Chapter II

You Make Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Thank you for wanting to consult me, Ms. Hwang."

"Oh no, I should thank you," Yeji bowed repeatedly. "The IRT seems very helpful."

"I do hope for our next session, your nightmares lessen."

"I hope so too, Dr. Kim."

After the successful session with her new therapist, Dr. Kim Dahyun, Yeji's surprised to say that she felt happy and satisfied about it. She was able to talk about the recurring nightmares she keeps having every night and with the few tests the doctor prepared for her, she felt as if some of the weight of her stress were lifted off her shoulders. She thought the counselling isn't so bad after all, just like what Jisu advised her to. She made up her mind and decides to continue to visit.

Speaking of Jisu, Yeji pulled out her phone and decided to send her a thank you message. She's already at the lobby of the building, her eyes fixated on typing a message when she hears her name being called, her head whipping towards the source in curiosity.

"Yeji-ssi!"

Just then, she saw the familiar figure walking towards her, flashing her that same sweet smile she kept imagining for the past few days.

"Hi," Jisu greets her, finally standing an arm length away from her. "How was your first session with Dr. Kim?"

Yeji noticed that the girl has a juice box in her hand, assuming that the girl just came from the vending machine nearby.

"What a coincidence," Yeji says, greeting her with a smile. "I was just about to text you about it!"

"Oh, really??"

Yeji brought her phone's screen towards Jisu's face, showing her the incomplete message. The other girl chuckled.

"Well, you can tell me about it now."

"Are you free?"

Jisu tucked her other hand inside her pocket, her left foot drawing circles on the floor, as if acting cute towards the silver-haired woman. "Well, I'm on my break..."

As much as Yeji wants to just grab her by the waist and spin her around because of how cute she looks right now, she decided to just shoot her a wide grin. "Alright, I'll tell you," she noticed an empty bench nearby, inviting the girl to sit together as they both walked towards it. 

"Wait," Jisu excused herself and went back to the vending machine. She punched another drink and got a strawberry, yoghurt beverage. She walks back to the bench where Yeji's already sitting and sat beside her, offering her the drink she bought. "Here you go!"

"Woah, thanks," Yeji says, reaching for the drink. "You even got my favorite! You must be my soulmate," she jokes.

Jisu blushes a little as she drinks her juice, hoping that the other girl won't notice. Of course she knew that the woman isn't serious but that small sentiment made her heart feel a little giddy.

"How's Dr. Kim?"

"Just like you said, she's a great therapist," Yeji says as she opens her own drink. "Gotta hand it to you, Jisu-ssi."

"Of course," Jisu said oh-so-proudly, making the other girl chuckle in response.

"I've also been taking the medicines regularly," Yeji continues as she sips on her drink. "It did help me sleep but I still keep having nightmares."

"Oh?" Jisu turns to look at her, a small frown forming on her lips. "Maybe you should stop taking those then."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Jisu thinks carefully. "I'm gonna prescribe you with another medicine. For now, you can stop taking those."

"What should I take then?"

"I'm gonna send it to Dr. Kim first, so she could check if it's okay," the petite woman further explains. "You can get it on your next session with her."

Yeji nodded as she looks at Jisu. "Thank you for still looking after me."

"You can still count on me," Jisu smiles at her as Yeji returns it back.

"Oh, and also for this," Yeji showed her the drink as Jisu chuckles.

"It's nothing."

 

 

***
 

 

Yeji stretched out her arms in the air as she turns to the short-haired woman beside her who has slumped her head on top of her desk.

"I'm so stressed out."

"Me too," Yeji agrees with her bestfriend as she hugs her behind. "Tteokbokki?"

The other woman automatically snapped her head up at the mention of the food, nodding continuously to her friend. Yeji could only laugh.

They're just glad that their shift is finally over and it's almost late at night that they decided to head home. They had to work overtime to make up for the time they were absent and although Yeji was advised not too work much since she just got back from her sick leave, she insisted that she wants to work and meet the deadlines that was already set way back. She's known for being that excessively hardworking employee around their company and because of the performance she showed recently, she got promoted.

"I'm jdkdkckd of you, Yeddeong."

"Yah, stop talking with your mouth full."

The short-haired woman chewed the food in and washes it down with a soda, laughing at her bestfriend. "I said I'm proud of you!"

"How am I supposed to understand that?" Yeji munched down on her own food and pointed the chopsticks to her friend. "You talk like an alien."

Ryujin gasps. "How dare you make aliens an insult?"

Yeji rolls her eyes and continued eating.

"But seriously," Ryujin wraps her arm around her bestfriend's shoulder, snuggling to her. "I think you deserve that promotion."

"Thank you," Yeji smiles as she pushes a piece of meat close to Ryujin's mouth, which the woman happily accepted.

"See, you're the best!"

"Stop bluffing," Yeji shook her head at the younger woman's behavior. "Thank you, anyway."

"How was your therapy, though?" Ryujin brought up, as if not getting tired to bestfriend. "Is Dr. Choi treating you well?"

"For your information, she's not my doctor anymore."

"What? Why's that?!" Ryujin whines in defeat.  "Just when my bestfriend's starting to like someone, again..."

Yeji laughed and turns her attention to her bestfriend. "Was it already that long?"

"Yes," Ryujin rolls her eyes. "You've been alone for over a year now, seriously, you need to make a move on someone."

"Do you think I'm ready for it?"

"Of course!"

Yeji went silent for a while, the thought of being single finally occured to her. She wants to ask herself if she's really ready, if she's already over her past, and if she really thinks she likes this certain girl who she only encountered for a few times. She didn't want to force herself or any idea into matter but thinking about it, maybe the reason why she's been dedicating herself too much into her work and stressing about it so much, which caused her her mental health that she has to consult a therapist, is because she's lacking that need in her life again. She admits, it's been so long since she felt attracted to someone other than her ex and it feels nice to know that she's learning to like someone again.

"I think you're over her already," Ryujin confirms to her as she stuffs with more tteokbokki.

"You really think so?" 

"Yeah," the other girl replied and says other more things that Yeji can't comprehend anymore, since she's talking with full again.

Do I like you, Choi Jisu?

 

 

***

 

 

It's Sunday. Jisu and Yuna decided to go shopping after their parents left for another business trip and gave them money to buy something for themselves. They reasoned out that they weren't spending much time with their daughters and hoped they could make up for it soon but for now, they can go have fun with themselves and Jisu came up with the idea that they go to the mall, just like what sisters mostly enjoy.

"Look at this, unnie!" the younger girl chirped, showing her sister a bunny stuffed toy. She imitated the expression of the little guy, which seems to be angry, as Jisu laughs.

"You look just like it!" Jisu exclaimed, not wanting to miss out the opportunity of taking a picture of Yuna.

"Yah, unnie, don't post that!"

Jisu sticks out her tongue towards the girl, acting as if she's the youngest of them. They continued walking around, with Yuna holding the bunny she got, wanting to pay for it later. They pass by some home decorations and something caught Jisu's attention. Night lamps.

She grabbed one and showed it to her sister.

"Do you think it's cute?"

"Hmm, I think it'll look good in your room," Yuna replied, observing the iterm.

Jisu purses her lips as she placed the lamp down and grabbed another one that doesn't fit her, since she remembers a certain someone who has a style opposite to her. 

"I think I'll get this one instead," Jisu muttered, a smile playing on her lips.

"That doesn't feel like you, though," Yuna says to her sister, shooting her a questioning look.

"Well then, it's perfect."

 

 

***
 

 

Yeji's next session progressed pretty well as Dr. Kim gave her results from the past tests. She's also handed with a paper, which the doctor said prescribed by Dr. Choi, making Yeji smile.

"And also," Dr. Kim says, leaning down her table to reach for something and brought it up on top of her table. She pushes it towards Yeji, who eyes the item presented in front of her. "Dr. Choi wants me to give you this."

Yeji's surprised to find out that she's receiving something from Jisu, especially that Jisu didn't tell her anything about it. She contemplates whether she should accept it, since the box is pretty big, but Dr. Kim insists she should take it.

"What is this?" she asks, scanning the present.

"She says it's a lamp," Dr. Kim answered. "To help you sleep better."

A smile formed on Yeji's face. The idea of Jisu wanting to help her get better made her happy and giddy inside.

"But this is too much..."

"She also says you have to keep it, it's free of charge," Dr. Kim laughed. "Are you guys close?"

"Err, I'm not sure?" Yeji said, eyeing the box. "But our first encounter somehow made us friends."

"Oh?" Dr. Kim questions. Yeji started telling her about what happened and the doctor kept laughing after hearing about it. "That's cute. I could expect that from Jisu."

"Really?"

"Yeah, she's always been like that," Dr. Kim says, wiping a tear away because of laughing too much. "And this whole thing," she continues as she points on the box and Yeji back and forth. "Means you really got her interest."

Yeji blushed, making the woman across her laugh even more.

"You guys are cute."

 

 

***

 

 

After being promoted from work, Yeji decides it's time to buy her own car. She's been dreaming of owning one since then but she never got the opportunity to because she wasn't really good at saving money, more so buying something for herself. Whenever she earns her salary, she would always just buy something for her family, or her friends, and Ryujin once scolded her when Yeji wasted most of her money to buy something for her ex rather than herself. Since then, she has to consult Ryujin first before she buys anything expensive.

Now, both her and Ryujin are looking around for a car that best fits Yeji's taste.

"I want something less expensive but worth it for its price," Yeji says, tapping her temples as she looks around, eyeing the cars in the lot.

"How about this one?" Ryujin pointed at a posh, black hatchback, one that ultimately made Yeji go, "Woah!" as she hops towards the car, the dealer following closely behind them with a smile.

"This one's pretty popular these days," he says, opening the car for the two girls so they can check the inside interior. "I would recommend it too."

Yeji turned to Ryujin in excitement. "Ryujinnie, I really want this one!"

"Already?" Ryujin exclaimed. "Don't just say you like it because of the color!"

The dealer starts laughing as he watches the girls bicker at each other.

"I'm really sorry about my friend," Ryujin says to the guy, covering Yeji's mouth who's still trying to say something. "Please do tell us more about it."

At the end of the day, Yeji managed to buy the car after going through a lot of paperwork and of course, with the help of her bestfriend. They spent almost the whole day in the shop but it was all worth it since they were able to take it home at the same day, much to Ryujin's surprise. 

"I can't believe this," Yeji says in awe as she sits in the driver's seat, caressing the steering wheel in front of her. "I'm going home with a car!" 

"And I'm your first passenger!" Ryujin squealed beside her, showing the same excitement as the silver-haired girl. They're still in the lot, waiting for the guy they were taking to earlier since he's still processing some of the papers. He came back moments later and informed them about a few more things, telling them that they can come back for accessories and other additional stuff she wants her car to have, and exchanged numbers.

Finally, Yeji drove away, feeling accomplished. The first thing she thought as she sped up was that she could finally visit her parents anytime and take them to the city. She was really happy that day.

A few days later, Yeji went back to the hospital for the weekly session with Dr. Kim and felt different this time. Well, she's proud of herself that she's taking a car with her, rather than taking the usual bus. As much as she tries to wipe the smug look on her face, she can't help the idea that fate might bring her to Jisu once again and already thought that maybe she could show off to the girl. She turns to her side and grabbed the nicely packed delicacy she bought on her way, the one she kept in mind last week that she should bring to Jisu in exchange for the night lamp she got from her.

Realization hit her and she suddenly felt embarrassed with herself. 

Am I only coming back here in hopes of seeing her? she thought, shaking her head. Remember, Yeji. You're here for your session, okay? she slapped herself lightly, reminding herself about her original intention for coming to the hospital.

She went out of her car, clamped the key to her pant's belt loop, and pressed the lock button in her key, feeling satisfied. It might be a weird feeling but Yeji finds it cool whenever she does that. It's just that she's always reminded that she finally owns a car.

Yeji walks out of the parking lot and went towards the building, with the little package in her hand. She decided to bring the food to the woman's office first before going to her appointment. Finally reaching the floor, she went straig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter