Memories of Past Life

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

Jiyong and Dara tried their luck, and went to a little town in Jangsu despite being clueless on what they should look for. When they reached the plaza, Jiyong recognized the tower standing in the middle. He got the photo from his pocket, and noticed it was taken on that exact spot. 

While wandering around, a pair of eyes was following all their moves. The person felt strange upon seeing the two but he quickly disregarded the thought and went inside his shop.

“Let’s go there.” Dara pulled Jiyong after seeing the musical instruments store across the plaza.

“Aigooo, we’re here to find answers babe.”

“Please!” Dara pouted. Jiyong wasn’t able to protest, and just gave her a quick peck.

“Good morning!” The man in his fifties greeted the newly arrived customers. Jiyong and Dara looked around the store, sometimes trying some instruments. When they were about to leave, the man on the counter stopped them. “Excuse me.”

“Yes?”

“Have we met before?” Upon hearing this, Jiyong and Dara immediately went near, hoping the man could answer their questions. They showed him the photo and asked at the same time, “ Do you know someone with the names of Kwon Jiyong and Sandara Park?”

The man chuckled, realizing now where he saw the two. He found it very weird but he was sure the two were exactly those people he saw in the photo at their home.

“Would you mind waiting for me for till I close my shop? Maybe, around 3pm? I want to show you something.” Jiyong and Dara immediately complied, both praying that he’s the answer to their endless questions.

“We’ll be back, sir?”

“Mr. Kang.”

“We’ll be back Mr. Kang. We’ll just tour around the area. Thank you again.”

 

 

 “Hi Mr. Kang.” The couple arrived back just in time the store was being locked.

“You’re here. I thought you’re not coming back. By the way, I forgot to ask your names.”

“Sorry sir. I’m Jiyong and this is my wife, Dara.” Jiyong introduced themselves. Mr. Kang stared at them blankly, remembering hours ago when they were just asking if he knew people with that same names. “I might just be overthinking.” He told himself and dismissed again the weird thought.

“Come with me.” Jiyong and Dara followed him as they walked towards the residential area.

Mr. Kang stopped on one gate, two teenagers welcoming him, “Dad!”

“Where’s grandpa?”

“Second floor, playing guitar.”

“Come inside.” He ushered his guests inside the house. “I’ll just change clothes. I’ll be back.”

Left alone, the couple wandered around the living room. They assumed the family were all musicians, judging by the number of instruments scattered around. Jiyong got up from his seat, and looked at the old photos displayed in the cabinets.

A certain photo caught his attention, “Babe, come here.”

“You saw it.” Mr. Kang smiled.

“When I saw the both of you in the plaza, I’m sure I saw you somewhere but I can’t remember where so I decided to shrug the idea. When you entered my shop, something in me was forcing to ask you about it, that’s why I asked if we met somewhere. Then, you showed me the photo, that moment I knew where I saw you. It’s that photo.”

It was a photo of five teenagers in their uniform, probably friends. They were all smiling, each one holding a musical instrument. Among them are the past Jiyong and Dara.

“Who are we with?” Dara asked. Mr. Kang chuckled at her absurd question. How could they claim that they were the ones in the photo. Sure, they have the exact faces but the photo was taken during the 1900s.

“You mean those two whom you looked like?” He chuckled again. “It’s my grandfather with his other friends during their highschool days.”

“Now, come with me.”

They went up to the second floor, and saw a very old man, sitting on a rocking chair facing the large window, playing his guitar. 

“That’s my grandfather, he’s one of those you saw in the photo downstairs.”

“Grandpa. You’re playing it again.” They went near, Jiyong and Dara bowed down but the old man was looking nowhere straight at them.

“We have guests.” Mr. Kang informed but the old man’s eyes were set as if looking in a faraway place.

“Good afternoon Sir.” The couple said in unison.

“Jiyong? Dara?” The old man whispered, shocked with the voices he just heard. It’s been many years but he was very sure he recognized those.

“I’m Kwon Jiyong and this is my wife, Sandara.”

The old man can’t believe it. They were his friends. He brought his hands up, searching for them.

“He’s blind because of old age.” Mr. Kang explained. Understanding it, the two went closer. The old man immediately held their hands. “It’s me Kang Daesung, your friend.” He tried to control his shaking voice, his hold on them trembling.

Mr. Kang left them, seeing they have their own matters to talk about.

“I can’t see you but I’m sure of it. You’re my friends. But…. How could this happen?” The old man stuttered. “Jiyong, you’re….” He wasn’t able to continue, remembering the sadness and pain they 've felt and witnessed.

“I’m dead.” Jiyong whispered, entwining his other hand with Dara’s.

Jiyong and Dara told him about the diary. About their past lives. The old man didn’t question them because there’s only one thing that he has on mind, and for that he was thankful.

“I can tell you our times together.” He offered. Despite his very old age, his memories with them were still perfectly intact.

“I wish Youngbae and Chaerin are with us. We always envy the both of you.”

“Ahhhh, Jiyong and Dara, the kindest people we’ve met, the musical geniuses, the lovely couple.” He sadly smiled when he finished narrating their memories.

“We must be loved by many.” Jiyong joked to lighten up the mood.

“You are. Everyone in this town loves you, you’re our royal couple.” That left Jiyong and Dara thinking, just how great their love was in the past to deserve all those love and admiration.

“Thank you for finding each other. We have waited for so long to witness again your love story.” He may have many health problems now but he was glad he has lived this long to finally witness it. He may not see Jiyong and Dara with his own eyes but he can feel it. Their love, it will never falter.

“Sir, sorry if we’re taking too much of your time but can you share us more?”

“I’m afraid I’ve told you everything. If you just go back here earlier, maybe many of us are still living to recall it all for you.” The old man, however, was still in deep thought. He wanted to help them. “I know someone. He’s the perfect person you should go to. He would be more than happy to see you. If I have eagerly waited for you, I know he did it more.”

After their encounter with the old man, they were instructed to go back tomorrow morning so his grandson could accompany them.

 

 

DARA’s POV

“What we are doing, I feel like we are knowing more of ourselves.” Jiyong said while we were cuddled in bed for sleep.

It was true. I also felt the same. At first, this whole thing scares me but hearing our story, our past lives’ story, that fear instantly vanished. My admiration on what Jiyong and I have in the past keeps on growing.

“We already love music back then.” I added, nuzzling my face on his neck.

“No wonder, my past self already made a song for you.”

“Babe, who do you think is the man we’ll be seeing tomorrow?” I asked curiously.

“We’ll never know but I feel like he is very important.” Jiyong replied, kissing my forehead.

“Maybe, he’s the key.” I mumbled back. I have this strong feeling that we will have another glimpse of our past lives, more than what we’ve already knew.