The Witness

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

“Where’s Seungri?” Dara asked Jiyong. He looked around, and waved when Seungri entered the hall again. Seungri approached them, seeing only the back of the old man.

“Sir, this is our bestfriend we told you about, Seungri.” Jiyong introduced him to the old man.

“It was nice to meet you sir. Hyung and noona, told me a lot about you.” Seungri extended his arm, asking for a handshake. The old man was too shocked to even utter a word or lift his hand. Destiny was really playing with them well. When he thought seeing the next lives of his favorite hyung and noona was his last surprise before he dies. He was definitely wrong. The man greeting him, with those dark circles under his eyes and cheerful aura, he knew that person so much. He was him.

Sensing that the old man has no intention on lifting his arm, Seungri did the work himself, grabbing the old man’s hand, shaking it nonstop. “You must be really great Mr. Kwon to share the same name with me.” Seungri joked.

Jiyong and Dara were smiling ears to ears, watching them closely. They thought at first that it was just coincidence that the past Jiyong’s brother, and their bestfriend has the same name but when they saw their photos. Their Seungri has exactly the same face with the man in the photo, Mr. Kwon Seungri. But they keep mum about it, wanting to wait for this day to come.

“Sorry sir. He really likes joking around.” Jiyong apologized. The old man was observing their behavior, then he smiled. He can see his hyung and him to the present Jiyong and Seungri. Those times when he made the usual kid troubles, and his hyung will always be the one apologizing for it. Those times when he and his hyung would play around, and teased his noona and Minzy. If only he could turn back time.

“I’m an avid fan of yours, sir.” Seungri excitedly told the old man, remembering the day he knew about him.

 

“Let’s play hide and seek!” Jisoo told Dara and Seungri.

“Your idea so you’ll be the one finding us.”

“Why oppa!” Jisoo shouted, annoyed.

“Jisoo, turn around.” Dara instructed her sister. Seungri and Dara ran to search for a hiding place. Seungri found himself up in the attic of the sisters’ house.

“Wow, I didn’t know they have many books up here.” Seungri scanned the cabinet, forgetting that he was supposed to hide. But what caught his interest was that they were all written by the same author.

“Kwon Park?”

“I’m near you.” He suddenly heard Jisoo’s voice from below. He quickly got the smallest book, and tucked it on his short’s waistband.

 

“They told me about it. Don’t worry sir, your identity is safe with me.”

 

 

“Son, will you come with me?” The old man asked Seungri which took the latter by surprise but still followed. Before they were introduced, Seungri found it funny when Jiyong told him the real name of his well-respected author. But just a while ago, when he finally met him in person, he was beyond shock. He didn’t show it to them, but he was sure he looks like he was staring at a mirror except for the fact that the old man has wrinkles, loose skin, and white hair.

The old man started walking, and stopped on one of his brother’s works. The same work which Jiyong and Dara claimed as their favorite. Seungri silently read them, his eyes twinkling with fondness.

“He’s so inlove.” He said his thought in a whisper but the old man managed to hear it, making him smile.

“He is. Very much.” The old man replied. They keep their silence, still marveling on the poem hanging on the wall. Then, Seungri started to chuckle, earning the curiosity of the old man beside him.

“Sorry sir. I just remembered something. It’s like a déjà vu. ‘He’s so inlove.’ Those words are the exact thing I said when I heard hyung’s song for noona.” He chuckled again.

 

“He’s so inlove.” Those were the only words Seungri could mutter after hearing Jiyong’s song for Dara. Though it wasn’t for him, Seungri felt all the emotions poured into the song.

 

“You mean, that Jiyong and Dara?” The old man asked, pointing at the couple staring infront of another poem, to which Seungri nodded. The old man can’t still believe the fact that the story of his hyung and noona will really live until now. He can’t help but be amazed with their fates. These people whom he just met, Seungri, Jiyong and Dara, they shared the same lives with him and his favorite couple.

“Lee Seungri, right?” Seungri nodded again. “Did you know, I don’t really believe in next life though my hyung and noona always say it exists. Not the Jiyong and Dara here but the Jiyong and Dara in my life.” The old man explained as he might get his mini me confused. “No worries sir, my hyung and noona already explained it to me.” He assured him. “But when I met the present Jiyong and Dara, your hyung and noona, I instantly believe in it. They were just so alike with my hyung and noona. And hearing their love story, I’m more than sure that if things just didn’t happen way back then my hyung and noona would have the same fate as your hyung and noona, they will also build a happy family. But it really doesn’t matter that they didn’t end together because I know, the people around us all know, and that on that span of time that they were together, it was nothing but contentment.”

“I, myself, is not a believer of next life not until I heard the story of my bestfriends.” Seungri agreed.

“I thought I’m already done with these surprises. But when I saw you, I saw myself. You look just like me when I was younger. If you’re siblings with Jiyong, I really don’t know how will I react.” The old man laughed.

He wanted to talk to Seungri because he knows there’s still more to him other than them sharing the same name and face. Knowing that he was bestfriends with Jiyong and Dara, he wanted to know how his next life witnessed the story of his present hyung and noona. He’s an author with years of experience but with everything that’s happening, he thinks a greater novel could be written.

Seungri started recalling stories, how he has known Dara since birth, how he introduced the two, how uncertain they were on their feelings for each other though it’s very obvious, how Jiyong confessed, how they started dating, how they end up having some petty fights, and so on.

The old man has a glimpse of his hyung and noona’s next lives. There are times when he would chuckle, remembering some memories which were very similar to the past Jiyong and Dara. But what caught the old man’s attention is Seungri’s next words.

“Currently, I’m a director by profession. But you know what sir, the reason why I pursue this career is because of hyung and noona. During my 16th birthday, they gave me a video camera. I have no idea on how to use it so I just always bring it in my bag. The two were already dating at that time, and I don’t mind being left alone when they started to have their own little world. I mean I’m with them, but I gave them private time. I’m their cupid anyways. One time, we went to our usual hangout place. I was just lying there reading one of your novels. When I glanced at them, the looks in their faces attracted my attention. Though I’m always with them, I don’t really pay attention when they act sweet with each other except for that time. I can still perfectly remember it. The sun was already about to set down but the rays are still strong enough to brighten the glow springing from hyung and noona’s faces. They were playing around the field, holding each other hands. They were looking at each other’s eyes, laughing. The scene was just so beautiful for me. I wanted to keep that moment for the both of them so for the first time I decided to use the video camera. After that, they’ve become the subject of all my videos. I want to capture all their memories. I guess you can say they were my muse. Their love for each other is my muse.”

My muse.” The old man repeated Seungri’s words.

His hyung and noona’s love is also his muse. He gained the respect of thousands of readers from his works because they were inspired by his muse. The young man beside him with the same name and face as he is, is indeed his next life. It overwhelms him but he was very thankful that in his next life he still witnessed Jiyong and Dara’s undying love.