Chapter 2

Latte and Chill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina, you're an idiot. After the run-in with my new, super cute neighbor, I had head back to bed practically fully awake with a novel in my hand, something my brother Kai had gifted me for my birthday. 

I had never touched it, thinking that he probably just grabbed the first book he saw in the bookstore. Of course, I was right. It was atrociously boring and I dozed off in a matter of minutes.

And here I was, present time, running thirty minutes late to work. Cursing at the stupid book that made me fall asleep, I flung open the door to the cafe.

"Look who decided to show up." Jihyo did not look pleased. She was in the middle of making a latte for one of our regular customers when I arrived, completely disshelved. Sana was at the register ringing the man up. She spared me a glance of sympathy.

"I'm sorry. I overslept."

It was an amateur excuse and I knew it. But Jihyo, being the soft-hearted girl she was, just sighed and gestured to the back room, "Go fix yourself up. Your hair looks like a bird's nest. Also, you misbuttoned your shirt."

My eyes shot down to my white shirt. She was right, as usual. Heat rushed to my cheeks as I rushed to get changed. 

Coming out of the bathroom, I tightened my apron. I was making my way towards the front when I noticed a familiar dark-haired girl standing in front of the oven with a strange look on her face. Momo. 

The corners of my mouth curved up in amusement. Aside from Sana and Jihyo, she was my only other friend in Korea. And that was due to my preference to stay home whenever I had the chance. The girl was staring at the dimly lit machine with furrowed eyebrows and a small pout on her lips. 

"What's wrong with the oven now?" I asked jokingly as I approached her.

A grin replaced the look on her face when she whirled around to greet me.

"Mina!" Her cheerful face morphed back into a pout as she whined to me, "Mina, this job is too hard. Staring all these delicious pasteries and not being able to eat them is pure torture!"

I laughed. Typical Momo. She was caught many times in past eating the freshly baked pasteries that she was in charge of stocking up every morning. It was a horrible idea to put Momo with food, but the only other option was putting her in charge of making coffee at the front and that would have been even worse.

"If you can behave yourself, I'll treat you to jokbal for dinner," I promised, encourging the older girl.

"Really?" Momo's eyes lit up at the thought. After thinking for a minute, she slumped down, clearly not believing in herself. "Well, I'll try my best."

"Mina, what's taking you so long?"

My eyes widened. Crap, Jihyo's tone sounded slightly agitated.

Rushing towards the front counter, I pushed through the swinging door to see the Big Boss handing a cup of coffee to a customer. She noticed my prescence and huffed, "Took you long enough. Go serve the customers. I have some important phone calls to make."

Not wanting to displease God Jihyo any further, I nodded and quickly got to work. Plastering on a friendly smile, I went to greet my first customer of the day.

"Hi, how may I help you today?"

The girl first in line stepped forward without glancing at the menu. She must come here often. The first thing I noticed was that her hair was bleached like mine. Her skin though, was strikingly pale, complimenting the blonde locks differently than mine did.

"Good morning. I think I'll have a frappuccino and my friend will have... Um, hold on a second." She turned to her friend who was scrolling through her phone. "Hey cub, what do you want?" Her companion was wearing an oversized black hoodie with the hood pulled over her head. She looked up slightly when her friend called her.

"Hmm? Oh, I'll have a..." The hood tilted towards me as she looked for the menu on the wall. "Uhh- Oh, Mina?"

I blinked in surprise, seeing a familiar face. 

"Chaeyoung." I hadn't anticipated bumping into my cute neighbor this quickly after our previous meeting this morning. 

Unable to help myself, I checked her out. Don't judge me, anybody who had eyes wou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter