.16.

La Vie En Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.16.

The weather had been particularly chilly these past few days which signals the official start of fall season as well as the neared new - and last - semester of graduate school for Haru. Just a few more months of caffeines and cramming, she hoped to finally get that degree and an additional title on her name. And she knew it would take her a hundred and one percent effort despite having to juggle work and school at the same time which meant more sleepless nights for her.

It was a Sunday as she quietly enjoys the remaining hours of her day off lounging on her bed while still on her favorite grey sweatpants and loose shirt as she scrolled through the school's website for the enrollment details. She can't help but feel a bit happy that she made it this far but it made her anxious as she thinks about the possibility that her paper could also go wrong along the process of making it. She mindlessly ticked the boxes and filled out few personal informations before hitting the submit button. She let out a long sigh, closing down her laptop as it finally dawned on her that this semester would be her make it or break it moment.

"Ugh!" She groaned in frustration, burying her face on her pillow to cover up the noise from the thin walls of her room. Even though she still has a week left, she can't help but feel stressed just by thinking about it. Her phone suddenly dinged as she looked at the screen with Jungwoo's name appearing on the screen. Her eyebrows furrowed as she read his message even though he only sent her not more than a word.

"Coffee?"

Haru found herself walking through the long flight of stairs as she made her way to where Jungwoo was waiting. She pushed the big metal door with all her might as the spacious rooftop deck came in to view. The owner had provided the tenants access to the rooftop, but each unit was built with a terrace, which made them disregard this place since no one seems to enjoy walking five flight of stairs just to see an empty space of concrete with no skyline in view, well, except Jungwoo. 

She saw Jungwoo sitting on a makeshift bench he made back then from a pile wood scraps that was lying inside the storage area. He had his hands tucked inside his pockets, legs spread out as he stared blankly into space, somewhat deep in thought. "Hey," Haru called as she handed him his coffee. This made him snap out of trance as he turned ot Haru, slightly surprised at her presence. "Oh. You're here." Taking the coffee from her hand as Haru sat beside him, taking a sip from her drink as she looked across the block of concrete in front of her. A minuted passed by but Jungwoo haven't said a single word since she got here, but it didn't bother her. The silent atmosphere somehow felt comforting when she had been stressing about school just a while ago. 

"You look awful." Haru commented out of the blue, noticing how Jungwoo had dark circles underneath his eyes as well as his discheveled hair. 

"Yeah, awfully good." Jungwoo retorted but became self-conscious with his appearance as he pulled his hoodie up to hide his unkept hair. Haru could only roll her eyes at his narcissistic neighbor as she was still kind enough to worry about him.

"How's work?" 

Jungwoo shrugged, tilting his head on the side,"Same as ever. My boss is still an ."

"Maybe character developments isn't his thing." Haru jested as Jungwoo snorted in laughter, "Yeah, like the one's in his stories." 

Jungwoo have been working as webtoon artist ever since he graduated. He works at this small company that he saw at a job hiring website which he was lucky enough to get accepted, but it wasn't until the day of his interview when he found out that what they were looking for instead was an illustrator. He was disheartened at first because he knew he would be getting less credit from all the work he'll have to put through. He had put a lot of consideration with it as well as consulting his parents for advice, and in the end, he took their offer. It has always been a dream of his to become a famous webtoon author/artist, his stories being read across the world, but he thought he would put that aside for now. Besides the experience he'll be gaining, he will get paid a huge sum of money, enough to cover his rent for two months. Looking at the brighter side, it was a win-win situation.

But after working for them for six years, he still hasn't gotten his pitch. And it was starting to tire him out, especially now that he have to deal with his new demanding boss. "I hate him." Jungwoo groaned in frustration as he rested his head back on the bench, placing an arm over his head. "Have you considered looking for a new company?" Haru hesitantly asked as she kept glancing at Jungwoo, who remained motionless. "I did actually. But considering the sudden surge of artist this year, I don't think it would be easy for me to get in though." He asserted as he pulled himself up, moving near the ledge. 

Haru watched him cautiously as he dug around his pocket, pulling out of what seems to be an opened pack of cigarette and small lighter. She suddenly remembered how she accidentally found him at the rooftop, enjoying his own solitude puffing cigarettes. Jungwoo explained to her how his mom kept nagging him about his smoking that's why he hid it from her whenever she stays at his place, choosing the rooftop as the last place his mom would ever go. Haru understood that it was due to the pressure and stress he is getting from his work even though he claimd himself a light smoker, but she also made him aware how much she hated it when he does it.

He placed one between his teeth as he lit it, quickly taking a quick puff and blew out the velvety smoke.  "I thought you already quit." Haru said in distaste, crossing her arms at him. She always hated the smell of cigarettes. Besides the damage it could cause to your health, she felt suffocated whenever she inhales its horrid scent. Placing the in between his finger, he chuckled, "I guess I never did."

Haru groaned in annoyance as the wind kept redirecting the smoke towards the opposite direction. Jungwoo ignored her as he ashed the cigarette. "You only live once, Haru!" Jungwoo proclaimed, teasing her more as her brows furrowed in fury. "Well, let's see if you live long enough to say those words again!" Haru retorted back as she watched Jungwoo take another one from the pack. He took a puff on his cigarette and thought for a moment. Is it too late for him to achieve his dream now? Will he be okay if he does quit? He was deep in thought until Haru quickly snatched the stick from in between his hand.

"Hey! What are you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter