“Don’t you mean hazard in general?”

“Ok yea, but my point is being a health hazard!”

“Sure, sure. But it’s cold so it’s only reasonable to assume that you chose this outfit. The big puffy jacket makes you look like a marshmallow. And the little tiger bowtie and ears makes you seem like a fancy marshmallow tiger!” Wheein stated in a sing-song voice while she skipped ahead.

Looks like Wheein is in that kind of mood tonight. So, with a soft smile and chuckle, Hyejin caught up and wrapped an arm around her so Wheein wouldn’t get too far ahead. She was right, it is a cold night, and even though she has this big jacket, it doesn’t mean she’s warm. She’s only warm with Wheein around.

“First off, rude. Second off, ya not mentioning me being a health hazard to others,” Hyejin whined. She wanted to get compliments from Wheein. 

“Hm? You’re already a health hazard so why are you focused on it now?” Wheein graciously focused ahead, not giving attention to the whining Hyejin.

“Ugh, to fish for compliments, Wheein-ah!” Hyejin was getting pouty now.

“You always get those though?” Wheein raised an eyebrow.

Hyejin could only huff as they made it to their destination. Some frat house where the party was in full swing. 

“Hey, Wheein-ah?” Hyejin stopped moving and stood straight.

“Hm?”

“If you want to leave, just tell me, alright? We don’t have to stay long, you know?” Hyejin said with the utmost sincerity. She knows that being in a party with lots of strangers isn’t Wheein’s cup of tea.

“I know. But this is college. Got to go to at least one party, right? Might as well get it over with,” Wheein said with a smile. A smile that only faltered when she saw the serious look that Hyejin was giving her.

“Wheein-ah--”

“I’ll let you know if I want to leave,” Wheein placed a quick kiss on Hyejin’s cheek, “Alright?”

“Hmm, alright. But, I'mma warn you. If any bastard tries to touch you then I’mma--”

“Hyejin-ah! Don’t finish that thought! It’s incriminating,” Wheein gently patted Hyejin’s head. 

“But it’s true!”

“It is,” Wheein gave Hyejin a quick kiss on the lips, “and I know exactly what would happen. Don’t worry Hyejin-ah. It’ll be fine.”

With one last kiss, the two young girls braced themselves for their first college party.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was all going well initially. They stuck close to each other and not once got trampled over by the people that surrounded them with their superior heights. But then it happened. People recognized Hyejin and some people recognized Wheein.

That is how they got separated.
 
Wheein with the small cluster of somewhat sociable nerds and artists, and Hyejin in a crowd of people that would love to get to know her better. The perfect chance to mingle and make connections. 

As Wheein mingled and entertained, her eyes never left Hyejin. Noting how while she may be the picture of being cool, calm, and collected, she knows that later on Hyejin will complain about it. Hyejin knows the necessity of networking but she despises having to appeal to others with a fake persona. It’s why she expected so little networking to begin with. She is just herself and she knows that people won’t like that but so far it seems to only attract people. People of all types. It’s the main reason why Hyejin has been a bit more clingy lately. People vying for her attention when all she wants to do is give all her attention to Wheein.

While Wheein kept an eye on Hyejin, the vice versa also happened. Despite the ever growing crowd of people and the ever shrinking personal space, Hyejin always made sure that there was enough of a gap so she could see Wheein. Seeing how comfortable Wheein was with fellow artists always puts her heart and mind at ease. Ease with the knowledge that Wheein will always have friends that she can relate to and not be a loner for the rest of her life. Ease with seeing how she would lock eyes with her and Hyejin would win their battle for dominance. 

However, there was a problem. Hyejin knew what she was drinking, but she didn’t keep track of how much she was drinking. It was easy to lose track when all of these people keep handing you a cup over and over and refilling it over and over.  And before the worst could happen, she felt a strong and supportive arm wrap itself around her and took her out of the constricting mob of people.

The embrace is forever burned into her physical memory so she didn’t even flinch at the intrusion. Of course Sujeong would be here. Sujeong is always there whenever Hyejin needs her. Well, used to be there. 

“Sujeong….” Hyejin moved her head around slowly to try to find Wheein but she couldn’t find her anywhere. Her body felt numb and a bit tingly and everything had a slight blur effect. 

“I think it’s time for you to go home, Hyejin-ah,” Sujeong’s soft smile could melt the coldest of hearts. 

“Wheein-ah….Where??” Hyejin tried to squirm out of Sujeong’s grasp but her poor balance resulted with her doing an improvised wiggle dance in Sujeong’s embrace.

“Hey, hey, shhhh,” Sujeong petted Hyejin, something told her that would calm the youngster, “We’ll find her, ok?”

Upon feeling that comforting hand again, Hyejin calmed down. Though with her drunken stupor, her mind is clear in ways that it should not be. Her true feelings had a voice and they were loud. Especially with Sujeong around.

So, while Sujeong dragged Hyejin around to find Wheein, Hyejin contemplated and reflected on the thoughts she hid so well. The thoughts on where her heart truly lies. 

Well, not like that.

She loves Wheein. She loves Wheein with all her heart so why did she keep Sujeong a secret? That’s a question that Ji Yeon asked her and a question that she asks herself. But now, the alcohol has made things a bit more clearer. No longer was there that filter she had built. Now, the truth is out. The truth as to why she kept Sujeong a secret.

Nostalgia.

Selfishness.

Greed.

The result of having no closure.

Those feelings combined into her subconscious decision to keep Sujeong a secret. Especially since the accident resulted in Sujeong falling into a coma and waking up with no memory of her early teenage years and a good chunk of her childhood. No memory of Hyejin. In essence, it was a new start. A clear slate. But, she has Wheein, so why?

“I’m….an awful person….” Hyejin finally muttered. The beat of the music and the loud conversations blarred into her ears. Making her want to just run out and get some air. But she has a mission. 

“Yea, for underadged drinking,” Sujeong maintained her focus. She saw Hyejin come in so she finally knows what Wheein looks like in person.

“Aaaanah, I mean, I have Wheein, yet,” Hyejin stumbled over a corner of a couch, “I still want you.”

“What?” Sujeong only caught the first half and the rest was mumbled garbage.

“Or maybe, friend??” Hyejin looked up at Sujeong’s confused face with her own confused face.

“Friend??” Sujeong kept glancing around, not surprised how hard it was to find someone so short.

“I have 150 ways of personality! So yee, friend!!” Hyejin was yelling at this point, much to the agony of Sujeong’s poor ear.

“........What the does that even mean?” Sujeong was about to give up when she finally spotted Wheein. Looks like she was looking for them too. Had enough of mingling despite it being short.

But there is only so much mingling a person could take and Wheein was the first to break.

As she used the excuse to get another cup of water to escape, she looked for Hyejin. She noticed the cup in her hand earlier and she also saw the kind of drinks here. So, it was time to go. There was just one problem. Hyejin was nowhere to be found. 

She didn’t start to worry until she made a third pass through the house. 

Passing through every little space she could, there was no sign of Hyejin. And at the moment her worry peaked into anxiety, a tap on her shoulder brought her back to reality. A tap and a soft voice full of humour and comfort.

“Hey, you lost your lion.”

Wheein whipped around towards the voice and saw a young woman, who isn’t that much older than them, and a drunk Hyejin around the woman’s shoulders.

“Hyejin-ah….” Wheein immediately started to transfer Hyejin to her shoulders. Only struggling a little bit.

“Wheeiniiiiieeeeee~~ I wuve you!! And I only LOVE you, no matta what!!” Hyejin blurted the moment she sensed Wheein was around and tried to go for a kiss. But poor depth perception resulted in her just squishing her face against Wheein’s head. 

“Ok, ok, oh god,” Wheein struggled with the now squirming Hyejin. 

“Wheeinieeee, home??” Hyejin’s voice turned innocent and Wheein briefly reflected on Hyejin’s duality for a moment.

“Yea, we go home now,” Wheein matched Hyejin’s tone and manner of speech like it was second nature.

“Let me help. It’s not safe if you have to worry about keeping her steady all by yourself,” The woman offered with a helpful look.

But all she saw was Wheein’s confused head tilt. Hyejin was right, Wheein is a puppy. She opened to explain who she is and everything but a certain intoxicated lion interrupted.

“Sujeong!! Cawwie me pwease~ Can’t bwurden and bweak Wheeinie’s back!” Hyejin tried to wiggle her way to Sujeong’s and tried to clamber up her back. 

“How are you talking like that?? How are you making those sounds with your mouth?” Ji Yeon’s voice cut the air between them all. Her face with deep confusion at the scene she's witnissing. She was expecting to see Hyejin, but she wasn't expecting to see Hyejin like this.

“I’mma genoose!” Hyejin exclaimed while raising her arms in the air. Causing Sujeong to stumble slightly at the sudden motion.

“Oh my god, you’re a mess,” Ji Yeon only shook her head before speaking to Wheein, “Let me help too. I think you’re gonna need it.”

“Awwwwie, Kei gonna help!” Hyejin tried to go over to Ji Yeon, stumble really, but Sujeong and Wheein stopped her.

“Uh, yea. At least it isn’t too far,” Wheein said while trying to prevent Hyejin from escaping.

Famous last words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With their combined effort, it took them an hour to get back to the apartment. It should have just been fifteen minutes but a certain drunk lion made things difficult. At least no one ate pavement.

After getting inside and dropping Hyejin on the bed, Wheein finally breathed a sigh of relief. They’re finally home. Safe and sound.

She was about to offer Sujeong and Ji Yeon a place to stay the night but both declined. Sujeong stated that she drove with a couple of friends while Ji Yeon said the same. So, with a quick goodbye, Wheein was left alone with a still somewhat intoxicated Hyejin. An intoxicated lion who was currently rolling around on the bed searching for something.

“Hyejin?” After Sujeong and Ji Yeon left, Wheein made a quick pit stop to grab a glass of water. Lord knows Hyejin will need it. So here she was, glass of water in hand, witnessing a squirming Hyejin.

“Wheein-ah!!” Hyejin flopped up before flopping back down on the bed and wormed her way to the edge where Wheein was at. Almost falling off in the process but managed to catch herself last minute.

“If I knew you were a messy drunk then I would’ve slapped those drinks out of your hands,” Wheein stated as she sat down by Hyejin to make her drink some water.

“Awww, that would’ve been cute,” Hyejin actually took a sip of water, “Especially if you had your pouting face!”

Hyejin smiled so brightly that Wheein almost didn’t notice the sudden change in speech pattern. Almost.

“Oh? Feeling better now?” Wheein eyed Hyejin suspiciously. .

“I’ve been feeling better,” Hyejin took another sip of water that still remained in Wheein’s grasp, “Especially since we’re all alone now.”

Before Wheein could blink, Hyejin snuck in a quick kiss on the cheek.

“I love you,” Hyejin’s face turned serious as her voice turned husky.

Wheein had to blink a couple of times and shake her head at the sudden whiplash she was feeling. Hyejin was all over the place right now and she doesn’t even know where to start. Does she start where Hyejin was drinking, or does she work her way backwards starting with Hyejin suddenly becoming sober-ish? 

As Wheein opened to say something, Hyejin enveloped her in a desperate hug. Burying her face into Wheein’s chest. Seeking shelter from her own demons. 

“Hyejin-ah, are ok?” Wheein hugged the clingy lion and her hair. 

“I love you, and I’ll always love you,” Hyejin stated with such conviction that Wheein couldn’t help but blush a little.

Once again, before Wheein could return the sentiment, Hyejin spoke.

“Even if Sujeong is back, I know where my heart is,” Hyejin’s voice faded near the end. She was falling asleep. But she must say these words, she must let her true feelings be known while there are no filters in her mind.

“Sujeong???”

“She doesn’t even remember me, but I do miss her, and I still want her…” Hyejin was word vomiting at this point. Desperate to say what was burning inside her heart.

“Want?” Wheein’s voice cracked slightly. Her mind trying to wrap itself in what Hyejin was saying. But the moment she heard those four little words, her heart began to crack and strain. But she was still confused. It was only her confusion that held back her old fears from rising again.

“But, I want her as a friend….” Hyejin unlatched herself from Wheein to sit up straight and look her in the eye. Even if she was still a bit wobbly her stare froze Wheein in place.

“Hyejin-ah, who exactly is Sujeong?” Wheein was scared to ask. Deep down she knew, but she still needed that verbal confirmation. With hands gripping the glass of water tightly, Wheein braced herself for an answer she did not want to hear due to its implications.

“An ex who had an accident, fell into a coma because of it, woke up and had a good portion of her memory gone,” Hyejin answered honestly. Wheein needed to know the context at least. Yes, she should have told Wheein sooner, but she needed to know that Sujeong had truly forgotten her. Why? Because it would be easier. Easier to have closure. She needs that closure. She waited years for it. No one forgets their first love. But, ever since Wheein came into her life, she actually almost did. Emphasis on almost. Her memories with Sujeong will always be with her, and she will always treasure them, but she won’t let them stop her from growing. Stop her from loving or receiving love. 

But, what if Sujeong did somehow remember her? Well, Hyejin did prepare for that. That’s why she waited for a bit. Waited to see if maybe a memory would come back to her. But that never happened. Thankfully. As much as Hyejin cares for Sujeong, her heart belongs to Wheein. Sujeong was just a lesson while Wheein is the application. At least that's the reasoning her intoxicated mind came up with.

Wheein’s breath hitched. Uncertain in how to process this information. She caught what Hyejin was implying. That the memories that Sujeong forgot included her and the time they had together. Her emotions were conflicted. She was feeling everything at once.

“Why….why did you--” Wheein started to ask but Hyejin already knows the obvious question.

“Why did I keep it from you? Honestly, I was being selfish. I missed Sujeong as a person, as a friend, but what if she remembered me? It would be easier to nip it at the bud rather than getting others involved,” Hyejin started to sway a bit. The darkness along the edges of her vision were encroaching at an alarming rate. Her filters were coming back and her thoughts became less and less clear. 

“Hyejin….I--”

“I love you, Wheein-ah. You deserve better,” With that final declaration, sleep overtook her and she collapsed sideways on the bed.

Leaving Wheein alone and vulnerable.