Their Story

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

Jiyong and Dara arrived early in Mr. Kang’s house, after saying goodbye to Daesung, they went their way.

While walking, Mr. Kang met a colleague, stopping them on going to their destination for a moment. The two decided to wander around the area, making sure Mr. Kang could see them once he finished chatting with his friend.

“Hyung? Noona?” An old man gasped when he saw a couple walking hand in hand across the street. He squinted his eyes to make sure they were not just his hallucination. He had known them all his life to be mistaken. He wasted no time and walked briskly, neglecting the pain his knees were having.

Jiyong and Dara stopped on their tracks when an old man, maybe a little bit younger than Daesung, appeared before them. He was gawking at them as if not believing on what he was seeing.

“Hyung, noona” He whispered, his heart was pounding so fast, faster than he ever imagined. Standing infront of him is two important people in his life. It’s been so long since he last saw them, but it makes him wonder how come they still look the same just like in his memories. “Am I dying to see their souls?” He thought to himself.

“Excuse me sir? Do we know you?” But the old man was still too shock to react. He was not dying, it’s really them, just by hearing their voice.

“Babe, he might have mistaken us for someone.” Dara told her husband. “Sir, we should get going. We need to attend some things. We hope you have a nice day.” She smiled at the old man before they walk passed him.

“No, you’re my hyung and noona.” He informed them.

“Sir!” Mr. Kang suddenly shouted, grabbing their attention.

“Mr. Kang”

“What are you doing here? We’re about to go to your place.” Mr. Kang then turned to the puzzled couple. “He’s the one grandpa was talking about.”

“Sir, this is Jiyong and Dara.” The two bowed down at the old man.

“How?” The old man stuttered, blinking his eyes repeatedly.

“Sir, I’ll go now, I still need to open the shop. Please take care of them from here.” Mr. Kang excused himself.

Jiyong and Dara started to worry with the way the old man was looking at them stiffly. They couldn’t comprehend his expression.

“Sir? You can lead the way. We’re not familiar here or if you want we can talk in one of the restaurants.” Jiyong woke the old man from his trance. The old man was confused on what’s happening but he knew better. He started to lead the way to his house, knowing that it will be the perfect place to understand things.

When they arrived, Jiyong and Dara tightened their hold on each other’s hands. The house, it gave them another wave of familiarity, a connection.

“I’m living with my grandson’s family but they already went to work and school. My wife is already dead so no one could really serve us some food, I hope you don’t mind. But please make yourselves comfortable.” The old man smiled at Jiyong before continuing, “After all, it’s also your house hyung.” Jiyong guessed he was pertaining to him but he was questioning himself how could it be his house.

The living room was filled with thousands of books. Dara picked up one and quickly recognized the name. “Babe, it’s Seungri’s favorite author. I saw more of them right there.” Jiyong whispered.

“Sir, are you also a fan of Kwon Park? Our friend is a huge fan of him too.” The old man laughed loudly at Dara’s question. He found it very funny to receive such question but he perfectly understands it. It’s his fault to hide his true identity anyways.

“Noona, that’s me. I’m Kwon Park.”

“You’re the author of all these?” Jiyong asked, surprised.

The old man nodded before explaining, “But that’s not my real name.” He stared at them, hoping they could recognize him but they just stared back at him. “I’m Kwon Seungri.” He introduced himself.

“Seungri. That’s also the name of our friend. Lee Seungri.” The couple found it amusing that their friend who was always been a big fan of Kwon Park turned out to share the same name with the author’s real name.

“What a coincidence, he must be handsome and great like me too.” The old man chuckled. “Hyung, noona, can’t you really remember me? I mean, how did this happen? I’m sure you are my hyung and noona, your faces are very much the same, same goes for your names. And I also felt it. But how? You haven’t aged a bit. And hyung you? How could it be?” The old man started throwing them endless questions.

“Sir, why do you keep on calling us hyung and noona? What is your relationship with us?” They answered his question with another question.

“Hyung, I’m your little brother. I’m also noona’s favorite dongsaeng.” Jiyong was surprised. He was his brother. This is his home before. Sensing his husband’s restlessness, Dara started explaining things.

She showed  the diary and the photo. “We believe the Jiyong and Dara you knew are our past lives. My past life is my great grandma’s. Those which are written in her diary, we also have the same memories but with different details. The reason we went here is because we wanted to undersand things. Yesterday, we met Mr. Kang Daesung, our friend back in highschool.”

The old man finally understands the situation. “So next life is really true. Noona didn’t break her promise.” He smiled, remembering his noona’s last words before her family moved out from their town.

 

Months after Jiyong’s death, Dara’s parents knew their daughter was trying her best to be strong for herself, for them, for the Kwons, and most especially for Jiyong but whenever they hear her secret cries at night, it’s always hurting them. They didn’t know what else to do so they decided to move to a different place, hoping they could start anew, away from Dara’s longingness and sadness.

Before they moved away, Dara visited the Kwons for the last time. After she bid goodbye to Jiyong’s parents and Minzy whom she will always treat as her own family, she decided to have a private talk with Seungri.

“Noona, why are you leaving? I already lost hyung, I don’t want to lose you too.” Seungri hiccupped his words as tears kept flowing on his face. His noona is memories of his hyung, he wants to hold on that memory.

“You’re not going to lose me. I’m just living in a different place.”

“Stay noona, please.”

“Sorry.” Dara started crying. “I’m sorry. This is hard for me too, but it’s the only thing we could think of.”

“I miss Jiyong so much. I’m trying to stand up again. To live my life without him but it was so hard. At night, I always wish that everything was just a bad dream, that when I wake up, Jiyong would be there smiling at me again. But whenever I wake up and he’s not there, I need to remind myself again that he’ll never be going back. That cycle just continues.”

“Everyday is another pain for me to endure. Everywhere I go, everything I look at, they’re all memories of me and Jiyong. It’s so hard for me to move on. I really wanted to be with him now but that would be unfair to my parents, to uncle and aunt, to you and Minzy. Your hyung wouldn’t like seeing me like this, he wants to see me happy. But I can’t do it here.”

“I’ll go away but all my memories with him will be forever with me. He might have left this world but he will always stay in my heart. I’m doing this because I love him.”

Dara lifted Seungri’s face, who has fixed himself on looking down, crying. “Seungri, listen to me carefully. I promise you, in my next life I will find your hyung. In that lifetime, we will still love each other. Don’t cry anymore.” Seungri just nodded his head.

“Take care of your family like what your hyung did, okay? And promise me, you will continue writing.”

“Yes, noona.” He sobbed.

“Thank you.” Dara hugged him tight. She doesn’t know if she will have another chance to see the Kwons again, her second family, but one thing is for sure, they will always be special to her.

 

“Wait for me. I’ll just get something.” The old man disappeared on one of the rooms.

“Ji, are you okay?” Dara started to worry with his silence. Jiyong smiled at her, squeezing her hands, assuring her that he was fine.

The old man went back with a lot of photo albums. Jiyong and Dara started scanning them, and were overwhelmed by the number of photos they have together from their past lives. 

“Dara, no doubt, We’re very much in love.”

“Yes you are. Until now, I should say.” The old man grinned.

“Thank you.”

“Your love, in your past lives, everyone was fond of it. We always say that we are very much honored to witness such kind. Maybe you were just teens back then, but we already felt a strong promise to it.”

“Mr. Daesung also said that.”

“Even after hyung died and noona lived away, their love story is always the talk of the town. It was pass from generation to generation. If you randomly ask kids around, they will surely know my hyung and noona’s love story. They might not know their faces and names but they will know their story. Everyone adores it. You’re this town’s legendary couple. Your love never ended, it continues to live and will forever continue.”

“He died. The ending is heartbreaking.” Dara whispered sadly.

“My brother died, but they didn’t fall out of love. Some circumstances just separated them from each other for a period of time. Maybe noona, your great grandma, your past life, married another man, your great grandfather. But that didn’t mean she has already forgotten about my brother. Noona promised that. I know hyung is happy that noona has found someone who will take care of her when he couldn’t anymore.”

“By the way, are you two married already?” The old man asked out of the blue. It was his dream to see his favorite couple get married when he was still young.

“Yes. We vowed to spend our lives together just two weeks ago.” Dara excitedly replied, showing her ring.

“I’ll still spend my life with you even without marriage.” Jiyong wiggled his brows. She threw him a glare, embarrassed that her husband’s past life’s brother was hearing it. In contrary on what she was thinking, the old man was delighted at the sight. He reminisced those days when his hyung and noona banter and threw sweets words to each other just like what he was seeing now.

They weren’t able to notice the time, that when Jiyong looked outside, it was already starting to get dark.

“I’m sorry to bother you sir but can we just go back tomorrow? It’s already getting late, and we don’t want to disturb you too much. Also, we still need to find our way back to our accommodation.

 “Of course. It would be my pleasure.”

 

They were taking their time walking when they notice a small pathway on the side of street.

“Babe, look!” Dara beamed, pointing at the small little lights hovering at a distance. They follow those, and found themselves ending up in a clearing.

“This is lovely.” Dara marveled at the sight laying before them - the glow emitted by the moon, the fireflies illuminating the flowers scattered around them.

Unknown to them, it was the exact place where their past selves always spend time together, their secret hideaway. The witness of their love.

 

“I wanted to watch fireflies with her.” I peeked at Dara, her face clearly excited with what I just said. I hold her shoulders, turning both our bodies to face her parents. “Mr. And Mrs. Park, please allow us. I will protect your daughter with my whole life. I promise to bring her back safely.” I declared, Dara giggling on my little scene.

After cleaning all the dishes, Dara just grabbed a cardigan and we were off to go. She held our hands together, swaying it as we walk to our destination. When we arrived, I settled the little blanket for us to sit on.

  "Where should we look to see the fireflies?”

“There’s none.” I confessed. I can’t think of anything a while ago, I just randomly blurted out fireflies. But it was true I wanted to be with her so I really didn’t lie to her parents.

“Why are we out here then?” Dara asked, closing her eyes, enjoying the cold breeze brought by the night.

“I just want to be with you.” That made her look at me, then she started giggling. Her mere presence beside me, I could live with just this.

 

Jiyong dusted his jacket and laid it on the grass. “Let’s stay for a while and enjoy this.” They were in town for three days already but they haven’t really explored the area. Used to living in the busy city, the couple enjoyed the calmness of the night.

“Did you notice it? Mr. Kwon Seungri.”

“Yes. He’s our Lee Seungri. Another past life.”

Dara leaned back on Jiyong’s chest, tightening his arms resting on her waist, feeling him closer. Jiyong closed his eyes, enjoying the closeness of his wife, then he started humming his song for her.  His habit, singing it whenever he’s with her.

“Under the night sky where the moonlight casts its brightness above us. I glanced at you. Your eyes were closed as you hummed again that song.” Dara whispered, staring at him. Upon hearing it, Jiyong stopped humming and joined her. “Those small smiles you were giving is glistening among the darkness. It was enchanting.”

“The way your arms are tightly secured on my waist. The way your body is giving me warmth from the coldness of the wind’s blowing. I can spend all my nights like this. This is where I belong. You’ve become my home.”

Slowly, Jiyong dipped down, claiming Dara’s lip, nibbling it gently, making his wife feel how thankful he is to have her not only now but also in his past life.