Strawberries

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

“Annyeong noona!” Mino greeted Dara when he saw her going down from Jiyong’s car.

“Good morning!” Dara patted his head. Among the employees, other than Bom, Mino was the closest to her. She saw him as her little brother.

While passing by the main entrance, she noticed the young man’s talent in dancing. He was doing his moves effortlessly with his earphone attached on his right ear.

“Your dancing is good.”

“No, noona. It’s because this song is really really good. It makes you wanna dance.” He offered his left earphone, urging her to listen. She chuckled when she heard the song. “Why? It’s good, right?”

“Are you a fan of him?”

He nodded excitedly like the person she was talking about is his hero, “I love all his songs. It’s very unique, uniquely good, the lyrics are so relatable, and the melodies are always addicting.”

“I want to be like him in the future.”

“Then why did you become an engineer?”

“I want to be a musician and an engineer.” He clarified. “I wonder where he gets his inspiration.”

Dara tried to stifle her laughter but Mino already noticed it.

“Yah noona. Stop making fun of him.”

“Alright. I’ll stop.”

“I wonder who’s the man behind that name.”  

When they reached their floor, Mino proceeded to his table. Dara followed him with her eyes, amused with what he said. She didn’t know Jiyong has that effect to people. It made her proud that her boyfriend was able to inspire them with his music.

“Babe, favor please. Please sign me one of your CDs. I’ll give it to someone.” Dara messaged Jiyong. 

 

 

While Jiyong was waiting for Dara’s call so he could pick her up, he decided to hang out in the studio to pass his time. Joining him were Seungri and Seunghyun. Seungri has his own office but he prefers on staying in the studio to pester the guy. While for Seunghyun, it was his hiding place away from cameras.

“Maknae, buy us some chicken.” Seunghyun instructed Seungri but he was too immersed on the book he was reading to even hear his hyung’s voice.

“Seungri!” Seunghyun shouted, annoyed. But he still got no response.

“Hyung, leave him alone. You won’t be able to disturb him. It’s his favorite author.” Jiyong tried to explain while he writes some lyrics.

“Is that where he gets his directing ideas?” Seunghyun asked. Though he treats Seungri badly, he really admires him when it comes to his works. Many writers, actors, and tv stations were trying and waiting so they could work with Seungri, and yes, he’s no exception. That’s why when he found out that Seungri is bestfriends with Jiyong, he was very excited, thinking that maybe their connection would let him work with him. Much to his wish satisfaction, they were really able to work together.

“I don’t interfere with his work.” Jiyong replied casually.

“LEE SEUNGRI!” Seunghyun shouted again, much louder this time. He doesn’t care if he was disturbing the maknae, what’s important for him was to feed his hungry stomach.

“What?” Seungri scowled, throwing the pillow resting under his head.

“Get us some chicken.”

“Yah, hyung! I’m already Jiyong and Dara’s servant. Find your own servant.”

Jiyong was trying to concentrate on what he was doing but the continuous bickering of his companions won’t allow him. He decided to stop and just get himself entertained with their little scene.

“Babe, pick me up in one hour. Don’t forget the CD.” Dara suddenly messaged.

“Okay. I love you!”

“Love you too!”

He looked again at the two bickering man, and realizing that both of them won’t dare to go out, he decided to buy the food himself.

He took his time, walking along the streets, humming random tunes. The night was giving him the shivers because of its cold breeze but he felt good with it. “It would be nice walking with Dara now.” He thought to himself.

After buying the food, he was walking back when a store across the street caught his attention. It’s Dara’s favorite – strawberries. Jiyong smiled, determined to get some for her.

He was walking towards the store when blinding lights blocked his line of sight.

“Hyung!”

Jiyong was in dazed.

“Jiyong!”

“Hyung!”

“Yah, you scared me.” His face shocked.

“What’s with the flashlight?”

“You suddenly went missing so we went to find you.” Seunghyun told him but that didn’t answer his question.

“So what’s with the flashlight?” He asked again. Seunghyun pointed at Seungri who was still playing with the switch of the light he was holding.

“It will help me and Seunghyun hyung to find you. And look it helped us. We find you.” Seungri grinned at their stupefied faces. Jiyong lightly punched his stomach from annoyance before proceeding on buying the strawberries.

 

 

“Hyung, long time no see!” Mino greeted the newly arrived man. “Jiyong!” Bom waved as well.

“Have you eaten?” Dara asked him as he settled himself on the seat beside her.

“Hmmmm.”

“I’ll just finish this quickly.”

“I’m okay. We can stay longer.” Jiyong smiled at her.

“Let’s get some dessert after this.” Dara requested but Jiyong shook his head. Dara pouted disappointedly to which Jiyong quickly gave a peck. “I bought you some strawberries.” He whispered, making the girl excited.

Dara’s co-workers were already gawking at them and their display of affection. They have seen Jiyong a few times before since he always drops and picks Dara from their office, but the scene infront of them was new. It was their first time seeing their manager act like this, well except for Mino and Bom.

“The show’s over guys.” Bom clapped her hands, shifting everyone’s attention to her. Being friends with Dara since college, she already had enough dose of how touchy and cheesy the couple was.

“What show?” Dara asked cluelessly. Her reply made Bom sighed while Mino chuckled.

After staying for a couple of minutes, Jiyong and Dara were saying their goodbyes. Mino and Bom followed to send them to their car.

“Thank you for the treat Dara.”

“You all deserved it. Thank you for working hard.” Mino and Bom bowed at them.

“Dara, the CD.” Jiyong whispered at her. Remembering it, Dara ushered Mino to come to her.

“Here. It’s my early birthday gift.” Mino curiously opened the paper bag. He stared at the gift for a long time, his shocked reaction pleased the couple.

“How?” He was looking at them wide eyed, his mouth hanging open. He didn’t know how to react. He was a big fan of the artist but he never thought in his whole life he would get a signed CD. Not just him but no one will ever think about it.

“That’s the first autograph he gave.” Jiyong smiled at him, making Mino more surprised, trying his best to prevent his tears on falling.

“Are you crying?” Dara laughed at him.

“Noona, I’m just so happy. Thank you so much.” He finally bawled his eyes out, hugging her. The couple continued laughing, seeing how he was acting.

“Do you know him? Tell him, he’s my idol. I will follow his footsteps in creating good music.” Mino told them while calming himself down and wiping his tears.

“I’m sure he would be happy if he could hear your music someday.” Jiyong assured him, tapping his back.

“I’ll see you on Monday. Goodnight.” Dara told him as she and Jiyong got inside their car.

 

 

“Hanbin is calling.”

“Why is my brother calling you?” Jiyong asked confusedly.

“Hello.” Dara answered, putting her phone on loudspeaker.

“Noona, sorry I called you. Hyung is not picking up his phone.” Dara looked at Jiyong.

"He's driving." Jiyong got his phone from his pocket, giving it to her. “Empty battery too.” She added upon checking.

“Do you need anything?” Jiyong asked his brother.

“Where are you?”

“We’re going home already.”

“Can you go faster? I’m outside your house.”

“Why are you there? I thought you’re having your vacation back home.” Jiyong asked. Hanbin told him that during the school break, he will go back to their house in Busan instead of staying in the dorm.

“I will meet a friend tomorrow. I’ll go home on Monday.”

“Why didn’t you tell me in advance?”

“Hyung, can you just drive faster?” The man on the other line begged, tired from answering his hyung’s questions.

“Hanbin, go to Seungri’s house first. You know where it is, right?” Dara instructed.

“I already went there but there’s no one. I called him. He told me he was still in the studio with Seunghyun hyung.”

“Wait a little more. Do you want anything?”

“Just go home quickly, noona.” He pleaded again.

 

Hanbin waited, and the moment he heard the elevator. He quickly dashed towards them, grabbing Jiyong to the door. “Hyung, faster. I want to pee.” Jiyong laughed at the state of his brother, and decided to by slowing down all his actions.

“Hyung!” Hanbin cried, holding his pants tightly.

“Babe, open it.” Dara chuckled.

“Who’s the friend you are talking about?” Jiyong asked when Hanbin emerged from the bathroom. Dara also went out from the kitchen with some strawberries in a bowl, putting it on the table in the living room. She sat beside Jiyong while Hanbin preferred sitting on the floor.

“He’s two years my senior. We went to the same highschool back in Busan.” He replied, placing the fruit in his mouth.

“What are you two going to do tomorrow?”

“It’s weekend so he’s free. We’ll be making some music. He’s great, hyung. You will like him.”

“Of course, I will like him more than I like you.” Hanbin glared at his brother before focusing his attention back to the strawberries.

“Noona, listen to some of my tracks later and give some comments.” Hanbin shifted his attention towards Dara. Aside from his hyung, it was Dara who always helps him with his music. And honestly, he’s convinced that his Dara noona was also musically gifted like his hyung.

 

“I don’t think this will work out. We need them.” The man added, his frustration on getting the correct tune continuously piling up. His two companions nodded, knowing what he just said was right. They felt weird, everyday the couple would be the ones leading them, giving their ideas and comments to each one’s works. They were not called musical geniuses for nothing.

 

“Okay, let’s hear it later. Your friend, what does he do?”

“My friend? He’s an engineer now. I think he’s working in the same company as yours noona.” That perked up Dara’s attention. She’s sure she will know the guy. She isn’t Sandara Park if she hasn’t talk to everyone in their company.

“His name is Mino.” Hanbin opened his phone, showing them his photo.

“Your friend is Mino?”

“Babe, I can already see my two mini-me.” Jiyong whispered at Dara, laughing.

“Are you threatened?”

Jiyong shook his head with her question.

“Good. You’re still the best of the best.” Dara grinned.

Hanbin spit the strawberry he was eating after hearing their flirting. That’s the main reason why he decided to live in a dorm instead of staying with his hyung and noona while attending college in Seoul; he couldn’t take it seeing that kind of scene every single day.

Dara noticed what Hanbin just did, “Does it taste bad?”

“Yah, I chose the reddest ones.” Jiyong defended himself.

“So?” Hanbin looked at his brother weirdly.

“The reddest are the sweetest. And my girlfriend deserves nothing but the sweetest.” Dara slapped Jiyong, preventing her giddy smiles from showing but was obviously failing.

               

                “Help me choose the reddest.”

                “Why hyung? Just pick anything, it would still taste the same.”

                “Because red is the color of love.”

 

“Just get a room you two.” Hanbin cringed, shoving another strawberry in his mouth.