Ch 18

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It: Uni

“Wait, so they were glad we fought??” Hyejin’s confusion easily matched hers through the phone.

“Yea, something bout it would be bad if we never fought yada yada. To be honest, I wasn’t listening because I was too focused on how the hell they came home without us noticing,” Wheein sighed and turned over to pet the unbothered Ggomo.

“I know right? Anyone could hear them coming from a mile away but man, who knew they were secretly ninjas,” Hyejin chuckled.

Wheein chuckled as well and opened to say more but then she received another call. It was her grandmother.

“Ah, I gotta go. My grandma is calling.”

“Oh, tell her I said hi!” 

“Hah, that’s right, you’ve never met her.” Wheein gently mused. Wondering how she was going to introduce Hyejin to her grandmother. Maybe over a nice dinner?

“Exactly! I need to have a good standing with her!” 

“I--You know what, I’m not gonna ask. Night, Hyejin-ah. Love you.”

“Love you too~”

Wheein softly giggled as she hung up the phone and finally answered her grandmother.

“Grandma?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mom, why didn’t you tell me you were coming?!” Byul whined as she carried the bags of various items that her mom bought.

“Shush you, it’s called a surprised visit,” Byul’s mom chastised. 

“Only for me! You told Wheein you were coming!” Byul continued to whine.

“It’s cuz I’m her favourite,” Wheein proudly grinned as she skipped ahead a little bit and patiently waited for them to catch up.

“Why wouldn’t I tell my granddaughter that I’m coming to visit?” Byul’s mother pretended to be hurt.

Byul could only glare at her mother and Wheein. The two were gladly linked together by the arm as they smugly watched her put up the items in the car. Truly, her worst nightmare. Conspiring against her.

“Stop with the glaring. You’re making it look like we’re plotting your demise,” Her mother said while giving a warm side hug to the grinning Wheein.

“It’s because you are! Making me drive you two everywhere--”

“Wheein doesn’t have a license.”

“Then making me carry all the bags--”

“I’m weak and Wheein has delicate arms.”

“And you keep interrupting me!” 

The way her mother whined, Wheein could only imagine how she was when she was her age. It also clicked where she got her whininess from, as Hyejin calls it. Wheein made a mental note to tone down her whininess after seeing herself being reflected off her mother. She wonders how Hyejin puts up with her sometimes. Maybe she should apologise later.

“I’m you mother, Moonbyul. If you’re not used to it by now then I don’t know what else to say to you,” Byul’s mother huffed while walking away with Wheein.

Byul opened to retort but her phone rang. Looking at the id she signaled for them to continue on without her. Mouthing that she’ll catch up with them in a  bit.

“Ah, your mother is so busy,” Wheein’s grandmother softly sighed as she let Wheein lead the way to the next store.

“Is that why you stopped by today?” She asked as she gently leaned against her grandmother. It seemed like ages since she last saw her since she lives hours away. It was refreshing seeing her again. Maybe over the summer she should spend some time over at her grandparents places and enjoy her time with them. Who knows what sort of history she may learn. 

“That and,” Wheein’s grandmother gave her a knowing smile with a twinkle in her eye, “I was hoping that maybe you could introduce me to this Hyejin of yours.”

The tone of voice, the teasing, the knowing, the slight grin, Wheein felt like she was under a microscope. And she couldn’t help but blush a little. She’s only told her grandmother about Hyejin, but they have never formally met before. She tried to keep her feelings in check, especially since she knows her grandmother will never let her hear the end of it, but it looks like she didn’t do a good job. Even while trying to keep things neutral when she told her grandmother about Hyejin, after all who knows what the next day will bring, it looks like the true depths of her affection and love for Hyejin seeped out and exposed her.

“Ah, I see,” Wheein’s grandmother wisely nodded, “You two have gone far together. Probably going at it like rabbits I assume.”

“GRANDMA!” Wheein’s face was red as it could be. 

“What? It’s only natural. You are your mother’s offspring and I remember, very clearly, how she was,” Wheein’s grandmother gently chuckled as Wheein’s face morphed from shock to horror. 

“GRA--”

Wheein’s cry to escape from this plane of existence was cut short as there was yelling from the restaurant just ahead.

“Get back here, you !!!” 

Just ahead, Wheein saw Hyejin’s sister run out of the restaurant with a smug face while cackling into the air and fled into the nearby alleyway. Trailing behind her was a raging Hyejin. 

With a chair.

“Oh my, the youth of today,” Wheein’s grandmother shook her head and tsked, “I’m glad Hyejin isn’t like that. Surely the one you love is better than that hooligan.”

The confidence and pride in her grandmother’s voice was painful to hear. She could only mentally scream as she saw Hyejin run past again, chasing her sister still, with the chair held high. She was half tempted to say that she doesn’t know that person but--

“Why is Hyejin-ah chasing her sister around with a chair?”

Her mother had the best timing in the world.