Chapter VII

You Make Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a rough day for Choi Jisu.

Although the usual things happen around work, Jisu just can't seem to focus. Especially when she just saw the silver-haired girl at the hospital again but before she could even call out to her, Yeji just hurriedly exits the hospital, as if she's trying to run away from anyone and the fact that Jisu is sure their eyes met, it only tells her that she's the reason why.

Why would Yeji do that?

Jisu ponders it over, whether she should ask Yeji about it or not, yet ending up with the idea not to bother Yeji about it. If she's dealing with a problem right now, maybe it's better to respect her decision of not wanting to talk to anyone and maybe, of course, she's just fully aware that she may be sensitive at times and forcing people to explain why they're acting that way towards her reminds her of the times she's being needy to people she loved.

Jisu didn't want for Yeji to think that way about her. Not this time. She really liked Yeji.

And although the worry might not dissipate soon, Jisu decides it might be the best.

But when it went on for consecutive days she saw Yeji at the hospital, Jisu starts to feel uneasy—frustrated, even.

Jisu thought Yeji won't have to go back to continue her session anymore but she eventually realized that the girl lied about it to her and she's running away from explaining it to anyone. She asked Ryujin about it but she didn't really get any clear answers from the short-haired girl lately as she's suddenly occupied with work. Apparently, Ryujin was caught slacking off in the office so now, she's facing some consequences. They weren't meeting up lately anymore, the same with Yeji. It's been a long time since she last interacted with her and Jisu misses her that it's starting to irritate her. She's been trying her best to catch Yeji at times but the silver-haired girl makes sure she exits somewhere else, just to avoid bumping into the doctor.

Jisu knew it all too well and yet, she fails her attempts.

Why is she avoiding me?!

After a patient left the room, Jisu slumps her head on top of the table, glad to finish another session just to go back to her little dramatic , whining here and there, unknowingly making loud noises.

"Jisu-unnie, are you alright?"

Jisu looks up to see her assistant-slash-friend enter the room, walking over to sit on the chair across her. The petite woman burries her head in between her arms again, groaning.

"You're acting like someone snatched your toy," Chaeryeong jokes. "Mum's here, Jisu-ya!" she tries to cheer, wanting to lift up Jisu's mood but to no avail, Jisu groans once more.

"I'm not in the mood, Ryeong."

Chaeryeong's expression morphed into a worried one, finally absorbing the low energy emitting by the doctor in front of her.

"Sorry, are you okay?"

"..."

"Do you want to go home? I can just tell the next patient to—"

"No, no, don't do that," Jisu snaps her head up, shaking her head furiously to assure that she's going to be fine. "I'll finish today. One more patient left, right?"

The brunette nods, lifting an arm up to pat the older one's shoulder.

"You sure? The offer is still up in one, two..."

"Yeees," Jisu softly whines before chuckling at her friend's playful antics, raising her head up to finally look at Chaeryeong. "I'll be fine," she weakly beams, but Chaeryeong didn't buy it.

"I know you, Jisu-unnie," Chaeryeong frowns, crossing her arms to her chest. "This zombie act has been going on for days."

"I just have a lot of things in my mind," Jisu admits, sighing loudly. "But don't worry, I'll sort them all out eventually."

Chaeryeong stands up from her seat when she hears the door click outside, a signal that Jisu's little break is over and another patient might pop inside in a few. She looked at Jisu for a moment, the girl staring back at her whilst tilting her head. "What?"

"After work, we'll talk about it whether you like it or not," Chaeryeong says and didn't even wait for a reply as she left the room to go back to her spot. 

Jisu sighs. Well, it's true she needed someone to rant to and knowing that she can't run away from it, maybe it's best to tell Chaeryeong about it once and for all. She is a good candidate for it, anyway. The brunette can be more understanding and mature than her sometimes.

A patient slowly enters the room, bowing multiple times in respect, and Jisu decides to attend the matter for now.

After an hour, her shift ended and they finally went out of the building to go somewhere else to talk. Jisu took the opportunity to introduce the minimalistic café to Chaeryeong as they settle in a table for two and ordered some milkshakes. She opts for a strawberry flavor as it reminds her of a certain someone.

She truly misses Yeji.

"Unnie, how come you never invite me here?" Chaeryeong decided to order a pasta for herself, munching on it as she whines to her older friend like she's missing so much in life. "This carbonara is the best!"

"I was only introduced here as well."

"By who?"

Jisu bit her lip and brought her drink closer, sipping on the straw as she averts her eyes from her friend.

"H-Hwang Yeji..." she said softly, almost like a tiny font to Chaeryeong, if she were going to describe how cute Jisu always acted at the mention of the name. The brunette raises both of her eyebrows, of course, not wanting to miss the opportunity to tease Jisu.

"Ah, is that so?" Chaeryeong had an all-knowing smug look on her expression, resulting to the sudden heat brought to Jisu's cheeks. "You miss her, is that why you've been whining?"

Knowing Chaeryeong, she'll just push through with her teasing so Jisu decides to just admit, nodding as she avoids the other girl's stare.

"Confident now, I see," Chaeryeong muses. "But you see her during breaks, right? We don't even eat together anymore."

"Actually, that's my problem," Jisu recalled the times Yeji would distance herself, now frowning. "I see her during my breaks but we never hang out together."

"What do you mean?"

"I just wait for her at the lobby to see her," Jisu says while she fiddles with her fingers. "And when I do, she won't even take a look but exit the building as soon as she can. Then I'll realize my break is already over and go back to my office."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter