.8.

La Vie En Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.8.

After finishing a six pack beer and a dozen of chicken, the two were lounging on the couch, feet propped up on top of the center table as they watch a rom-com movie from the early 2000’s titled “13 going on 30” while sharing a bowl of popcorn. Haru likes watching all kinds of movies but the genre is chosen depending on her mood. This time she needed something to cheer herself up but she can’t seem to focus on the movie as her mind would wander to what she had said to Ina.

Jungwoo caught sight of her staring blankly at the screen, somehow distracted by something else that wasn’t about the movie. Diverting her attention, he asked, “So, how did your ‘date’ go?”

Pulling her out from her train of thoughts, she turned to Jungwoo, unable to catch his words as he asked her the same question again. Jungwoo noticed the changes on her expressions, how she was in deep thought, hesitating before she answers, “It was..okay, I guess.” 

 He haven’t known Haru for a long time but he knew from how she reacted, she was lying but Jungwoo didn’t probed her as he wasn’t in the position to ask her about it and he didn’t want her to be less comfortable. He knew Haru would tell him if she was ready to do so and he will be there to listen when the time comes.

“How about you?” Haru asked, popping a few popcorns into . Jungwoo didn’t hesitate at all, making a face to Haru as she presumed for it didn’t go well with him either. Haru sighed, resting her head on his shoulder, “Hmm, I might adopt a cat sooner.” 

Jungwoo chuckled, assuming what she meant by her sudden declaration, “My mom’s allergic to cats though.”

“Too bad for you then.” She said, her voice getting softer as her eyes were getting heavier by the second. He reached out his other arm, caressing her hair a few times before falling into a deep slumber.

“Yea. Too bad.” Jungwoo said with so much certainty.

-----

Jaehyun’s shift was about to finish and the last few minutes were spent with a pile of paperworks to sort out and of course, with Taeil who seem to have the most fun bothering people. But Jaehyun was still thankful for his company for he wouldn’t be able to fall asleep from Taeil’s annoying voice and it was easier for him to finish his work.

Taeil was blabbering to him about a movie he just watched last night as Jaehyun had his undivided attention to the paper he was reading, constantly nodding whenever Taeil would pause to get a reaction from him before continuing his story again.

Jaehyun peered on his wristwatch, moving the sleeve to the side as he saw that it was already past their time-out. He started organizing the folders, stacking it back into a neat pile as Taeil was still busy going into details about the movie. Not when he stood up that Taeil finally stopped, noticing Jaehyun who was halfway through the door.

“Wait for me!” Taeil called after him, quickly removing his coat as he started getting his things out from his locker. But Jaehyun ignored him as he went straight ahead, leaving him alone in the room. He was on his way to the parking lot, Taeil tailing behind him who had asked for a ride home since his car was getting fixed at the repair shop.

“Can’t I just drop you off to the nearest bus stop from my apartment?” Jaehyun asked his colleague but gotten no response as he stopped on his track, turning around to see Taeil was nowhere to be found. Jaehyun groaned, fishing his phone out from his pocket, “Where the hell did he go again?” He was about to text him, telling him that he was leaving with or without him when someone called out for his name.

“Dr. Jeong!” He was running towards him, beaming widely with much excitement. “Let’s go.” Quickly turning on his heel, Taeil pulled him back, almost losing his balance. “Wait! I saw Chief PT Han by the lobby just now, she invited us for some samgyumpsal with the rest of the rehab department.”

Without any second thought, prying his hands off as he firmly answered, “No.”

“But – “

“I’m not coming.”

Jaehyun was getting frustrated with Taeil, who kept delaying his plan to go home, wanting to enjoy the comfort of his bed and to drink some red Muscat wine that he has been dying to get a taste. But Taeil can be very persistent sometimes and there was no escaping it. Then again, he was still determined to leave.

The two were arguing back and forth as none of the two wants to give in from the each other’s request, people who were passing by would unusually look at them. Stopping midway, Hana slowly approached them, “Is something wrong?”

They both turned to her with confusion spread across their faces. The two quickly found their poise, Taeil clearing his throat, “Dr. Kim.” Hana looked at him and then to Jaehyun, carefully reading the tense atmosphere between them, “Are you two okay?”

Just as Taeil was about to answer when the chief PT came from behind Hana, interrupting the confrontation among them, “Dr. Moon, the rest of them are already there. I already told them that we’re on the way.” And Jaehyun knew it was his opportunity to make an excuse but Taeil got to her first, “Yeah, we’re coming. Jaehyun offered to take his car, too.” Fiercely staring at Taeil, he held himself back from hitting Taeil with the book he was carrying as he kept his morals intact.

With a tight-lipped smiled, he nodded, “Yea.”

The four of them arrived at the restaurant, crowded mostly with businessmen, dressed in their classy suit and tie and uni students, who just wanted to take the time off and have fun. Upon reaching the room, everybody stood up to greet their seniors, delighted to see their rare presence during this kind of intimate gathering.

“Sit here, Dr. Jeong, Dr. Kim.” All of them scooted to the sides, vacating the seats at the middle. As soon as they had taken their spot, it was either food or queries that were passed around.

Jaehyun wasn’t really much of a talker, he doesn’t have any idea how to handle a crowd, especially if all the attention was at him. Growing up as an introvert, he doesn’t have any idea how to approach someone or even the first step on how to make a friend. Over time, he would prefer solitude over business which made him kept a quite small circle of friends, the ones he would chose to hang out on a weekend rather than staying at home re-watching the Harry Potter movies at one go.

It became different when he started med school, he could talk to his patients with ease and confidence, approaching them first for further questions they want to ask. It felt like he was living with a double personality, changing it one after the other. But he soon realized that the two weren’t difficult to distinguish, it was like comparing an orange to an apple. At work, everything he says and do w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter