Missing You

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

Endless clicking of mouse and typing of keyboard echoed the floor of engineering department. They were all working double time to finish all their tasks for the day, failing to do so will trigger their manager to show her infamous wrath. Their manager, who goes by the name of Sandara Park, is definitely younger than almost all of them but that did not change the fact that she deserves the position, knowing how smart and good she was. They all adore her, she was the cute little sister they all wanted to have but that differs when it’s about work.

Bom decided to trespass her friend slash boss’ office. Their work was already making her crazier on top of how crazy she normally is. “Dara, will you rest! Stop stressing yourself. Look at those people. Look at me.” She whined. Dara followed her friend’s gaze, and saw all her employees’ faces contorted into different shapes. She suddenly felt guilty, but what could she do? If she does not push them, they will be behind their target dates and KPI.

“I’ll just treat you all dinner next time. Sorry Bom! You know how I am when it comes to work.” Dara reasoned out, sighing. Her friend just hugged her before going back to her table.

They have already skipped lunch, and now they were all sure they needed to do some overtime. They were all exhausted but they wanted to get this particular project. Dara glanced outside her office’s window, looking at the people glued with their computers’ screens. She can’t help but feel sorry, they should be having their rest time or family time already but they were stuck in the building, working.

She pondered for a moment then went out of her office, calling the attention of everyone.

“Guys, you can all go home now.”

“But we’re not yet done.” They replied back in unison. Their manager’s words were like a dream come true. They were all tempted to just leave everything behind, and go home. But they need to do this. Shortly, their attention was back on their own businesses, leaving Dara neglected and annoyed.

“YAH! I TOLD ALL OF YOU TO GO HOME!”

That did it. Who cares if they don’t finish their job tonight, they were more afraid to fuming Dara. They all scampered their way out, leaving their manager and Bom behind.

“Bom, you should go home too.”

“Of course, I’ll go home. God, I was waiting all this time for you to shoo us away. Where’s your bag? Let’s go.” Bom glared at her.

“You should go first. I’ll just finish something.” She reasoned out. But that something was about finishing all the works left for the day. She was too worried for her employees, she would rather do it on her own. She doesn’t have anything to do at home so might as well work. Bom wanted to argue because she knows what Dara was planning but she was too tired already, all her energy was already drained to even convince the stubbornness of her friend.

After Dara filled her stomach with an instant ramen, her first meal of the day, she stretched a bit before proceeding back to work. She bet it would take her all night to finish.

At around two in the morning, Dara finally finished everything. What she only wanted to do was to sleep. But with her current state, she was sure she can’t drive her car. She would just end up with an accident. During these times, she would usually call her boyfriend but today was not her luck, his work sent him overseas. That left her on her next best option.

She picked up her phone, and started dialing his number. The current time was not a problem. She knew, she could always count on him.

“Seungri!”

“Noona, why?” The voice on the other line groggily asked, obviously being awaken in the middle of his sleep.

“Please pick me up. I’m still at the office.”

“Okay noona. Be right there.” Seungri hanged up. If she didn’t knew the man since birth and if she didn’t saw how he always adore her relationship with her boyfriend, she would really think he has a thing for her.

 

“Hyung, can you remind me again why I became an architect when I’m already rich from all the songs I wrote.” Jiyong slumped his body on one of the couches in Seunghyun’s hotel room. It was already six in the morning when he finished his work but instead of going back to his own room, he decided to annoy his cousin who tagged along with his business trip. He was too stressed with the amount of work he’s doing, and there’s only one way to relax himself – his girlfriend. But he received a message from her that she just also got home. He doesn’t want to disturb her sleep so that leave him in his cousin’s room.

Jiyong’s family are known for their great contributions to arts, literature, and entertainment industry in Korea. That includes Seunghyun, one of Korea’s top actors. Jiyong is no exception, aside from his career in architecture, he is also a well-known composer, producer, and singer. Not as Jiyong but under his pen name.

“Because you wanted to build your girlfriend and your future family, the best home in the whole wide world.” Seunghyun replied flatly as if he’s been operated to say that line everytime Jiyong asked that same question. He was questioning himself why he decided to come along when what he needed is rest but the man sprawled infront of him was clearly disturbing it.

“Hyung, I miss her.” Jiyong whined. It has only been two days but not seeing her was already making him insane. He was not used to this kind of set-up. Back in Korea, they were often busy with their jobs but they always made sure to have time for each other.

 

 

With only two hours of sleep, Dara woke up with an intense headache. “Babe, please get me some medicine.” She mumbled. When there was no response, she reached for the space beside her, “Aishhhh! I forgot he has some business trip.” She tried to endure the pain, and dragged herself out of bed to prepare for work.

“Good morning!” She greeted the employees when she arrived, looking like a walking zombie with her state.

Mino went beside her, grabbing and carrying some of her things, “Noona, you shouldn’t have let us go home. We could have help you last night.” When they arrived in the office, they noticed that last night’s leftover works were all done, and they have only one person in mind who would do all that. Dara just smiled at him, proceeding to her office.

She was still in dazed from lack of sleep and headache when her phone rang. “Good morning babe.” The voice on the other line welcomed her.

“Morning. Babe, I’m having a headache.” She whined, stomping her feet in the process. Mino, who was still in her office, making her some cup of tea chuckled at the scene he was witnessing. The manager whom they were all scared of becomes whiny and childish when it comes to her boyfriend. He placed the cup of tea in her table, and bowed down, signaling her that he will go back to his table. Dara smiled at him with her phone still attached to her ear.

“Did you take a medicine?” The man on her phone asked, his voice laced with worry. He should be taking care of her but it will take another two days before he could finally go home.

“We ran out of it.”

“Where are you?”

“Office.”

“You should have call in a sick leave and rest at home.”

“There’s too many work.”

“Aigoooo. Don’t push yourself too much. And have some rest in between.”

“Mmmmm. I’ll see you soon.” Then, they hanged up.

“God, I miss him! Does one week really that long?”

“If he was here, I’m sure he wouldn’t let me go to work. He will even insist on staying with me instead of going to his work.”

“I shouldn’t think about him, I’m just missing him more. Work, Dara, work.”

Dara was still busy talking to herself when Bom knocked on her office. “Guess who’s here.” Bom peeked in between the glass door.

“My boyfriend?” Dara guessed with hopeful eyes though she knew it would be impossible.

“You’re hopeless. It’s Seungri.” Bom ushered the man inside before leaving.

“Hi noona!”

“Seungri, thank you for last night… I mean this morning.”

“I’m always a call away.” He grinned.

“What’s with the flowers?”

“It’s for you.” She looked at him weirdly. She squinted her eyes as she circled around him, tapping her chin.

“Okay. Stop.” Seungri grunted. Dara knew it, it was not from him. “He just called me, and told me to make sure you drink this medicine, but these flowers are really from me.” Dara stared at him longer, awaiting to change his statement but the latter was firm that it was really from him.

“Aigoooo. Fine. Thank you for this. Anyways, your hyung is such a worry wart, huh.”

“And I’m always the one who suffers from the both of you. Seriously, why do I always follow your commands? Did the both of you used some black magic on me?” He ranted while giving her the medicine and a bottle of water. Sometimes Dara and her boyfriend feel bad for him, but they knew Seungri can’t do anything about it.

“Stop making a fuss. It’s simple, you love us.”

“Love. Love. Love. Can you stop reasoning that to me? Look, I’ve seen all your cuddly and lovey dovey moments for so long now but how about me? I’m left being a single man.” Dara chuckled at his outburst, every single time he will always blame it on them.

“You did this to me, now I have high standards for love.” Seungri sighed loudly.

“Don’t blame it on us, blame it on the novels you were reading.”

“Don’t even drag those precious novels here. You should start reading his works so you could understand me. Those heartbreaks, those boundless love, their promises….” He defended dreamily. His praises continue just like how it always be whenever the same topic was brought up, completely ignoring Dara’s presence.