Vows

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

Aisles and columns were beautifully adorned with daisies and sunflowers, white silks were draping along the seats. All their relatives and closest friends were present, busily chatting and taking photos. A melodious tune resonating fluidly on every corner of the church.

Dara was wearing a long, sabrina wedding gown, small beads were sewn with much sophistication. Her beauty was enticingly glowing, stunning everyone despite the veil covering her face. She was walking elegantly, like a goddess walking down from heaven. Waiting for her was Jiyong, clad in a black classic suit, his hair sleekly styled, eyes twinkling paired with his boyish grin, his posture standing so proudly and manly, a definition of handsome groom excited to hold his future wife. Another magical moment for them.

All eyes were on the couple. Everyone was smiling, finally seeing the couple they were fond of, tied their knot.

 

Everyone, not only from their school but the whole town, knew about them. They were the couple whom everyone treasures so dearly. They made their town believes that fairy tale really does exist. They are the epitome of innocent and pure love. Everyone was rooting from them. They were like the royal couple of the town despite their young age.

 

Their vows were not those which consist of flowery words, theirs was just full of sincerity. It was simple yet meaningful and powerful. It was definitely a promise.

“Dara, I can still remember the first time I saw you. I’m sure this is cliché but I’ll say it anyway. That moment, you took my breath away. When I started to know more about you, I wasn’t able to control my feelings. Everything you do, I find it so endearing. And just like that I realized I’ve already fell for you so so bad, I don’t even dare to escape. You’re the reason why I live, babe. I promise, I will not only be your husband, I will also be your bestfriend, your protector, your punching bag, your clown. Name it, I’ll do it. I just want to always see you happy. For sure, there would be times that we will have misunderstandings and fights. But I want you to always remember our happy times and not give up. And you know we can’t ever give up, Seungri won’t allow us. I will always be here for you no matter what. I will always love you Dara.”

 

He observed the girl beside him who was smiling and bobbing her head along with the music. She started spinning around their entwined hands, imitating those who were dancing with their fancy costumes. He promised himself he will do everything just to see her always this happy.

 

“Remember. I love you always. No matter what happens, just remember all our memories, our happy times. When you feel like you can’t breathe and wanted to give up, I’ll always be here.” He continued, pointing at my chest where my heart is located. ”I will give you all the strength you needed and I will always look after you. Be happy.” Hearing those gives me the assurance that he will never leave me. It was weird since he’s not really the person who gives me the sweet talks, but nevertheless I like it. Happy? Of course, I will be, he’s my source of happiness, and he’s already with me so nothing I should worry about.

 

                “I love you. I will always find my way to you.”

 

“Jiyong, can you still remember when you confessed to me with a song? I know we were still teens that time but that exact moment I’ve already claimed to the world, ‘I will marry this man and build a family with him’. I know my thinking was way too advance but look at us now. We’re starting a new chapter of our lives together. And remember your proposal, you told me grandma asked how you would feel if you didn’t meet me. Don’t worry babe, I will find you. That’s a promise. My future, you will always be there with me. I want to see your face first thing when I wake up, and last thing before I go to sleep. I want to hold your hands, cuddle with you, and create more memories. I promise to give you hugs and kisses everyday. I promise to be there for you in ups and downs. I promise to take care of you and our future kids. I promise to trust and stay with you. I love you Jiyong, forever.”

 

                 “It would be great having a family with you.” he whispered while hugging me from behind.

                “You will be having a family with me, that’s final.” I turned around, facing him.

               “That possessive?” He chuckled. Well, I can’t really envision my life without him. Whenever I look at my future, he was always there. He should be there. I nodded my head, grinning at him.

                “I hope we will last forever.”

                “We will.” I replied with so much conviction.

 

 “I promise I will wake up early so you won’t wait too long every morning. I promise I will not disturb your sleep anymore. I will follow your request, I will hug you more often now. I regret   not doing it. Now, who would engulf me with those strong arms? My hands, these hands, they belong to yours. But now, it has lost its meaning. It felt empty, not having your hands   entwined with it.”

“I miss you so bad. This is unfair, but I guess our destiny has another plan for us. Thank you for everything. I promise on our next lives, I will find you. I’ll make sure we’ll be together until our last breath. Wait for me. I love you always.”

 

“Mom, finally, it happened. Your other happy ending. I know you’re happy up there. You’re right, there’s really a next life.” An old woman whispered as she stared dearly at the couple who was sealing their love.

 

 

One by one, guests started filling up the reception. The newly wedded couple were greeting them in all smiles, thankful for sharing that special moment with them.

“Babe, let’s go to your grandma.” Jiyong told his now wife.

“I’m glad you made it.” Dara quickly hugged the old woman when they reached her.

“I was waiting for this for so long.” She replied gleefully.

“Thank you grandma!” Jiyong bowed down.

“About?”

“For making me realize that I should not waste my time, and that I should make the woman of my dreams my wife, my other half.”

“Babe, can you stop.” Dara laughed at his husband’s response.

“Why? I’m serious.”

“Fine. Thank you grandma for making him realize that he have no choice but to be stuck with me. Actually, I was planning to propose to him instead just in case he will never ask me.” Jiyong laughed this time. “By the way grandma, what’s the name of your mother?” She asked randomly, remembering it all of a sudden.

“Dara. Sandara.” Dara became stiff. The old woman’s reply sent shivers to her whole body.

“I named you after her.” She smiled. “Why did you ask?”

“Uhmmmm. I read her diary.” That gained the attention of the old woman. She didn’t know her mother’s diary was still alive. She thought it was already lost or thrown since it’s been decades since she last saw it.

“How was it?” The old woman asked knowingly.

“I know I shouldn’t feel this way. I should be rooting her with great grandpa but it hurts me so much. It’s tragic. I was wishing for a happy ending.” A wave of sadness engulfing her. It still pinches her heart whenever she thinks about it.

“She cried so much.” Jiyong added.

“It’s okay to feel that way, my dear. It’s also what I felt. But mom never cheated on dad. She truly loved dad. I saw how happy they were. What you read, it was a part of mom’s life, Dara’s past, and we could never change it. They explained it to me. Dad told me that he understood that he will never be mom’s first love but he will always be her last love. And mom, she told me she will always love dad but a part of her will be forever with her first love.”

“The happy memories you read in the diary, it was wonderful. But I also find my parent’s love story wonderful. They were different but it didn’t make any of the two less wonderful.” The old woman tried to assure. The love story of her mother and her first love, some will find it tragic but for her it never was, it was admirable and one of a kind. She believes at what her mother said, ‘in their next lives they will find each other again and will continue their love story’. And today, she witnessed it.

The old woman was waiting for Dara to ask another question but she didn’t, making her wonder. She was sure Dara even Jiyong will have endless questions if they saw it.

“Have you finished reading it?”

“Yes. I can clearly remember the exact words. - 'We may not be destined together in this life, but I know in the next lives we have, we will. Let’s meet again. I love you always.’'

“Look closer dear, you might have missed something.” Her grandmother smiled. Dara looked at her curiously, she was sure she has read the entire diary.

The old woman then urged Jiyong to come near her. She raised her hand, caressing his face, “Mom was right. You’re indeed a fine-looking man. No wonder she falls in love with you.” Jiyong and Dara looked at her curiously, puzzled on what she was saying.

“Thank you for finding Dara. Thank you that you meet again. Take care of her.” Her words, they were strange. The couple stared at each other, they sure know there’s something more from her words.

“May I please get the attention of everyone. The groom and bride, please go back to your seats.” A voice said on the microphone. Jiyong and Dara bowed to the old woman before excusing themselves.

“I am Lee Seungri, Jiyong hyung and Dara noona’s bestfriend slash servant slash cupid. I want to congratulate the both you with my little gift. Before I forgot, I’m also their resident collector of memories. Congrats again hyung and noona. I love you both. Enjoy watching.”

The venue dimmed, and a video starts flashing in the huge screen.

They were Jiyong and Dara’s memories. All those times, Seungri always sneaked on the couple, capturing their moments candidly. 

When they were still in highschool, playing around the fields. When they celebrated their first anniversary. When they threw a surprise party on their birthdays. When they found out they both passed Seoul University. When they graduated. When they first moved in together. When they danced in the club in Hongdae. When they kissed in the park in Han River. When Jiyong proposed to her. When they finally shared their vows a while ago.

All screams the same thing, they were always lost in their own little world.