Chapter 18

Latte and Chill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Third person POV

Chaeyoung stopped in front of Mina’s apartment, looking down at the bags in hesitation. She had taken the liberty in buying drinks on top of the order of sushi she picked up on her way home. Seeing that her hands were full, Chaeyoung rapped on the door with an elbow hoping Mina would come open the door.

Chaeyoung likes to think of herself as a pretty patient person, so she waited an extra thirty seconds before muttering to herself, “Did I get the wrong time?” She glanced at her wristwatch. It was 7PM, the time they always met at. Now even more confused, Chaeyoung set the drinks onto the floor and tried the doorknob. It was unlocked. Weird.

She shrugged and hiked the door open with a foot, bending down to pick the drinks up again. “Mina?” Chaeyoung called out. “Minari~”

Silence. 

What’s going on? Is she playing a game with me? Hide and seek? Chaeyoung made her way to the living room. 

“Min–“ She called out again, stopping as she finally sees the person she is looking for.

Chaeyoung’s eyes widened and she set the food onto the table, rushing over to the couch. “Mina, what’s wrong?”

The older girl was curled up against the corner of the couch clutching a photo frame. Her face paler than usual, with a pink flush on her cheeks. At the sound of her name, Mina looked up with watery eyes, “Chaeyoung.” Her heart almost broke at the sight of the vulnerable girl.

“Did something happen? Who hurt you?” The younger girl demanded as she sat down next to Mina. Her nostrils flared at the thought of somebody even daring to do something to the older girl. 

“Ray’s dead,” Mina choked out. 

A wave of surprise washed over her. Chaeyoung looked down at the photo frame Mina was holding onto. It was the very same photo she had seen every time she came over for movie night. The usually clear glass was lightly sprinkled with drops of tears, blurring the daschund's face. Mina was clutching the wooden frame so tightly the whites of her knuckles showed. 

“Mina,” Chaeyoung’s eyes softened and she reached over to take the older girl’s hand. Gently, she pried the photo frame from the Japanese girl’s hand and uncurled the fists, taking the slender hands into her own.

Mina looked up at the younger girl to see her staring back with a solemn expression. Chaeyoung sees the unspoken plea in her eyes and pulled her into a hug. There, face buried into Chaeyoung’s shirt, the older girl let the tears flow silently, her body trembling. And Chaeyoung let her.

And that’s how the next half hour went. Chaeyoung’s shirt progressively getting wetter from the tears but refusing to loosen the tight embrace she held the girl in. It was one of her favorite shirts, but that was the least of her worries right now. With her right arm holding the girl in place, Chaeyoung soothingly her hair, patiently waiting.

After who knows how long, Mina finally started to calm down. The trembling stopped and the only indication that she had cried was the small sniffs that sounded out every couple seconds. Chaeyoung loosened her grip when Mina began to stir. 

“Let’s go wash your face,” Chaeyoung said gently. She took Mina’s wrist and led the older girl to the bathroom.

Chaeyoung grabbed a towel from the towel rack, wet it, and squeezed out the excess water. She turned to the older girl who seemed to be standing stiff as a statue in front of her. “Mina.” The girl’s face was downcast and she refused to look up at her. 

Chaeyoung sighed and stepped closer. With one hand on the back of Mina’s neck, pulling her close, she began to wipe her face with the towel.

When she finished, both Chaeyoung’s hands were holding the towel to Mina’s cheeks, forcing her head to look up. Mina's eyes were no longer on the floor but looking right at her. Chaeyoung flushed at the sight.

Even after crying, her eyes, though glassy and slightly puffy, were shining. Her cheeks were pink from the rubbing of the towel and puffed out like a chipmunk due to Chaeyoung’s hold. Her skin was shiny after the wash, glowing like an angel despite the state she was in. , that should be illegal.

“Here, do it yourself,” Chaeyoung tossed the towel at the girl’s face and turned away, flustered. A small squeak of surprise came from Mina, muffled as the towel falls on her face.

 

Chaeyoung crouched on the carpet flicking through channels with the remote extended. “Oh, how about this one?” Chaeyoung stopped on a screen. “A Dog’s Purp–“ Her eyes widened and she glanced back at Mina who had a piece of sashimi in staring back unblinking. Chaeyoung mentally face palmed. How insensitive can you get?  She scolded herself. She hastily whipped her head back to swap channels. 

“Arf ARF." OH my GOD. The world was against her today. Chaeyoung clicked furiously past the Shiba who was barking at his owner in the previous screen. Next.

“...coming to you with a new episode about the life of a man’s best friend,” blared the speakers. Chaeyoung’s jaw slackened as she gapped at the television. 

“What is going on today?” The cub exclaimed in confused frustration. 

A quiet chuckle came from behind her and she turned when she felt a hand on her shoulder. “I don’t mind, Chaengie. Let’s just watch this. Come back here and eat your sushi.” Mina smiled at the younger girl who stands up obediently to sit next to her.

After an hour of the episode, and comfortably basking in each others presence, they began to clean up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter