Ch 17

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It: Uni

If there are no fights in a relationship then is it a relationship at all? All people are different, in personality and values, and there are just a few things that just won’t change. A person can change yes, but you can mold clay to whatever form but it will always be clay. So, there are fundamentals of  a person that will never change. 

Wheein and Hyejin were the few lucky ones in that regard. Their compatibility was astounding that it even surprised their parents. Yong and Byul hoped for the best for the two but they were also acutely aware that this was Wheein’s first relationship and first relationships are rarely anyone’s only relationship. They just hoped that WHeein would learn the skills needed to maintain a relationship and the communication skills that come along with it. Hyejin’s parents knew vaguely of their daughter’s dating history and hoped that she would at least settle a bit and grow. Neither expected them to last this long without fighting. 

But Wheein and Hyejin surprised them all. 

However, they are just human. And eventually their differences would catch up to them, no matter how much they compromise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Monday evening and they were at Wheein’s house. Her parents were out for the rest of the evening and into the night as they were meeting old friends so that just left her and Hyejin all alone. 

Hyejin was making up for lost time away from the outdoors so she was lounging by the pool. Specifically along the edge were an arm and leg could dangle freely into the water. When Wheein came back with a small tray of drinks and snacks and found Hyejin like that, she could only smile and gently shake her head. 

“What are you doing?” Wheein asked as she placed the tray on the table by the lounge chairs. 

“Becoming one with the water,” Hyejin replied without moving.

“Be one with pool water?” Wheein asked as she made her way to poke Hyejin. 

“It’s not the river but what else is there?” Hyejin wiggled her leg and arm that were in the water. 

Wheein finally made it to Hyejin and peered over her. 

“You could use the little float things to float on the water instead of just kinda laying here?” Wheein said as she pointed towards the various lounge floaties that were stacked to the side.

“But you were on ya way back from getting snackos,” Hyejin finally turned her head so she could look at Wheein.

“And I’m back with snackos and you’re still here,” Wheein stated with a small pout.

“Gimme a sec,” Hyejin said as she finally got up and shook some of the water off from her arm and leg. 

As they walked back to the lounge chairs, Hyejin wrapped herself around Wheein. Not letting go even when they sat down. Leaving Wheein to feed her. 

It was a peaceful evening between the two. Their conversations were about anything and everything. While they steered away from  the topic of school, this was spring break so they wanted to forget about school for the week, they touched upon it only a little. Mostly about the future. 

Hyejin mentioned maybe taking a semester abroad. Everyone in her classes, and even her professors, said that it would be good to take a semester abroad. Not only for the chance to experience a different place but for also the connections as well. Hopefully by the time junior year comes around, or even senior year, then she would have saved enough money to cover a good portion of the costs. 

“Where would you like to go?” Wheein asked. She had to admire Hyejin. She never once considered studying abroad even though it would be amazing to do so. 

“Hmmmmmm,” Hyejin pondered for a minute.

“Did you even think about where to go?” Wheein asked with a soft smile.

“Nope! Future me can figure that out,” Hyejin said with a broad smile.

“Future you is going to be so mad at you right now,” Wheein grinned. She could only imagine how an older Hyejin would be when confronted with the dilemma of choosing where to go when it could’ve been solved so long ago.

“Well she can stuff it,” Hyejin stretched and draped herself across Wheein’s lap. Enjoying the last rays of the sun before it vanishes behind the houses. 

“Wow, I’m gonna remember this so you can’t complain when the time comes and you’re bellyaching about choosing a place to go,” Wheein said as she began to Hyejin’s hair. 

Hyejin opened to retort but was cut off by her phone. Getting up from Wheein’s lap,  she leaned over to pick up her phone and immediately smiled when she saw that it was.

“What is it?” Wheein’s curiosity was piqued. 

“Sujeong sent a pic of her dog,” Hyejin held her smile as she turned her phone so Wheein could see. 

Despite the distraction of the dog, Hyejin didn’t miss the look of pain that flashed across Wheein’s face. In fact, this isn’t the first time such a look came across Wheein’s face when Sujeong was brought up. She thought Wheein would tell her but nothing came about. Time to ask.

“Wheein-ah, why do you look pained, well annoyed, every time I mention Sujeong?” Hyejin asked as she put down her phone. 

As soon as Hyejin asked that, Wheein felt something within her snap a bit. Why?? The answer is obvious and yet Hyejin still didn’t see it. How could she not though? Wheein has made it abundantly clear that she’s uneasy with Sujeong. While she won’t control who Hyejin is around or hangs out with, there should be a level of…..decency. Right?

“Are you serious?” Wheein had to ask. Surely this was just a jest.

“Yea, that’s why I’m asking,” Hyejin replied almost defensively. 

“How could I not be? She’s basically lied to you about her memories to lull you into a false sense of security so she could stay close to you!”

“Yea, and I confronted her about it. So it’s done,” Hyejin shrugged as if the whole situation wasn’t absurd.

Wheein turned towards Hyejin with an estranged look.

“Done? Done for you but not for me!” Wheein was getting upset and more confused. Usually she could reason Hyejin’s logic, but this? How could she reason anything when there was nothing to reason.

“What does it have to do with you?” Hyejin asked sincerely.

Wheein was taken aback by the sincerity in Hyejin’s voice. Hyejin truly believed that Wheein had no part in it. That Wheein was just a bystander. But that’s far from the truth. The way Sujeong has been acting towards Wheein has been civil enough. In fact, even after Hyejin talked to her, she treated Wheein the same. However, there was a hint of smugness from Sujeong. As if she knew something that Wheein didn’t. As well as taking every chance at being close as she could to Hyejin with that smug face. It was starting to wear Wheein thin.

“What does it have to do with me? Hyejin-ah,” Wheein shook her head. Still unable to comprehend Hyejin’s logic. If there was any.

“I told you I took care of it so why does it still bother you?” Hyejin was just as confused. The matter was taken cared of so why is it still being talked about. 

“Well, for one obvious thing, is that she’s your ex who made it perfectly clear what her intentions are,” Wheein crossed her arms. 

“Ugh, I said I already took care of it, what more do you want?” Hyejin waved in front of her face as if it would wave away this topic. 

“Did you?” Wheein had to clarify. She still doesn’t know what exactly it means when Hyejin says she took care of it. What did she take care of?

“Don’t you trust me?” Hyejin was a bit agitated at this point.

Wheein sighed and let her arms fall to her side, “Of course I trust you. But, I don’t trust Sujeong and I don’t see anything that proves otherwise.”

“So what do you want me to do? Do you want to ban me from seeing Sujeong?” Hyejin huffed out of annoyance.

“What? No,” Wheein briefly shook her head, “I just mean it would be great if I could see something so I wouldn’t feel so iffy about her.”

Hyejin looked at Wheein with confusion all over her face, “Show you? Wheein-ah, I took care of it so let it be done.”

Hyejin tried to wave off the topic but Wheein wasn’t having it. This was the time to air her grievances. She could only hope that Hyejin could see where she was coming from. 

“Uhm, no?”

“Uh, yes? It was my burden so you don’t need to know every little detail. Just know that I told her to have no expectations about me ever, ever, going back to her. I told her that I wanted a friend, not someone in a made up line. So, there,” Hyejin shrugged again.

Wheein pinched the bridge of her nose, “Then why didn’t you tell me that then?”

“You didn’t ask. And like I said, it’s taken cared of so--”

“Why do I have to ask? You can just tell me,” Wheein didn’t know what hurt more. The fact that Hyejin didn’t even tell her what she told Sujeong or that fact that Hyejin felt like she shouldn’t share her burdens.

“Why do I need to tell you?”
 
There was that sincerity in Hyejin’s question again. 

“Because I’m your girlfriend!”

“But it doesn’t involve you??”

“What do you mean it doesn’t involve me? Of course it does, Hyejin-ah!” Wheein stood up. Still unable to comprehend Hyejin’s reasoning. Hyejin just kept repeating herself. 

“It’s between me and Sujeong,” Hyejin looked up Wheein with a tilt of her head, “Why are ya worked up over this? It’s done already so just let it go, Wheein-ah.”

Hyejin reached out to grab Wheein’s arm but she pulled away before Hyejin got too close.

“Wheein-ah…” Hyejin’s voice was pained. She had never seen Wheein like this before. Never this agitated before. She still couldn’t see where Wheein was coming from either. Doesn’t she know that Hyejin’s heart is hers so why even be concerned over Sujeong in the first place?

“It’s not done! How is it done if it feels like I’m competing with Sujeong?!”

Hyejin immediately stood up to face Wheein on even grounds. 

“Competing? How!?” Hyejin exclaimed. She has shown nothing but love and loyalty to Wheein, even with Sujeong around. So why does Wheein feel like she’s competing with Sujeong? Wasn’t her love enough to ease Wheein’s worries? No, wasn’t her actions enough to ease Wheein’s worries? Why would Wheein believe such a thing?

Hyejin approached Wheein but Wheein only backed up further and hugged herself. As if at any moment she could break into a million tiny pieces. 

“Because if you could fall for her once then you could fall for her again,” Wheein’s voice was defeated. She finally voiced the words her own demons whispered to her in the dead of night.

Hyejin clenched her jaw. Offended that Wheein would even think of such a thing. Hurt that Wheein could even think of such a thing. She wanted nothing more than to envelop Wheein in a hug and let this all go. 

“Why would I even fall for her when there’s you. How could I even fall for her when you’re the one I hold in my heart. I love you, Wheein-ah, how could you even think I would leave you just because Sujeong is back?”

“Because it’s easy to leave me!”

Wheein’s answer surprised Hyejin and herself. Hyejin paused her advance as she comprehended Wheein’s words. Wheein’s face flashed with horror before she turned to run back to her room. 

She barely made three steps before Hyejin enveloped her in a back hug. 

“Wheein-ah…” Hyejin whispered. 

Hyejin’s grip around her was so strong and comforting that Wheein felt herself give into them. She felt her tears fall. 

“Wheein-ah, what is it? You’ve been more moody and snappy lately,” Hyejin said as she wiped Wheein’s tears away. Despite not being able to clearly see Wheein’s face, her hands knew where to go and touch became her main sense. Her fingertips have long since memorised every detail on Wheein’s face and body. 

Wheein’s own tears overtook her body as she became unresponsive. Something Hyejin was all too familiar with. Without pressing Wheein further, Hyejin sat back down onto the lounge chair and pulled Wheein onto her lap and cradled her. 

She held onto Wheein tightly and let her cry. She knew how important it was to ride the wave of sadness that overtakes you, especially when you least expect it. Despite the pain, it was easier that way. Fighting back sadness when it’s begging for attention is one of the hardest things to do. So, all that Hyejin could do was hold onto Wheein. Letting her touch do the talking. 

In the comfort of Hyejin’s arms, Wheein let herself cry. Finally voicing what has been eating away at her brought clarity to her mind. Finally admitting that with Sujeong back, Wheein’s worst fears were in the forefront of her mind. Sure, she knows better but what she feels conflicts with what she knows. She knows that Hyejin won’t just leave her just because Sujeong is back, but she feels like she could lose Hyejin at any second. The more people Hyejin meets, the more likely Hyejin would find someone else and leave her. She knows that Hyejin won’t leave her easily but she feels like sooner or later Hyejin will realise how easy it would be to leave her. Afterall, everyone she has known has left her without a hint of remorse. Her friendships back in highschool? Well, that story was already told. Her friendships formed from her first semester? None of them made an effort to keep in contact despite her attempts at keeping them alive. 

It was all eating at her and it made her art suffer as a result. While still objectively and technically good, she felt like she was lacking. That stress of fighting an unknown force was getting to her. It was why she was moodier than usual and more snappy all throughout the semester. She tried her best to hide it but if Hyejin noticed then she must’ve done a terrible job. 

“Wheein-ah,” Hyejin’s voice easily broke through Wheein’s mental typhoon, “What’s wrong? Tell me, please. I don’t know if I can help but I can listen.”

Such earnest words. Wheein curled more in on herself. Here she was, being mad at Hyejin and yet Hyejin is the one comforting her.

“I’m sorry…” Wheein muttered. It was the only thing she could say.

“No, it’s not your fault,” Hyejin whispered as she wiped the hair from Wheein’s face.

Wheein sniffled a bit, “It’s not your fault either…”

Hyejin softly smiled. Knowing full well that if she were to argue that it was then Wheein would argue that it would also be her fault and thus they would be at an impasse. An impasse where there was only one clear answer. An answer Wheein also knew. The answer that they were both at fault. 

“You can share your burdens, you know?” Wheein said as she looked up at Hyejin. Her tears slowly began to stop as her eyes shined with a renewed vigor. 

As Hyejin looked down at Wheein, she felt her heart stop. Wheein was so beautiful. Besides her obvious looks but her soul as well. Wheein meant well and wanted the best for Hyejin. Sure, there are times where they miscommunicate, like now, but despite it all, Wheein only wants the best for Hyejin. Even if that meant she had to put herself aside. Hyejin felt tears prickle at the edge of her eyes.

“Hm? Why are you crying? I just got through crying!” WHeein was just recovering from her brief outburst but seeing Hyejin cry made her cry again.

“Cuz ya the best girlfriend in the world,” Hyejin cried. Burying her face into Wheein’s neck. 

They clung to each other as their tears fell. Tears of neither sadness nor anger. It was tears of cleansing. The tears that one shed in order to release all of the pent up emotions that have been held back for so long. 

As they came back down from their catharsis, they fell into a comfortable silence. Only speaking about what to do next time. Nothing too demanding.

Hyejin promised to keep Wheein in the loop. As she said these words she made the mental note to check her assumptions. She assumed Wheein was fine and if she wasn’t then she would speak up but that was a dangerous assumption that resulted in this evening’s argument. Today she learned it was dangerous to assume. 

Wheein promised to be more vocal about things that concerned her. Even when she trusts Hyejin, it would still be wise to voice her concerns.  As she said those words she made the mental note to talk to Hyejin about her general concerns as well. Even just speaking them out loud provided such relief that Wheein questioned why she never did that before. 

Eventually the sun set behind the houses and the only hint of its existence was the sky changing colours from orange and warm tones to more blue and cold tones.  The air around them turned cooler and the outside lights flickered on and basked them in it’s artificial hue. And yet they remained. Comfortable in each other's arms and wanting nothing more than to pass the time together. 

Which they would have if Hyejin’s phone didn’t interrupt their serene state of mind. 

“Who the fu--” Hyejin was irritated that her moment with Wheein was cut short but her face blanched when she saw the caller id. Never has Wheein seen Hyejin move so fast to answer a phone call.

“Hi mom,” Hyejin had a sheepish smile.

Wheein immediately heard Hyejin’s mother berate her. 

After the call ended, Hyejin let out a sigh.

“I honestly don’t know whose parents are the scariest, yours or mine,” Wheein mused as she got up and cleaned up their area. 

“If you asked me that question a few years ago I would’ve said yours but now,”  Hyejin grabbed her bag and headed back into the house with Wheein, “I say mine.”

Wheein laughed and went to quickly put up the empty tray and glasses before escorting Hyejin out.

“Have fun tomorrow~” Wheein as she opened the front door. 

“UUuuuugh, I just want one day alone with my girlfriend, is that too much to ask?” Hyejin grumbled as she accepted her goodbye kiss from Wheein. 

“I’m spending the rest of the week with you??” Wheein’s eyes followed Hyejin’s retreating form. 

“Ok but not alone though!” Hyejin exclaimed from the middle of the yard. 

“Oh my god, just go home already!” Wheein softly chuckled.

“I am, I am~” Hyejin drawled as she finally made it to her bike. Making sure everything was strapped and secured, she put her helmet on. 

“Let me know when you get there,” Wheein called out as Hyejin started the bike. 

“I will! I love you!” Hyejin said over the engine’s roar.

“I love you too! Now get going before your mom punishes you!”

With that, Hyejin hastily returned home. Leaving Wheein to wistfully watch her leave. Once Hyejin was out of sigh, a content sigh escaped her lips and she retreated back inside. As she closed the door and locked it, she felt eyes on her. Pausing just a moment to get a bearing on her surroundings, she quickly turned around and looked up to see her parents looking at her. Her mom had both fists over , it made her face squish a little, and her eyes sparkled with tears? Wheein looked at her mother and found her clinging onto her mom with an expression that was a mix of sadness, and was that pride? Wait, when did they come home?

“Awwwwww, Wheein-aaaaaah!!” Her parents cried as they made their way down. 

Oh no.