Chapter 23

Latte and Chill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina POV

“Mina, you’ve been scrubbing that cup for the past ten minutes," Sana commented. 

I blinked, the metal cup that I was holding, now squeaky clean, came in focus. I cleared my throat and put it down before turning towards the older girl.

“You okay?” Sana looked at me with concern. I had told her what had happened. And because she was such a good friend, she had made it her personal job to check on me every thirty minutes.

“Don't worry. I’m fine,” I dismissed it with a wave of my hand as I turned towards the other unwashed cups. “There’s nothing I can do if she won’t talk to me.”

It’s been four days since the show. Four days since I had last seen Chaeyoung. The younger girl had made it clear that she didn’t want to talk to me. Her phone was off and it seemed like she disappeared off the face Earth, not even appearing in the halls of our building. Which was odd because before I always seemed to be bumping into her whereever I went. 

And obviously, she had not been coming to the cafe. Even Jihyo noticed her disappearance and asked, “Where has that cub gone off to these couple days?”

Chaeyoung had been regular at our cafe, coming so often that even Momo, who worked in the back, knew her preference of sweet lattes. The cafe was a lot quieter now without her teasing antics despite New Year's day creeping up around the corner. 

“She'll will come around,” Sana said sympathetically. “She can’t hide forever. She is your neighbor after all.”

“Maybe." I picked up another cup.

I had told them both everything. Momo in particular almost tore her hair out in frustration when she heard that Bambam was the one behind the letters. “I TOLD YOU SO,” She poked me accusingly with her index finger.

Then she rubbed her temple feeling the same headache I had been having since that fateful night. It was so frustrating. Everything was a misunderstanding that could easily be fixed. Yet Chaeyoung was making it so difficult.

“So you’re going to the party tonight?” Sana asked, changing the subject. Right. The party was tonight. Honestly, it had been the last thing on my mind.

“I promised Bambam. So yes,” I sighed. 

“Great! Let’s get ready at your place!” Sana chirped. Typical Sana inviting herself into my home.

“Fine,” I said rolling my eyes, with a slight smile.

“Momo comes too!” Momo called from the back. How the hell did she hear us?

"Fine," I repeated, loud enough for the girl to hear.

“Momo focus on the pastries and stop eavesdropping on your coworkers,” Jihyo shouted from her office.

 

Sana and Momo had gone back to their shared apartment get their things, saying that they’d meet me at my apartment in 30 minutes.

When I stepped out of the elevator and into my hallway, I noticed from afar that there was a box in front of my door. That’s weird. I don’t recall ordering anything, I thought as I walked towards it.

Upon closer inspection, there was nothing extraordinary about the box. It was plain brown with nothing written on it. I closed my apartment door, stepping into the living room to open up the box. 

The top was covered with black packing paper, a purple envelope sticking out from the side.

I picked it up. There was nothing written on the envelope. Dejavu, I shuddered a little. Opening it, there was a single piece of paper. It read:

I got this for you a while ago. Happy belated Christmas, Mina. 

It wasn’t signed - another thing that I was used to. But I had a sneaking suspicion that I knew who it was from

When I finally pulled out a familiar penguin plushie from the box, my heart couldn’t help but flutter with a sudden wave of affection for the person who sent it. So that’s what she was buying. I hugged it tightly to my chest. I inhaled deeply, taking its scent in. It smells like her, I realized, sighing. 

Chaeyoung-ah, why are you such an idiot?

 

“Mina, that’s your fourth one already,” Bambam was tugging on my arm, trying to get me to stop. We were at the party and I found it completely boring despite all the hype it had been getting. So instead, I entertained myself with drinks.

“Yah, leave me alone,” I hiccuped, swatting his arm away.

“Sana,” Bambam said sighing in relief when he saw the squirrel making her way over to us with Dahyun. He stepped back, letting her through.

“What are you doing, Mitang? You know you aren't go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter