Chapter 11

Latte and Chill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Damn," Sana sighed. I looked up from the cups I was scrubbing as she staggered out of the back door to join me at the front counter. She had class in the morning so I had to handle the morning shift on my own.

"Rough morning?" I glanced over in amusement. She shuffled over and leaned against the wall next to me. 

"Yeah... Whoever invented 8 o' clock lectures is an actual psychopath," Sana rubbed her eyes. I noted her dark eye bags and her hair that was tucked messily into her cap like she didn't have time to comb it.

"You guys must've went all out with the celebration last night," I observed.

"Uh huh," Sana flashed a toothy grin, "We played Never Have I Ever after you guys left. We all got totally wasted."

"So that's why you reek," I scrunched up my nose. She didn't actually smell, but I felt like poking fun at her for a change.

Sana whacked my arm lightly, "Hey, I took a shower just before getting here!" Still, she took a cautious sniff at her uniform and whacked me again when she discovered that she did, in fact, smell fine. 

I giggled, dodging another slap.

"Ugh, you're the worst," Sana gave up. There was a pause before she turned to me again.

"So Minaaaa..." I didn't like the creepy smile on her face.

"What?" I sighed.

"What did you do last night?"

I groaned, here we go again. 

"You can't expect me to believe that you two actually went straight home," She continued, ignoring my obvious distaste of the topic.

"Why is that so hard to believe?" I raised an eyebrow, "Do you even know me?" I was a homebody through and through, and Sana knew that. I gestured for her to hand me a towel to dry the cups.

Sana huffed as she dropped one in my waiting hands, "Okay, but you were with Chaeyoung."

"What does being with her have to do with anything?"

"You're answering my questions with questions," Sana remarked with a slightly impaient tone. She was right but I rolled my eyes anyways. "So did you go somewhere or not?"

She was persistent, I'll give her that. 

I paused. "...Maybe."

Sana let out an inhuman sound, causing me to wince. Damn, she could pass for a human whistle. I made a silent prayer for my eardrums, hoping that they would at least last until I turned 30. "I knew it! Where did you guys go?"

I nudged her aside to put the cups away. "That's for me to know and you to find out."

"You're no fun." I didn't even have to look at her to know that she was pouting.

I smirked, "I know."

The bell chimed as the front door of the cafe opened. Well, there goes our midday break. I sighed and wiped my palms on my apron, getting ready to greet the guest.

"Oh hey, Chaeyoung," Sana said suddenly.

My eyebrow shot up and I spun around a little too enthusiastically. ...And of course, I somehow managed to trip over my own two feet. I yelped in surprise, both my palms shot out and slammed into the counter just in the nick of time. The cafe echoed with a loud bang.

"Jesus-" Sana gasped putting a hand to her chest.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" Amusement played the new voice, totally forgoing the implied concern behind the question.

I winced as I pulled my stinging hands from the counter and examined them. They were fine, save for the angry red splotch decorating the palm.

"Nice to know that you find my pain funny," I huffed, finally looking up at the girl in question. Her eyes were twinkling with laughter.

Chaeyoung muffled another laugh in her hand before saying, "Sorry." She didn't sound sorry at all. "For a ballerina, you sure are clumsy." 

"Oh, she's not always like that," Sana piped up helpfully. "She is usually quite graceful. And very flexible."

My eyes bulged out, WHAT? I whipped my head to look at her. What on EARTH was this girl trying to imply? Sana gave me a wink and mouthed you're welcome. 

"Um... That's nice to know," Chaeyoung said.

"Oop, I hear Momo calling me," Sana said, eyes growing wide as I attempted to burn a hole through her head with my eyes. I call bull. Momo was most definetely not calling her seeing as the girl wasn't even working today. "Toodles!" I watched as she ran towards the back room to escape my wrath. I'm going to strangle that squirrel later.

Choosing to pretend that the conversation never happened, I turned back towards Chaeyoung and tried to keep my voice as level as I could. "The usual?"

"Actually no," She said. "I'd like an Americano today."

I raised an eyebrow, while reaching for a cup, "Are you sure you can handle that?"

Chaeyoung scoffs as if I had offended her, "Just because I'm a latte drinker doesn't mean I can't enjoy the occasional Americano."

I just stared at her knowingly as I waited for the coffee to brew.

"... Okay, FINE." Chaeyoung put her hands up, "I had class this morning and I REALLY need caffine in my system."

I smirked as I finished up her drink. "Here you go, madame."

She rolled her eyes and slapped the money into my waiting hands before taking the cup. I watched her out of the corner of my eyes as I rang up the register.

Chaeyoung took a cautious sniff of the drink before lowering onto the cup. It was a timid sip. Nevertheless, it was a fatal blow. It took a few seconds for the bitterness to kick in, but her face crumpled in revulsion as I had anticipated. She definetely was not a fan of bitter things. I tried to contain my laughter but I'm ashamed to admit that I did not have that much self-control.

"Good lord, that's disgusting!" She exclaimed staring at her cup loathingly. I was cracking up. "People drink this?"

"Yes, they do," I said finally, wiping a tear out of the corner of my eye. "I think you just have a bit of a sweet tooth."

She took another sip and made a face, more controlled this time. "Well, I have to drink it all since I bought it. At least it does its job. I have never been more awake." She shuddered.

Taking pity on the girl, I strolled over to the pastries and grabbed a slice of chocolate cheesecake. "Here, to save your sorry . It won't be as bad if you have it with something sweet."

Chaeyoung's eyes widened, her grip tightening around her Americano. "Um- I actually didn't bring enough money." Despite her refusal, I could see the longing in her eyes. 

"On the house," I said. Seeing her hesitation, I added, "Just think of it as a thank you for yesterday."

"Alright," The girl finally agreed. She took the plate into her hand and gave me a lopsided smile, "Thanks."

Instead of moving to a table to eat like I had expected her to, Chaeyoung simply leaned against counter as she forked a piece of the cake into .

"Mmm," Chaeyoung groaned, "That hits the spot."

"What are you doing?"

She returned my confused look and said, "What do you mean?"

"Go sit at one of the tables. I'm supposed to be working," I said as if it was obvious. I gestured towards the empty tables.

"There's literally no one here," Chaeyoung pointed out. She batted her eyes at me, "Besides, how can I talk to you if I'm sitting all the way there?"

I flushed. Damn her and her smooth tongue. "Who says I want to talk to you?"

"Well, what are you doing now?"

"Ugh, you're insufferable."

"So I've been told," Chaeyoung smirked. She took another bite of the cake and spoke to me again with a light-hearted tone, "Don't you have any classes today?"

I went to rinse off the things I used to make her drink. "Not until 4."

Both her eyebrows raised, "Oh what a surprise, me too!"

"There are so many classes that start at 4. It's really not that surprising," I said with a poker face.

"You're no fun."

"That's wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter