.3.

La Vie En Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.3.

Alcohol Blackouts.

This is when the said person is unable to form memories of what they are doing or performing but is still able to interact with people, in a drunken manner. This is what happens to some people who particularly had too many to drink, especially Haru.

Haru woke up with an immensely, pounding headache, groaning at the sunlight directly hitting her face but what was worse is that Haru had no recollection of what had happened to her last night. She remembered events that had happened before that, going to the party, sitting on the couch, drinking a few bottles, she also remembered talking to Ina, hating Ina, and seeing. . . Lucas. After that, it was a blur. She couldn’t even remember how she got home.

Haru suddenly shot up from bed, frantically lifting her blanket cover as her eyes widened when she realized she was in her pajamas, “Oh My God!”  Her mind went to a frenzy as she measured the possibilities that she came home with someone last night.

“This can’t be happening.” She closed her eyes as she dived back into bed, burying herself further with her blanket, hoping it could swallow her whole instead. As she indulge in self-loathe, cursing at herself for being too careless, there was a sudden rattling noise on her kitchen. She could only think of the worst as she assumed that the mystery person might still be inside her apartment, which made her more anxious.

After minutes of careful consideration, she ended up having three choices in which she didn’t find amusing at all. First, she could bravely face her alleged one-night-stand and eventually die due to embarrassment. Second, she could stay in her room and just pretend she’s fast asleep until he leaves. Or third, she could sneak in on him, swing a bat on his head to keep him unconscious for a few hours, and then drag his body out without being noticed by her neighbors. 

She was about to choose the third one but she didn’t have a bat and she doesn’t have the brawns to carry him if ever he weighs twice as her. She chose the first one since they’ll both die of embarrassment anyway. And she can’t call sick at work since one of her co-workers was on leave for the week.

She got out of bed and stood in front of her door for a few minutes, waiting for the noise outside to vanish signaling her of his disappearance. But it didn’t and then suddenly, she could smell an aroma of freshly ground coffee beans. She can’t believe he had the audacity to make breakfast in her own apartment, a stranger’s apartment. She doubt if she should call the police instead. She didn’t want to start a rumor in their complex.

She silently opened the door as careful as she can without making any sound. She tiptoed her way towards the kitchen, keeping herself close to the wall as she could hear him frying on the stove. She straightened her back to the wall, closing her eyes as she counts until five before she face her guest.

1..

2..

3..

“Haru, are you up?”

She opened her eyes and went to the kitchen straightaway. Her eyebrows furrowed at the scene in front of her as she could feel her body instantly relaxed, “Oh. Johnny, what are you doing here?”

“Rough night?” Johnny teasingly smiled at her as a blush crept on her cheeks. She was flustered when she finally realized what just happened, “Johnny, don’t tell me that – “.

He snorted, “Don’t get over yourself. Mrs. Kim did it, not me.”

“Really? Well, that was more embarrassing.” She quipped, taking a sit on the stool by the counter.  “I know right.” He said and continued flipping the bacons. She was silent for a moment, scanning her place if anything was broken or missplaced, when she finally asked, “How did you know?”

Even though her question was vague he knew what she meant as he retorted,”Mrs. Kim called me just as I was on my way home from work, telling me that you were passed out on the lobby couch.”

Before she could further ask about what happened, she was more curious at Johnny having Mrs. Kim’s number. “Re – wait, how come you have her number?”

“Well, since Mrs. Kim happens to grow fond of me when I always give her some coffee every time I come here, I gave her my number in case something happens,” He said, and then pausing for a second as he looked at Haru over his shoulder, “And we both know what you’re capable of.”

Haru rolled her eyes, “Whatever, Johnny.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter