First Kiss

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

Dara was doing Jiyong’s tie, making sure her man would look neat and presentable. Jiyong, on the other hand was busy staring at her. She was clad in a black, strapless long gown. Her hair curled down, resting on her right shoulder. She was wearing a little make up, enhancing her natural beauty.

“You looked exceptionally stunning, babe.”

“You’re so cheesy, handsome Kwon.”

They were about to go to an event for the opening of the new museum being built at the center of Seoul art district when Jiyong received a call. “It’s from work. I’ll just get this.” Jiyong mouthed at her.

Though she felt uneasy, Dara picked up the diary while waiting for Jiyong. 

 

March 31, 1910

The blue swirly clouds were passing by, hiding the glare of the sun in the process. Different kinds of chirpings can be heard as those little creatures flew from one branch to another. Flowers were blooming at their ripest cycle. Our surrounding was painted with rich and vivid colors. We were laying on the grass with your arm as my pillow. It was indeed a beautiful afternoon just being with you. We were bathed in comfortable silence as if we didn’t sneak out from our usual band practice. After some time, you closed your eyes. I shifted my position so I could clearly marvel at how peaceful you looked. I’ve already said that it was a beautiful afternoon but that vanished in an instant, I pondered on myself, and I thought you are indeed more beautiful.

 

Flashbacks crawled to her as if she was the one who has wrote it.

She unconsciously touched her lips.

“My first kiss.”

 

It was the usual day in the university. Dara and Bom were doodling their notebooks while the professor was solving a dynamics problem on the board. On the other building, Jiyong was close on dozing off, hearing the history of architecture for the nth time. 

He wasn’t able to stop himself as he secretly escaped the auditorium.

“I’m outside your room.” Dara suddenly received a message from Jiyong. When she checked it, he was really there, waving his hands, signaling her to come out. She quietly exited the room, wondering what the man was doing there.

“Ji, what are you doing here? You have class.”

“Are you bored?” Dara glanced on the small window to check their room, and all she can see was her classmates whispering, doodling, or sleeping. She looked back at him, nodding her head as she pitied herself and her classmates.

“Let’s ditch our class.” Jiyong suggested. She started protesting but he was nowhere near on giving up.

“Do you want to go back there then?” He asked again. She imagined herself prisoned in that room for another two hours, and it was already killing her. She shook her head, too tired with all the classes she already attended since morning. Jiyong claimed her hand, dragging her along.

“Babe, my bag.”

“Just message Bom.”

Dara just followed, knowing she wanted to spend more time with him than just fall asleep in her class.

Jiyong brought them to the rooftop where the view of Seoul can be seen. Tall buildings with their unique design surrounded them. Faint sounds of students chatting, laughing, and playing were heard. A large mat was also laid on the floor, probably used by the school’s varsity team. Dara ran towards it, and immediately sprawled her body.

“This is life.” She sighed, staring at the clouds above them.

Jiyong joined her, fixing her position, making sure no space will be left between them. He closed his eyes, savoring their moment.

“Thank you.” Dara whispered while staring at him. Feeling her soft gaze, Jiyong opened his eyes, shifting himself so he could face her. They were drowned on each other’s eyes, penetrating into each other’s souls. He slowly closed the gap between their faces, their eyes automatically closed, and for the first time they shared their first kiss. It was a shy and gentle one but the feeling it brought to the couple was indescribable. After, he showered her face with small kisses.

It was indeed a beautiful and addicting feeling.

 

She tried imagining the flowers, the grass, the chirpings but what keeps on flashing on her was her own memory. Her memory with Jiyong when they sneaked from their classes, the rooftop, the student’s voices, the mat, the buildings, their first kiss.

Unknown to the owner of the diary, in that same memory, March 31, 1910, she also got her first kiss. Another parallel memory shared with Dara.

 

Feeling the steady breathing of the girl in his arms, he opened his eyes. Moments ago, he can feel her stares at him, he wonders what she was thinking. He stared at her before dipping down, capturing her lips softly. He chuckled, realizing what he just did. He just stole the first kiss of his lover, and it’s not what he envisioned it to be like.  When he read poems and stories describing what a kiss feels like, he has always doubt it. How lips being together could will give such feeling. But know he have answer. And yes, he has more doubts. What the books described can’t be compare on what he’s feeling. Her sweetness still lingering on his mouth. Her lips, it’s so soft, he felt like it’s so vulnerable. His heartbeat, he felt like he was having a serious heart problem from all the pounding and somersaults it’s creating. The time surely stops. Words could never fully explain what he just felt. But one thing he regret is that he did not share that magical moment with her. He wonders if she had felt it. He wonders if she was awake, will she feel the same thing as his. He promised, next time, Next time, he would let her experience it. He knew with that single kiss, it will be his drug, his addiction.

 

Ignoring the weird feeling she was having, she proceeded on flipping to the next page. She doesn’t know if she could handle it if the next entry would also be the same as one of hers and Jiyong’s but her curiosity was much stronger.

 

April 7, 1910

Under the night sky where the moonlight casts its brightness above us. I glanced at you. Your eyes were closed as you hummed again that song. Those small smiles you were giving is glistening among the darkness. It was enchanting. The way your arms are tightly secured on my waist. The way your body is giving me warmth from the coldness of the wind’s blowing. I can spend all my nights like this. This is where I belong. You’ve become my home.

 

“I knew it. I should not overthink.” Dara told herself. For the first time, she has no recollection of the scene written in the diary. She couldn’t admit it but at some point, before reading it, she wished it was another shared memory.

 “Babe, let’s go.” Jiyong shouted outside their bedroom. Dara put down the blue diary and left the room. Again, another parallel memory was disregarded.

 

 

“Aunt! Uncle!” Dara hugged Jiyong’s parents upon arriving.

“You’re gorgeous as always, dear.”

“Thank you! You looked good too, Uncle. You and Jiyong looked like brothers.” Dara complimented back. “Same with you Aunt, you’re looking much younger these days.”

“Dad and mom might believe you, stop it.”

“Stop being a spoil sport son.” Jiyong’s mom scowled at him.

“Hyung! Noona!” Another voice joined them, squeezing his body between the newly arrived couple.

“Why are you always present in our family events?” Jiyong elbowed him.

“Because, I, Lee Seungri is the adopted son of the Kwons. Right, uncle and aunt?” He proudly replied, transferring to the side of Jiyong’s parents, resting his arms on their shoulders.

“Didn’t you know, he’s already in our family registry.” His mom added, teasing Jiyong.

 

After conversing for some time, Jiyong and his parents excused themselves for a while so they could discuss things about the museum with the others, leaving Dara and Seungri behind.

On the other side of the venue, the other cousins, Seunghyun and Hanbin were also in the middle of chatting.

“Hyung, is acting hard?”

“It is. But if you have passion for it, it’s worth it.” Seunghyun explained to the young man, wondering what the sudden question is was all about. Hanbin is currently majoring in theater arts but Seunghyun thought he just took it out for fun. “His passion is with music. What’s with him? Maybe acting started to grow in him.” Seunghyun thought.

Hanbin, satisfied with his cousin’s answer, dragged themselves to Dara and Seungri.

“This is so boring.” Hanbin released his annoyance. He has been attending this kind of events since he was young but he still can’t get used to it. He prefers being trapped in his room, doing music than mingle with people he doesn’t know.

“Go with me later.” Seungri smirked at him.

“Yah, I know what you’re thinking. You can’t bring him unless we are there.” Dara’s protective side instinctively kicked in even if Hanbin was old enough to decide for himself. “I’m also in.” Seunghyun added.

“I think my fate is to be tied to all of you. God! Why are you guys clinging to me? I’m big now.” Hanbin whined.

“No, you’re still little.” Dara fired back.

“Fine.” He sighed defeatedly.

“You’ll let me play, right?” He turned to Seungri, pleading, to which he responded with a nod. “Thank you hyung! You’re my life saver in this world full of clingy people.”

“Watch your mouth kid.” Seunghyun hit his head.

“Favor. Can I bring my friend along?” He asked again. He must not waste this chance. He knew Seungri’s club is the hottest place nowadays, and it will be the best way to introduce their music to the public.

“Mino?” Dara guessed.

“Yes. I’ll call him now.” He excitedly replied.

“Seungri, be prepared. Your club will have its highest sales tonight.” Dara informed him, wiggling her brows.

“She’s right. I heard their demo song. It was sick!” Seunghyun praised Hanbin and Mino as well.

“But of course, Jiyong is far better.” Dara exclaimed. “I’m better too.” Seunghyun added again.

“Stop praising yourself too much.” She mocked him. He threw her his intimidating glare. “Stop looking at me like that. Your eyes are really creepy.”

“If only you’re not Jiyong’s girlfriend, I’ve already pounded you into little pieces through my stares.” He in his most serious voice, making her flinched. Seungri chuckled at the scene, he knew Seunghyun was just acting but his noona was already fearing for her life.

“What’s happening here?” Jiyong appeared on Dara’s side.

“Babe, your cousin is going to kill me.” She immediately reported, hiding behind his back. That made Seunghyun burst out into fits of laughter. “Seungri, did you see that? I’m really good at acting, huh.” He praised again himself. Realizing what just happened, Dara started attacking the laughing man with her pinches.

“Hyung, let’s go to my club later.” Seungri informed Jiyong while Dara and Seunghyun were still busy murdering each other. 

“What’s that again? Club? Is there any occasion?” Jiyong turned to Seungri, hugging Dara in the process to prevent her on doing any damage to his cousin.

“It’s Hanbin’s first gig.” Dara answered him instead, squealing. “He will be performing with Mino.”