It's hard to take a role in someone's life when you're not even part of the script.

The Strangers Were Once Lovers

Jangmi

"Wanna go out tomorrow?"Doo Joon took out his English journal out of his backpack."Come on,it's a Saturday."He tilted his head to look at me.

"Where to?"I managed a smile.

"Bowling?"His eyes lit up.

I thought for awhile and agreed.

"Then you can continue our story."He gave a wicked grin.

Oh no.I don't know how to continue that story,Doo Joon.I want to tell you the truth because I'm really tired of pretending but I'm afraid of your reaction...

"Settle down!"Mrs Ahn strode into the class.

Everyone rushed back to their seats and pretended to be pleasent students.

"I am going to return to you your English essay on 'Memory' .I've keyed in the marks,so do not come to me begging for more.It was...pretty well done.I am going to call up a few people to read out your essay infront of the whole class.All right,let's start with Im Sooyoung."

Everyone started to clap.Oh no.I hope my name won't be called.I crossed my fingers under the table and prayed silently.I could not concentrate on Sooyoung as my heart felt like jumping out of my chest.Mrs Ahn called out four more names.

"All right,well done Kang Jun.Next one is..."I stared to the ground.Don't call for me.Please."Yoon Doo Joon."I sighed in relief.I gave him a thumbs up and clapped for him.

 

Doo Joon

I took my essay from Mrs Ahn and read out loud.

 

"Memory
 
I lost it,I lost my memory.I could not remember anything about the accident but it was said that it was a hit-and-run.The doctors said that it was a miracle that I am still alive.Obviously,it comes with a price-a hefty one.They said that I suffer from brain concussion.This will result in a myriad of different outcomes but primarily amnesia.Fortunately,I still remember my friends and I was not badly hurt.I was confused and disorientated at first but after multiple sessions of therapies,moving around and performing daily activities were not so difficult.
 
One thing that is still disturbing me is the fact that I cannot remember how I lost my parents.When asked,my friends told me that they died when I was young.Their words stung.I cried day and night,till my eyes were swollen.Did they really die?How old was I then?Do I have any other relatives?Who do I live with?I am still searching for answers.
 
The class elicited a groan of sympathy.
 
"I was told that I lost only a few periods of my memory.For instance,the memory of my parents and this mystery girl,Jangmi. 
 
I looked up from my paper to Jangmi,who was staring at me,emotionless.Some people started to whisper around.Damn it.I forgot that I wrote about this.
 
"She was with my friends when I woke up,but honestly,she was none other than a stranger to me.
 
I gulped and looked up to her,who was still staring.Her eyes glistened.
 
"I am sorry Jangmi, I hope we will get to know each other more in the months to come.Please be patient with me as I am still trying to figure out why you are the only one that I forgot."
 
Jangmi

My ears automatically refuse to hear the rest of his essay.I need to get a grip.I can't cry.I swallowed the tears that has sprung to the back of my throat.Get a grip,Gok Jangmi,I tell myself silently.

When Doo Joon's arm touched mine,I came back to my senses.

"Are you okay?Sorry,that was before you told me anything."He looked apologetic.

I shook my head and managed a feeble smile.

"Next,let's have Jangmi to read hers."Mrs Ahn smiled broadly.Panic climbed the ladder of my throat."Doo Joon,you might just find the answers to your questions."

My eyes widened in fear.I stifled a smile and looked at Jun Hyung.His eyebrows furrowed as if he could read my thoughts.Just then,the school bell rang,saving me.Thank God.

"Oh,lesson's over.What a pity.Jangmi,you'll read your essay next week,all right?"

I nodded and beamed at her."Sure."

When Mrs Ahn went out of the class,I laughed to myself.I cannot believe that I was this lucky.I sighed in contentment.

 

Doo Joon

I can find the answers to my questions?What does Mrs Ahn meant by that?