.21.

La Vie En Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.21.

Jaehyun and his friends go way back. He first met Doyoung in middle school as he was the one that approached him first. He didn't talk much back then and didn't play with the other kids but Doyoung was determined to be his friend. He would tag him along wherever as to let Jaehyun socialize with their classmates and he somehow succeeded. For Taeyong and Yuta, he met them in high school and they were a year above his. He got to know them when Taeyong randomnly dragged him for a game of soccer, he immediately presumed that Jaehyun was good at sports with his tall stature.

They might have different personalities but they somehow complemented one another. They've been supportive with each other, from when they were in college up to when they were starting with their careers, even up to where they wouldn't allow their friend to remain single. When he and Katie broke up, he wouldn't say he was devastated since it was a mutual decision and they made sure no tension was left hanging when they went on their separate ways. While his friends assumed otherwisem setting him up to countless blind-dates which all turned out unsuccessful at the end. Even when Jaehyun wasn't a bit interested, they were still persistent, especially Taeyong. 

"Jaehyun. You're here." Taeyong greeted him with open arms as soon as he entered inside the room. "Good to see you, too." Jaehyun greeted nonchalantly, completely ignoring his friend's invitation for a hug as he directly went to Yuta instead, handing him a small box, "Happy Birthday." Yuta smiled at him as they shared a quick hug, "Thank you, Jaehyun."

They were all gathered at Yuta's place for a small intimate dinner on his birthday. Jaehyun went there as soon as his shift was finished that he didn't have the chance to talk to Haru about what happened back at the hospital. She has been giving him the cold-shoulder for the past few days now, even to the point where she kept ignoring his texts and calls. He tried getting Jieun to convince Haru to talk to him but it didn't work. This time, he was very much clueless as what to do.

"I thought you were going to spend your birthday in Japan. What happened?" Jaehyun asked, taking a small sip from his wine. They were already settled in the dining room, sharing steak and wine that he had prepared for his small number of guest. 

"Something came up at work so I had to change plans. I'll just go home on Christmas instead." Yuta explained while diligently slicing the steak on his plate. "Speaking of the holidays. Do you guys have any plans yet?" He proceeded on asking as his friends all shared a look. "I might spend it with my mom and sister. Seulgi said she's going home to her parents." Taeyong said and Doyoung nodded in agreement, "Me too. It's been awhile since I last saw them. We're planning on booking a trip to Osaka as well." Yuta beemed upon hearing it as he suggested that they could meet up there. 

Jaehyun remained discreet all throughout the conversation, intently listening to all of them go through their plans this coming months, but somehow he felt himself slowly tune out unintentionally. He suddenly remembered how he have always enjoyed the holidays when he was a little kid. They were once a normal, happy family, but that was before his father seeked more than what he already have and he failed to see that. 

"How about you Jaehyun?" He was then quickly pulled back from his own trance as all eyes were on him. 

Jaehyun awkwardly cleared his throat, pretending to busy himself with his food, "Ah, hm, I don't know. I might take a shift on that day." He tried to look indiffirent about it as to avoid getting any sympathy from his friends. He doesn't want them to feel sorry for him and he didn't need it. 

Taeyong scoffed as he put an arm around Jaehyun, pulling him close, "Hey, if it gets lonely, I can set you up on an another date if you want." 

Jaehyun swiftly removed his hand, leaning away from him. "No, thank you. I'd prefer to spend it alone instead." Taeyong looked a bit disheartened when he declined his offer. "But I thought you enjoyed your last date wi-" Before Taeyong could even finish his sentence, he quickly cut him off, "Please don't remind me of that day. I almost felt sorry that she agreed with you." 

Taeyong raised his hands, blinking with feigned innocence, "Don't blame me. I told her you weren't interested but she was quite persistent." 

He rolled his eyes at him, looking unconvinced by his reason. "And she just randomly decided to go to where I work which she coincidentally knew?" He raised an eyebrow at him while Taeyong playfully shrugged not giving in his speculations. He reached for his glass and clinked with the one on Jaehyun's hand. "Well, at least she got what she wanted now." He said before taking a sip. 

"So you took her out then?" Yuta asked, looking invested with their discourse.

"No. I just brought her to a nearby coffee shop and explained it to her that there was a misunderstanding." He let out a sigh, "She was there out of the blue, some of my juniors witnessed it too. I was stuck in that situation so I didn't have a choice." It made him frustrated just by thought of it, remembering how Haru looked at that time. As much as he wanted to go up to her, he knew he needed to deescalate it first. 

"As expected of our Jaehyun. A real gentleman indeed." Taeyong patted his shoulder as he shot him a look, "Pull a stunt like that again. I don't know what I would do to you. I swear." He warned him, his cold stare deeply leaving a mark on Taeyong, making sure that he wouldn't get on his bad side for now. 

Jaehyun head out to the balcony to get some fresh air as he could also get a good night view of Seoul. A cold gust of wind blew fairly briskly ruffled his hair, he could feel a cold patch left his cheeks. He checked his phone for any notifications as the light from the screen illuminated the glumness on his face. He wanted to talk to her badly but he couldn't come up with the chance to do so. The universe is really playing with him. Every time he thinks he's a step closer to her, something would happen that would eventually take him two steps back. 

"Hey," Doyoung suddenly come up from the sliding door, "Are you okay?" Doyoung was someone who he was quite closer with since he practically knew him since they were kids. He expected that he would soon noticed how he looked a bit distracted during dinner. He wanted to tell him he was fine but he would be fooling himself if he did. 

"Hm, Taeyong suggested that we could plan out a quick trip before the holiday starts. Yuta and I already agreed. Maybe you could take a leave on that day." Doyoung said as Jaehyun gave a small nod, "Sure. I can do that." They were doing it for his sake just so he wouldn't feel left out during that time but deep down, it burdened him how they would always adjust themselves for him even though he didn't ask them to. It came to a point where he would always questioned their purpose, if they were doing things for him out of pity or just because. His friends always mean well but this was also the reason why he had been distancing himself from them. 

"Also, what you said to Taeyong, it's the first time that you acted like that towards him, even after all those surprise blind dates he sets up." Of course, nothing really gets away from his field of vision, especially from your bestfriend of more than fifteen years. Jaehyun was quiet for awhile, he didn't know how he should answer him. He couldn't come up with a quick excuse as he just let him continue, "When I picked you up at the apartment you sent me. I'm guessing that wasn't just one of your colleague." He was about to deny it but Doyoung lightly punched him on his arm, "Come on, Jae. We both know that Taeil is the closest person you get to hang out at work but I'm sure he'll be the last person you would consider sleeping at." 

There was really no point in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter