...because I know that you will forever be mine.

The Strangers Were Once Lovers

I dashed into the classroom and grabbed my backpack.Before Mr Kang could even stop me,my legs carried on running to the school gate and then to the General Hospital.I knew the consequences of leaving school midway,it was the same as playing truant...but I could not leave Doo Joon alone.

The nurse's words kept replaying in my mind like a broken record.

He was hit by a car an hour ago near Jujin High School.He is in the Accident & Emergency(A&E) department.

My legs felt like giving way but I held on.

"Pabo Doo Joon.Pabopabopabo."Tears kept streaming down my cheeks.He was supposed to come to school and apologise to me.What happened?

As soon as I reached the A&E department,the strong antiseptic smell wafted through my nostrils.The oppressive atmosphere sent nothing but chills down my spine.

I stared at the operation theatre doors in consternation,hoping that it will all be okay...Hoping that it was just a prank call...Hoping that this was just  a dream...


I sat by the bed and held his hand tightly.The beeps of the life support machine filled the room.There were scars on his face and arms but nothing pained me more than to see the bandage on his head.The surgeons and doctors suspected concussion but nothing could be confirmed till an X-ray is done on him.They said that Doo Joon  was lucky that his spine was not badly affected or it would cause paralysis.

My phone was flooded by Jun Hyung's and Yoseob's missed calls.Jun Hyung told me that Mr Kang was furious that I left his class halfway.He even threatened to call my parents.Too bad for him,my parents are not in the country at the moment.

I took a long look at Doo Joon's face and frowned.Tears welled up in my eyes and like a tide threatening to burst the dam,it streaked down my face,clouding my vision as I rewound my mental clock to the days that were gone.I should not have gotten angry towards him.How childish I was!

Hours after hours crawled by.Doo Joon has still not woken up.It was 8 :25PM and I was still in my uniform.Yoseob was lying down at the sofa beside me while Jun Hyung and Mirae went to my house to bring over a set of clothes for me after I refused to go home and insisted on staying with Doo Joon.After countless persuasions from Yoseob,I finally ate the sandwhich that he bought but put it aside after a bite as I really had no appetite.

When it was 11:30PM,Jun Hyung sent Mirae home,leaving Yoseob and I in the ward.It was painful to see Yoseob crying just now.His friendship with Doo Joon is like my friendship with Jun Hyung.They were closer than friends,they were like brothers.Yoseob slept on the couch while I sat by Doo Joon.Perhaps,he might wake up in the morning and I want to be the first that he will see.

Hopefully,everything will be all right tomorrow...

I was stirred awake at 6 in the morning.It was a Saturday and Jun Hyung just came into the ward.I washed up and ate the hamburger that Jun Hyung bought.The sun was already up but Doo Joon was not up yet.I wanted to apologise to him so bad.

Yoseob suddenly rushed to the bed."Doo Joon!You're awake!"

Jun Hyung and I followed him.Just the thought of Doo Joon smiling at Yoseob,toasted a huge smile on my face.At last,he's awake.Tears started to sting my eyes.My prayers have been answered...But ...how do I face him after what I have done?

"Are you feeling better?"Jun Hyung leant closer to him.Yoseob told him what happened and it caused Doo Joon to chuckle.

"Why are you laughing?!I was so scared ,I thought I was going to lose my bestfriend!"Yoseob chided jokingly,causing Doo Joon to grin."But no one was as anxious as Jangmi..." Yoseob pulled me beside him.  " She rushed to the hospital as soon as she heard about your accident."

I gulped the lump in my throat.I wiped the tears from my eyes and gathered the courage to apologise to him.

"Doo Joon-ah,I'm sorr-"

"Who is she?"Doo Joon knitted his eyebrows and faced Yoseob.

His words hung in the air.Yoseob turned to look at Jun Hyung and then to me.Is this how he's going to play the game?

Yoseob started to laugh."Not funny,we won't fall for your trick."

"What trick?"Doo Joon started to chuckle innocently."Is she your new girlfriend?"

My mind went blank instantaneously.

No...This is not happening...My hands covered my mouth in disbelief as I walked backwards,further away from them.