Sandara Park’s Kwon Jiyong

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

JIYONG’s POV

Since Dara’s grandmother migrated in Japan when Dara was still young, it was only now that she will be back in the country. Honestly, I’m a bit nervous to meet her because out of all Dara’s relatives, it was only her that I haven’t met yet.

I dropped Dara first to the venue , and will follow later. I just need to fix some things in the office.

When I arrived back, I quickly greet everyone, knowing each of them very well. I was trying to find Dara when I felt someone following all my moves. She was an old woman whom I don’t recognize. Is she Dara’s grandmother?

“Jisoo, where’s your sister?”

“I saw her went in the bathroom.” I walked there and decided to wait since the location of the bathroom would hide me from the stares of the old woman. It feels really weird. She was smiling as if she knew something about me, I, myself do not know.

“Babe, do I look okay?” I asked when Dara went out. She smiled, nodding, holding my hand.

“Come on. I’ll introduce you to grandma.” I tightened my grasp onto her, finding it very nervous to meet her grandmother. She stopped walking, probably noticing my heavy steps.

“Babe?”

“Did I do something wrong? I mean did you tell something about me to her that I should be cautious of?”

“What are you talking about? She will surely like you. She can’t stop asking me about you since a while ago.” That made me gulped hard. God, why am I feeling like this? Why is she curious about me?

Dara proceeded on walking, and seriously, her grandmother’s soft stares are killing me.

“Grandma, this is Jiyong, my boyfriend.” I bowed at her, shaking her hand in the process. Before I even release my hold, she tightens it, surprising me.

“Finally. It was nice to meet you, Jiyong. Sandara Park’s Kwon Jiyong.” I swear my heart is still beating so fast with this introduction but her words made me giddy.

My full name and Dara’s full name together, it sounds perfect. Sandara Park’s Kwon Jiyong. This old woman surely knows her way into words, I bet Dara got her wits from her.

“Dara, make sure you’ll marry him.” She said out of the blue, surprising me and Dara.

“Grandma, what are you talking about?” Dara forced a laugh, clearly embarrassed at how she was being offered to a man her grandmother just met.

“I’ll be waiting.” She smiled knowingly, still staring at me.

“It would be my honor. I think I did something great in my past life to be able to love her now.” The old woman chuckled at my reply. 

“You really did something young man.”

 

 

Since the reunion, the words of Dara’s grandmother were tattooed on Jiyong’s mind. True, they were living together and could already passed as a married couple but it’s still different to be legally married. Without hesitation, he finally decided to propose. He was sure, Dara is the only woman whom he wanted and needed to spend the rest of his life with.

He spent weeks thinking of how he should propose, what ring he needs to buy, when and where it will happen, and so on.

 

 

“Noona!” Seungri waved at Dara as he entered her office.

“Why are you here?”

“Hyung called me to pick you. He said he has an emergency meeting.”

“I see. He’s working hard these days.” Dara replied, remembering those nights she would caught him working on his laptop or talking someone to his phone.

“Let’s go.” She ushered him when the clock’s hand hit 6 o’clock.

During the drive, Dara was busy fiddling on her phone, unaware that her surroundings is not the destination she was expecting.

“We’re here.”

Dara looked up and noticed they were in a different place. She gave Seungri a questioning look but he just shrugged off his shoulders.

“This is the museum Jiyong is working.” She said more to herself.

“Hyung is waiting. You should go inside.”

“Why is he here?”

“Don’t let him wait. I’m sure he’s nervous as hell.” He laughed.

“Come with me.” Dara tugged his sleeves but the man refused to move.

With slow steps, she walked towards the museum. When she finally reached the glass door of the first hall upon entering, the inside was pitch black. She was alone and too scared with the darkness, She started stepping backwards so she could go back to Seungri.

“Noona, fighting!” Seungri shouted from a distance. She calmed herself, and moves forward again.

She took a deep breath before pushing the glass door. The moment she did, the whole place was lit with thousands of small lights. Little butterfly replicas decorated the whole area like they were flying. Along with them were hanging photos of her and Jiyong together. On the far end, an orchestra was playing his song for her, Butterfly.

Dara was surprised and amazed on the beauty of the place. It looked like a scene in a fairy tale, it was magical. She took her time walking around, looking at the photos one by one. She would sometimes laugh, remembering the moments when the photos were taken.

She looked around, finding the man responsible for all these.

On cue, Jiyong appeared, her back facing him.

“Looking for me?” She quickly turned around when he heard his voice.

“Babe, what’s this? It’s wonderful!” He just smiled while walking his way to her.

“May I have this dance, my butterfly?” Jiyong offered his hand. Instead of reaching for it, Dara entwined her hands behind his neck. He chuckled at her actions before snaking his arms on her waist, pulling her closer to him. Their foreheads touching, bodies swaying along the music, eyes boring each other.

“Thank you for always making me happy and special. I love you Ji.” Dara gave him a lingering kiss.

“Babe, we’ve been together for so long now. But every single day, I always discover new things about you. I always find more reasons to love you.”

“Did you know your grandmother asked me last time how would I feel if I didn’t meet you. I wasn’t able to answer her. I tried to think of a good answer to impress her but I can’t. I can’t imagine living this life without you. It will just kill me.”

“I wanted to protect you, to take care of you, to make you laugh, to make you smile. I know we have some differences, but I’ve learned to accept that. I’m willing to sacrifice everything for you, babe. You’ll always worth it. I know you’ve heard this before but yes, I’m still wondering what I did in my past life to deserve you. I love you so much Sandara Park.”

Tears started flowing from her eyes. It was just too much for her. Did she really suffered so much in her past life to deserve all these kinds of happiness?

“Babe, please spend the rest of your life with me.” She nodded her head before breaking into sobs. Jiyong hugged her, thanking her for trusting her life with him. 

In the middle of the vast space of the museum, Jiyong and Dara were in their own world, drowned in their kiss. Surrounding them were their memories together, brightly lit like it will never fade. The melody flowing gracefully like it was created just to dance. The butterflies flying freely like it will never get restless. It was how Jiyong envisioned it – perfect and magical. His woman deserved all these.

 

 

“Dara!” Bom shrieked when she noticed the ring on Dara’s finger. She grabbed her friend’s hand, and inspect the ring thoroughly. Mino also entered Dara’s office upon hearing some commotion inside.

“What’s wrong noona?”

“Dara….She’s….Oh my god! She’s engaged!” Bom squealed, gaining the attention of everyone in their floor. Dara quickly apologized in behalf of Bom, ordering them to get back to work.

“No way noona.” Mino gawked at Dara. He was expecting this but nevertheless, he was still surprised.

Dara sheepishly nodded, stopping the giddiness she was feeling. It still feels surreal for her. Jiyong’s proposal was still beyond her. It was perfect.

“Kyaaaaaaaaaaa!” She wasn’t able to contain it. She squealed, and started jumping around with Bom. Mino laughed at his noonas acting crazily, and started taking their photos.

Ring….Ring…..

“Hello!” Dara stopped her celebratory dance, and answered her phone in a high pitched voice.

“Wow, you’re that enthusiastic answering huh. I guess my daughter is really getting married.” Her mother teased.

“You knew?” She asked since she haven’t told it to anyone yet. Maybe except for Seungri, who was with them yesterday, and Bom and Mino, who just found out minutes ago.

“Are you going to hide it from us? You idiot. Of course, we know. Jiyong asked for your hands first from us.”

“He did that?” Dara replied, surprised. “God, I love that man.” She thought.

Sensing that their conversation will take long, Bom and Mino waved goodbye to Dara.

Dara was smiling widely while recalling to her mother how Jiyong proposed. Jisoo eventually joined in, telling how much she envy her sister to found someone like Jiyong. Though Jisoo and Jiyong always banter, they were really close just like Hanbin to Dara.

They were about to end the call when Dara remembered the question she’s been wanting to ask for some time now.

“Mom, remember that time Jiyong and I visit you there in Busan.”

“I went in the attic and found an old blue diary. Do you know who the owner is?”

“Oh, the diary!” Her mom replied, remembering it.

“It was your great grandmother’s.”

“What’s her name?” She asked again. There was a long pause before her mother replied, “Sorry Dara. I can’t remember. I didn’t meet her personally since she died even before I was born so I was never curious. You should ask your grandmother about it.”

 

 

“Babe, I found a diary. It was my great grandmother’s.” Dara told Jiyong while he was playing with the loose hairs dangling on her face.

“What’s written on it?”

“It was her love story. She wrote it with so much details, I can imagine it.” Dara continued, recalling the things she read. She wanted to tell him how similar her great grandmother’s memories with theirs but decided not to, assuring herself they were all just coincidence. Too much coincidence.

“It must be beautiful.” Jiyong replied, bringing their entwined hands in his lips, kissing Dara’s fingers.

“Mmmmm. So much.”

“I haven’t read her last entry. Wait, I’ll get it.” She wanted to deny it but she surely felt the connection. She wanted to know more about her great grandparent’s love story. She thought that maybe she could have a glimpse of what her and Jiyong’s future will look like.

 

    May 13, 1910

I have so many questions. I’m trying my best to seek for answers because I know this is not how it’s supposed to be. We are so much in love. But why should it be us? Can’t they see how happy and contented we are? I’m confused. What did we do wrong? Is it wrong to fall in love with the right man? Perhaps, it’s not the right time? But, that should be out of context. If it wasn’t you I’m going to be with, I’d rather be alone, live alone, and die alone. What’s the reason for me to live if you weren’t there anymore? This is killing me. I miss you so much.

 

Her hands were already trembling but she managed to force herself to flip to the next page.

 

We may not be destined together in this life, but I know in the next lives we have, we will.

Let’s meet again. I love you always.

 

“It wasn’t my great grandfather.” Dara barely whispered.

“Babe?”

“Her love story, it’s not with my great grandfather.”

It pained her deeply.

Not because it was not her great grandparent’s but because it was not how she envisioned such great love story to end. She felt like she has been stabbed, like she felt how miserable it.

She didn’t notice she was already bawling her eyes out, Jiyong cooing her with his hugs.

“Babe, why? Why does it hurt so much? Why should they end that way?” Dara mumbled in between her sobs.

The love in the diary, it all started beautifully. But the ending, it's not what she envisioned it to be. It was hard for her to accept it because she was scared. Scared that her future with Jiyong will end the same way. She won’t allow it.

“Shhhhh Dara. It’s okay. I’m here.” Jiyong continued hugging her, wiping her tears, giving her little kisses.

“Please don’t ever leave me. I won’t be able to take it.” Dara pleaded him, tightening her hold on him as if he will vanish anytime.

“I won’t babe. I’m always here.”