I can't cry hard enough for you to hear me.

The Strangers Were Once Lovers

 

Mrs Ahn wrote 'Memory' on the center of the whiteboard. "This is going to be your Final Year English grade.Write an essay about 'Memory'. "

The whole class groaned and took out foolscap papers unwillingly.

"To help all of you out,I'll give you some ideas.We all know that everyone has memories.It's like an old film which plays in your mind.For it to be attached to you,it must have been a special event in your life.Whether it's good or bad,it depends on the emotion you felt during that entire period itself.Some people experienced tragic accidents that are etched in their minds and brains and it would only bring tears to their eyes.Whereas some have nostalgic memories that put a smile you your face everytime you think about it.Now,what's your memory?Who's involved?How did it happened?When dd it happened?How did you feel?I gave you alot of pointers already,now it's your turn to narrate your own story."

I slouched in my seat.I didn't have the mood to write down an essay now.Many were already writing on their papers,afraid that they would forget their ideas.Some were spinning their pens and others,like me,were just staring into space,waiting for an idea to miracally appear.I looked to my right.Doo Joon was already writing on his paper.I sighed when suddenly,an idea hit me.


~Lunch Time~

I headed back to my classroom after I had my lunch.The cafeteria was exceptionaly full of students today.Just as I stepped into the class,I saw Doo Joon listening to his iPod.Seeing me,he pulled out his earpiece.

"Jangmi-ah,had lunch already?"He smiled genuinely.

I nodded nervously.Not because he was speaking to me but he called me out so softly.

"You?"I asked him.

"No,I had a heavy breakfast."

I nodded my head and went to sit beside him.My eyes caught the dogtag that was hanging around his neck. "Is that a dogtag?"

He looked down and took it out from his shirt."Yeah."

I took if from him and turn it over.The engravement was there."D J?"I looked at him and pretended not to know what it stood for.

"Mhmm.It must be Doo Joon right?My initials."

"Oh."I gave him back the dogtag,disappointed."What are you listening to?"I looked at his iPod.My heart stopped beating when I saw 'Our Playlist' playing.I have that playlist too.We put our favourite songs together."You're listening to our playlist?"I smiled.

"Apparently,that's the name of the playlist.Who's the 'our' ?I can't remember."

His words sliced through my hopes.I meant our playlist,not the name that was given to that playlist...

"So...I assumed that we were close before my accident?"His eyes were full of doubts.

I nodded and let him continue.

"How close were we?"

I hesitated for a while."We used to hang out at each other's house."

"Oh.Then...we must be really close.Do we know each other's secrets?"He whispered eventhough there was no one in the room.

I smiled and then giggled."Like how you're afraid of heights and that you sometimes talk in your sleep?"

"Yah!"He straightened up.

I chuckled at his reaction.

"What else do we do together?"he smiled.

I took one of  his earpiece and stuck it in my right ear."You used to stuck this earpiece in my ear and we'd listen to music while we hum to its rhythm.You used to sing for me when I can't sleep."A beam crept on my lips and it was as if the whole scene unfolded right before my eyes. "And then we'd insult each other like we were enemies ,quarrel like kids and tease each other like siblings... "

Doo Joon closed his eyes and rested his head on the table.

"You'd be there when noone was there for me.We'd cry about our parents and complained how unfair life was.We spent nights at each others house and just chatted with each other till morning." A tear slided from my eye. "You used to buy me expensive things with your pay,and I'd scold you.See this watch?" I held up my wrist.

I turned to him when he did not respond."Doo Joon-ah."

He sprang up,clutching his head.I quickly wiped my tears.

"Sorry,my head hurts alot."He slurred his words.

"Are you okay?"

As he nodded his head,students came rushing into the classroom as the bell rang,indicating that lunch time was over.

 

What was I doing?I need to take things slowly...