.7.

La Vie En Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.7.

People come and go.

For this phrase she often hears, it hits home for Haru. As humans were put into this world, they are expected to coexist with one another as well as social interaction is highly permitted in order to survive this cruel place or else people tend to die. . alone. But Haru still believes that a person is still capable to live even without any human contact depending if that person has a plan to procreate, not that it’s a need but it’s like how the law of nature works.

Haru is an only child and growing up, she didn’t have many friends. Her social skills weren’t good too so she only knew a few of them and some through common friends. As time passed by, she had a hard time keeping in touch with them and before she knew it, her social circle got smaller by the year. With Ina, she doesn’t know where she would be of fit. Was she still her friend?

After getting the text message, she thought of not replying at all but after minutes of careful consideration, she believed she wanted to get something out from their once lifelong friendship the very least. They both needed to.

Ina invited her to have dinner as she was going to suggest that coffee would be better since she supposed it wouldn’t take long, thinking that she didn’t have the appetite to eat, but knowing Haru, she wasn’t as frank as Ina is. So she agreed. Ina said that they would meet at the steak restaurant that was near to where she works which was a thirty-minute bus ride from Haru. She quickly hanged up before Haru could interject.

Haru sighed, her head hung low, feeling betrayed by her own self and she couldn’t do anything about it. She run her hand through her hair, disheveling the perfectly hair-tied bun as she groaned in frustration.

She changed into a new pair of fresh clothes after taking a quick shower. She checked herself one last time in front of the mirror before grabbing her coat hanging by the rack as she went out of her apartment. She made her way inside the elevator, scrolling through her messages as she didn’t notice the person who rushed in just as the door was about to close.

“Haru?”

She instantly peeled away from what she was doing when she saw Jungwoo standing beside her. Haru suddenly noticed a different vibe from him as he wasn’t in his usual hoodie and sweatpants but instead he opted for a pair of black jeans and a striped shirt with his denim jacket hooded over it, framing his broad shoulders.

“You look different. Going somewhere?” Jungwoo was taken aback from her abrupt comment.

Jungwoo safely tucked both of his hands inside his pockets, tipping himself back and forth with the balls of his feet as he kept a straight face, “Oh, I’m-I’m just meeting a friend.” She took it as a hint when the tone of his voice went a bit higher. She turned to him, a clear look of amusement plastered on her face, “Kim Jungwoo, are you going on a date?” 

He hid the growing blush on his face behind the collar of his jacket, “Noooo~ it’s not a date.”

“Wohoho! Are you blushing?” She more as she tried to pull down the hem of his jacket. “No! Stop that, Haru!” She was aiming for the collar of his jacket as she ignored his plea.

“What about you? Why are you dressed like that? You rarely go out on a Sunday.” Haru immediately stopped, retreating her hands back inside her coat pocket as she straighten her posture. She cleared , “Well. . I’m also meeting a. . friend.”

Jungwoo smirked, “So, it’s a – “

“It’s not a date!” Haru quickly defended as they both got out from the elevator. Judging by the way she looked, she was telling the truth but he noticed her uneasiness in her stance.  They both stopped in front of the entrance door, she grabbed her by her shoulders and turned her around to face him, “Hey, if our “dates” doesn’t work out tonight, we’ll watch a good film while we drink our sadness away. Deal?”

 “Deal.” Haru took a second to answer but she didn’t hesitate at all as she somehow expected how her night will end.

Jungwoo softly smiled, “Okay.”

----- 

Haru already reached their meeting place, her was sore after sitting for thirty minutes on a foamless seat of the bus as she hoped that agreeing to Ina’s request would come out good at the very least. The restaurant looked less crowded compared to what she had imagined but its fancy interior was beyond her expectations, she wished she could’ve worn something else that would’ve fit the place. It was elegant in a minimalist sort of way, yet plain but bold colors echoed with sophistication.

A waiter led her inside the main dining hall as she saw Ina was already sitting on their table. Ina looked up from her phone when she instantly noticed her coming. “Haru!” She excitedly waved her over as Haru kept a tight-lipped smile on her. Before she could even reach for her seat, Ina got up from her chair and immediately pulled her into a quick hug which made her feel tense all of a sudden. She can’t believe that she’s still acting like they’re still close friends when they haven’t been keeping in touch for five years now.

Silence hung over them as they waited for their orders. Ina looked over at Haru, anticipating her to say something but she kept her gaze away from Ina, looking around the room instead. She noticed how Ina was looking her as she slightly shifted on her seat, but she didn’t know how to start their conversation since she had no clue about Ina anymore for the last five years. She still had to play it safe when she finally had something in mind.

“So, ho – “Disrupting her momentum, their waiter came with their tray of orders as he carefully placed it on the table. He then poured an appropriate amount of wine to each of their wine glasses as she watched it rise far from the brim, hoping that he would come back for a refill.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter