The hardest part of dreaming about someone you love is having to wake up.

The Strangers Were Once Lovers

PART TWO

Didn't we almost had it all?

 

My arms were bruised by now.I pinched them time and again with each time wishing that this was all a dream.I laid down in bed that night crying while listening to our playlist in my iPod.How can this be reality?I took out my locket and opened it.Can I just show him this?What else do I have that will remind him of us?There's his dog tag...and the photos we took from the photo booth...and also the couple watch.That's right!I can show him all these! I'm sure it will help to trigger his memory.

Jun Hyung wanted to accompany me at home but Mirae was sick.I cried harder.Nobody wants me now.I have no parents here.My boyfriend just lost his memory.My best friend left me alone to be by his girlfriend's side.I clenched the locket and brought it to my heart while the tears just flowed and flooded my senses ,numbing my heart.


I went to class the next day with a dark cumulonimbus cloud above my head.When I saw Doo Joon in his seat,a huge grin toasted on my face.I quickened my steps but as soon as I remembered what happened ,I halted and the smile faded slowly.Jun Hyung saw me and turned to Doo Joon's direction.

"He asked me where his seat was.You want him to change seat with Mirae?"Jun Hyung asked.

I turned to him and shook my head.

"Everyone's here?"Mrs Bae sashayed into the classroom cheerfully.

I dragged my feet to my seat.Doo Joon turned his head and saw me.

"Oh,I was your partner?"He asked me,genuinely surprised.

"Y-yes..."I stuttered.

He nodded his head and smiled.I died a little inside.

My phone buzzed in my pocket.When Mrs Bae turned to write on the whiteboard,I checked the message.

I've got a plan.Let's meet at the waffles place after school.

-Yoseob

Jun Hyung turned to me and secretly showed his mobile phone.I nodded,signalling that I got the same text too.What plan did Yoseob came up with?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It won't work.He won't be jealous."Jun Hyung continued sipping his chocolate milkshake.

"I don't think he'll be jealous too.I mean...at most,he'll believe that Jangmi is really your girlfriend.Then that will be a whole lot of problem."Mirae spoke in a matter-of-fact tone.

Yoseob leant on the table and pouted."But Doo Joon already thinks that Jangmi is my girlfriend."Suddenly,he sprang up."Omo!I've got a fantastic idea!"His eyes widened as he laughed to himself."Why don't we just show him the stuff that both of you got together?That way he'll definitely believe that you were together right?!"

"Yah,pabo."Jun Hyung stared at Yoseob."That was the first thing we thought.But then,he won't just believe us.And forcing him to believe us won't work.Remember what Doctor Fin said?Perhaps,he might feel annoyed also if we keep forcing and in the end...things won't come to any good."

All of us nodded in unison.

"Is that Doo Joon?"Mirae was staring on the pavement outside the cafe.

"Who's he walking with?"Yoseob squinted his eyes.

All of them turned to me.

"What?"I stared at them.

Without a word,Jun Hyung stood up and headed for the exit.

 

Doo Joon

"You know about the thing you told me days ago..."I gulped the lump in my throat.Hana stared at me blankly."About...us..."

"Oh."She nodded."Why?"

I tilted my head,unsure of how to put it in a string of words."How...I mean,both of us...No...Umm.-"I scratched my head.

Hana giggled but stopped when someone called out my name.

"I think I'll go home first."She sounded uneasy for some reason but  I was quite relieved as I didn't know how to ask her.

"What are you all doing here?"Jun Hyung walked closer to me with Yoseob,Jangmi and Mirae tailing behind.

Yoseob pointed to the waffles place behind us.

"Oh,I want to try it some day.The waffles look delicious!"

"You don't remember?"Mirae asked cautiously.

I looked at their dumbfounded faces and shook my head slowly.

"Yah pabo,let's all go to your house and we'll help you remember things!"Yoseob hooked his arm around Doo Joon's neck playfully and all of us tailed behind them.

Jangmi

I miss this smell of his house.It's been a while since I last stepped here.The rest of them sat at his kitchen but I placed my bag at the entrance door and wandered around this small place.A smile crept to my lips.His watch is sitting at the bedside table.I took a look at mine.It's similar,just smaller-a pair of couple watch.I looked over to his walls.Something's strange...Where's our photographs?He used to stick candid pictures of me and also ours.Did he take them out?But then,won't he ask how am I related to him?This doesn't make sens-

"Jangmi!"Jun Hyung hollered from the kitchen and patted the seat beside him.I went to the kitchen with a million thoughts in my head.

"Okay,so you're telling me that I introduced you to that waffles cafe?"Doo Joon asked and scratched his head.

All of us nodded.

"We used to hang out there after school everytime."Yoseob chimed in.

"Okay,enough about me.Tell me more about you.I forgot some details like how long have you and Jangmi been together for?"

I grabbed my cup and drank nervously.

"She's not my girlfriend."Yoseob admitted.

"Oh."Doo Joon's excitement died.

"She's yours."

I choked on my drink,spewing it out and began to cough vehemently.Jun Hyung rubbed my back as all of us stared at Yoseob with disbelief.

"W-what?"Doo Joon pinned his stare on Yoseob.

"I'm kidding."Yoseob forced out a chuckle.

All of us sighed in relief.

"Whoa,you got me confused for awhile there.Hana told me the same thing days ago."Doo Joon took a gulp of the coke.

"Hana?"I asked,surprised.

"Yes.I was about to ask her more about us but I didn't know how to.I'm afraid  that I'd hurt her feelings but honestly,I don't remember anything.Do you guys know about us?Were we together last time?"

The room turned quiet.

The questions in my head were answered one by one "Have she came here before?I mean...after your discharge from the hospital."

"Yeah,she helped me with my bags."Doo Joon nodded.

"So the photographs on your wall..."I began to sort out my thoughts.

"What photographs?"Doo Joon creased his forehead and looked around his little apartment.The walls were bare.

Meanwhile,the rest were flicking their heads back and forth between Doo Joon and I like a tennis match,question marks written on their faces.

"Nevermind."I stood up ."I think I need to go first."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------