...because you will forever be my valentine.

The Strangers Were Once Lovers

The school bell rang, indicating that it was time for lunch break.Just as I was about to head out of the classroom to the cafeteria,Doo Joon pulled my arm.

"We'll have lunch in class today!"He chirped and then took out cute lunchboxes from his backpack.

"Rilakkuma?!"I sat back at my seat and took the Rilakkuma lunchbox."Awww!You cooked?"

He nodded shyly."Try it..."

I opened the lid and froze suddenly.He made this?It smells good...I looked at him."Y-you made this?"

 "Pali !Try it!"

I took the first bite of the sushi and chewed slowly.My eyes litted up."YOU MADE THIS?!"

"Is it yummy?"He took a whole sushi and chewed it.

"Well,the rice is perfectly cooked and you wrapped the sushi really nicely!"I took another bite of the different types of sushi."Seriously,you made these?I mean..."

"Well,someone helped me.Heh heh."He bit his lower lip.

"I knew it!"Both of us laughed and continued eating.Eh,he lives alone...Who helped him?

"Seems like I owe Hana." He continued savouring the sushi.

"Hana?"I paused eating,the chopsticks in my mouth.

"Yeah,she helped me in making these.She's my neighbour."

"Ahh..."I picked up the sushi slowly."How old is she?I've never heard of her before."

"A year younger,16.She cook really well,so I asked for her help to make these...I helped her too!"

I chuckled."Ara,arasso! Tell her it's nice."

"I will!"He smiled and pinched my cheek.

Hana...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There's a new waffle cafe near my house.Jangmi-ah,you wanna try it?"Doo Joon zipped up his backpack.

"Waffles?!"Jun Hyung shouted from his seat.

"Yah,I didn't ask you."

Jun Hyung pouted and I laughed."Joonie!Don't be like that.Let's have Jun Hyung and Mirae to come along too!"

"Doo Joonie,count me in too!"Yoseob shouted across the classroom.

"Joonie?!"Jun Hyung and Mirae stared at each other and said in unison.Both of them then guffawed.

"Wae~? It's cute okay?Joonie~!"I wrapped my arms around Doo Joon's arm.

"I told you not to call me that in public.Aish!So embarrassing!"Doo Joon covered his face.All of us burst out laughing."Aishh!Whatever,let's go have waffles now!"In the end,Doo Joon ended up laughing with us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doo Joon held up a spoonful of waffle and strawberry ice cream infront of my mouth."Aahh~"

I opened my mouth and ate it happily.

"I shouldn't have come..."Yoseob chewed his waffle sloppily while sighing.

Mirae and I chuckled at him.Jun Hyung,who was thoughtful,cut the thick waffles in small pieces for Mirae.Sometimes when I look at them,I could not help it but to feel envious.They looked so loving and believe me, I've never seen Jun Hyung so cheerful.

"I'll feed you one,come!"Doo Joon was about to put it into Yoseob's mouth when someone came to our table.

"Doo Joon?"

 

All of us stopped talking and looked up.

"Hana?You are here too?!"

Hana?Wow, she's gorgeous...I don't think she's pure Korean.She's too pretty to be a pure asian.She looks like Ailee,except prettier.

Jun Hyung looked at me and raised an eyebrow.I shook my head and faked a smile.

Doo Joon introduced her to us and when then he pointed to me,I froze."This is my girlfriend,Gok Jangmi."

A part of me felt estatic that he introduced me confidently,but a part of me withered.They looked close.I mean,they're neighbours,I know that but...She's so pretty,even Yoseob was drooling.If Mirae was not here,I think Jun Hyung would probably stare at her too...She's that pretty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After we bade goodbye,Jun Hyung and Mirae took the train while Yoseob walked home.While walking to his house,I spoke up.

"She's pretty."I gulped and smiled.

"Really?I think you're prettier."Doo Joon took my hand.

Boys...They are bad at lying.

 

Doo Joon

"She's pretty."Jangmi looked up at me and smiled.

"Really?I think you're prettier."I held her cold hand.

"Don't lie.Yoseob can't stop staring at her."She laughed and after awhile,sighed softly.

Is she jealous?

"I'm not lying.You are the prettiest in my eyes."

She looked at me and grinned weakly.

She looked dejected.How do I tell her that she's the best that I have ever had?She's not as perfect as other girls out there,but I like her.She makes me happy.How do I make her believe me?

When we reached my apartment,she went to my kitchen to find a drink.

I quickly went to my drawer and  took out a box.I had spent nearly a month and a half juggling between school and work just to get us these.It's a Fossil couple watch.I wanted something that symbolises our love.The locket that she wears,it's always hidden under her clothing because she's afraid that it will have scratch marks.So,I got these watch.I want to show everyone that she's tied to me.Sounds corny and cheesy ,I know but admit it,it's cute.

I got this engraved at the back of the watch.

"...because you saw me when I was invisible"

Yoon Doo Joon  Gok Jangmi

It's because of that...I felt like I was invisible, living without parents...living without love.I chose to become oblivious to the world after my aunt's family fled away with my parents' money.Luckily,they placed this small apartment under my name and also a hefty sum of money in my bank account.I need to watch my spending albeit it is a huge sum of money because I know that this money is for my school and also my daily necessities.

But then...Jangmi came into my life.All thanks to Mr Kang.I hated her at first because she was not lady-like at all.Which girl likes rough sports?Which girl snores in her sleep?(But her snores are cute hehe^^)But these are the qualities and the perceptions everyone has of the 'perfect girl'.I don't want a perfect girl.I need someone who is perfect  for me.I believe Jangmi is...because she saw me when I was invisible.

"Baby!I wanna show you something.Come here!"I patted the space beside me.

She sat down carefully with a mug of Milo in her hands.

"You don't believe me when I said that you're the prettiest in my eyes?"

Her eyes widened."You are still thinking about that?"

I grinned and gave her the box.She looked at it then raised an eyebrow. "What's this?"

"Couple watch."

She opened the box and her jaw dropped."Where did you get the money from?"She looked at me,confused.

"Well..."I rubbed my nape.

"Where?Don't ...Oh my god..."I pouted sadly."Is this the reason why you've been tired lately?"

I could not face her.She looked so angry."You don't like it?"

"Why are you spending your hard-earned money on me?Of course I don't like it.I mean...you work so hard for it.Don't spend it on me..."

"Okay,okay.I will not buy you anymore expensive stuff okay?You're weird.Girls like it when their boyfriends buy for them expensive things...I think you'll look prettier with this watch.Much prettier than Hana."I took her hand and wore it for her."See?"

She amired the watch and smiled.Suddenly,her face cramped up and she faced me."Hana?Can you stop mentioning her name?"

"Are you jealous?"I grinned.

"Well...I mean...She's so close to you!Everyone saw it just now at the Waffles Cafe and she was flirting with you!"She mimicked Hana's actions.

"Awww,someone's jealous!!!"I tickled her torso and she burst out laughing.

"Stop it!!"I stopped tickling her and swiftly pecked her lips."I'm falling for you...deeply."

"I thought I was the only one."A grin crept on her face."Thank you.I love this watch...But..."Her gaze shifted to the floor."Can you not be so close to Hana?"She leant her back on my chest and played with my fingers.

I chuckled."Okay,I will ignore her if she talks to me and kick her out of the house if she wants to come in okay?Happy?"

 

Jangmi

I giggled and nodded my head.

The sound of the doorbell was heard.Doo Joon stood up and went to the door to check.I waited and admired the watch.A smile spreaded on my lips.When Doo Joon was taking a long time,I stood up and headed to the door.

"Joonie,who's tha-Oh..."

"Jangmi?Oh,I thought he was alone,I only brought my share and his share of the food.My Mom cooked and told me to bring over some to him and I thought I'd eat dinner with him since he was alone but..."Hana stood at the door with a tray of food.

My gaze shifted to Doo Joon.He seemed unable to talk.Why didn't he refused?What about the talk we had before this?

"Oh,I'm sure Doo Joon's happy.I'll take my leave first."I grabbed my backpack near the door."Enjoy your dinner."


2nd February 2012

 

8:20PM

Dear diary,

I WANNA KILL HANA OMG.SHE KEEPS FLIRTING WITH DOO JOON.

 

BACK OFF GIRL!!!

As much as I trust Doo Joon,that Hana is pissing me off.Aahh,whatever.

 

PISSED OFF,

Rose


Doo Joon

She didn't answer my calls or reply to my texts...

Those were empty promises right?I wanted to ignore her but Hana came with food and all...How can I reject her mother's generosity?

I have not even told Jangmi about the engravement at the back of the watch yet.I don't want to tell her over a text.I mean,I need to apologise to her too..Perhaps I should tell her in school later.Meanwhile,I will not wear the watch first...

 

Jangmi

Before I left for school,I got the hundredth text from Doo Joon.It's not that I wanted to be childish and ignore his messages but ...I wanted him to feel sorry and realise that I was not joking about this Hana thing.I'm not angry at him.

Jangmi-ah,please hear me out.I need to tell you something about that watch.I'm sorry about yesterday but I could not reject Ahjumma's generosity right?Mianhe T.T I'll see you in school later.Please don't ignore my calls and texts?D:

-Doo Joon

 

Pabo...I smiled and headed to school.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jun Hyung came to my table and sat on Doo Joon's seat.

When Mirae was at the other end of the classroom,Jun Hyung said in a hushed tone. "Yah,who's that Hana chick?"

I looked over to Mirae who was chatting happily with the other girls."Why?Are you interested in her?" I said in disgust.

"That's not what I meant.I mean,Doo Joon looks so close to her...Aren't you jealous?"

I stared at him.

"Whoa...It's the green monster..." He smirked. "Anyway,where's Doo Joon?Class is starting soon."

"I've not talked to him since last night."Mirae and Yoseob was curious and joined us.I told them what happened at his house yesterday after they left and they burst out laughng.

"So,you're just testing him?! He called me last night and sounded so anxious!"Yoseob chimed in.

"Whoa Jangmi-ah."Mirae came closer to me and whispered in my ear."I shall use that method to Jun Hyung if I see him with another girl."

I giggled and winked at her.

A bellow was suddenly heard."IS THIS A FUNFAIR?WHERE ARE YOUR TEXTBOOKS?"Mr Kang strode into the class and banged the table.

When Mr Kang was going through Mathematics problem sums with us,I secretly checked my phone under my table.That's weird...No text messages or missed calls...

Where's Doo Joon?Class has started.

I started to  text Yoseob.

Seobie,do you know where's Doo Joon?Did he text or call you?

-Jangmi

A reply came straightaway.

Oh,I just realised that he's not here yet...No,he didn't text or call me.Where's that pabo?

-Yoseob

This is weird.Is he playing a prank?I excused myself to the washroom and fished out my handphone.I stepped on my pride and began pressing '3' on the speed dial.1 is for my mother.2 is for my Dad.And 3 is him.After a few rings,someone picked up the phone.

"Yah,Yoon Doo Joon.Where are you?Why are you not in school?!"I shouted over the receiver.

"Hello?Are you related to the owner of this mobile phone?"A woman's voice was heard.

I looked at the number that was dialled on my phone screen and knitted my eyebrows.Isn't this his phone number?Who's this lady?

"I'm sorry but ...who are you?"Millions of questions crossed my mind.

The next few lines from that woman snapped me out of my senses,causing my jaw to drop to the ground,forming an 'O'.The blood that was coursing through my veins stopped flowing.Suddenly,the whole room seemed to be spinning.

With tears pricking my eyes,I dashed out of the washroom in total panic.