Ch. 1 ~ the roots ~

Makeup Artist

 

--- Back in high school ---

"Y/N!!" Dasom called.

You rustled in bed, distured by the noise outside.

"Y/N. GET YO UP." Dasom yelled as she stormed into your room, throwing open the door.

You sat straight up in bed with something similar of a heart attack and heaved heavily.

"yO WTF! Can you ever wake me up like a regular loving best friend sometime or something?" You asked.

"Not when you literally have five minutes to get ready!!!" 

"Oh !" You yelled as you went to brush your teeth, wash your face, fix your hair, and throw on your uniform.

"I'll just fix my makeup as we walk to school LEGGO." You huffed as you grabbed your lunch from your mom as you passed the kitchen, slipped on your shoes, and walked out with Dasom yelling "Bye Mrs. Y/N!!" to your mom.

-----

"Dude what makeup are you putting on, you literally only wear clear mascara because that's all your mom lets you wear." Dasom noted as you both walked to school.

"Well I'll take what I can get now, I don't even know how to wear regular makeup anyways." You retorted.

You both were in your last year of high school, near graduation, and you already felt pretty behind with all the girls not only in your class, but your entire school who already wore makeup like regulars. You hoped once you went to college you would have more liberty, but at that thought there was always a stopping point, because you didn't know what you wanted to study in college, nor what career path to go into. Since you and Dasom were already accepted into the same college, you had some time during the summer to pick your classes for your field of study. Dasom wanted to go into the casting agency for celebrities and idols, and is going to study marketing and company mangement/advertising.  You on the other hand...liked idols as Dasom did, but you found your interest in makeup growing. You secretly have started buying a few other makeup items and hid them so you could practice late at night. Dasom didn't know yet, but you were prepared to surprise.

-----

--- Graduation ---

"Dasom we did it!! We graduated congrats I'm so proud of us let's take a picture!" You yelled as you brought your phone up for a selfie with your best friend.

As you and Dasom smiled for the picture she gasped and turned to you.

"Y/N?? YOU LOOK SO PRETTY WHO ARE YOU?!?' Dasom yelled. The picture ended up being you smiling while Dasom looks at you with surprise, and with such a gem of a pic, you knew you had to post it everywhere and print it out to keep forever.

"Well, surprise!" You said nonchalantly. "I'm ready for college now!"

Dasom could just stare, as did others as they passed by you, with many looks coming from your male classmates, whispering to each other if they knew who you were. A few glares came from your female classmates but you never minded that, as you really didn't care what others thought of you anyway.

"No seriously," Dasom started, "when did you get this good at makeup! I thought your mom only let you wear clear mascara? Did she freak when she saw you? Does she know? Omg girl im just-" Dasom continued.

"So many questions ugh let's go grab something to eat to celebrate and I'll tell you there." You huffed.

-----

You both decided on going to your favorite hang out/snack spot, the Quick Mart by your neighborhood. Today you were feasting with ramen with cheese on top plus a boiled egg, your favorite soft drink to the side, kimchi in the middle, and for dessert: milk pudding waiting in the fridge.

"Ok SPILL, what happened?" Dasom spat as she was talking with full.

"First of all gross, second of all, where should I begin? Well, I got tired of only being able to wear clear mascara and you know my mom only let me wear that. So after school sometimes or on the weeked I'd say I would be going out with you somewhere, but instead I hit up Seoul to go shop for some makeup with my allowance. Plus I could get a feel of the city since we'll be going to university in Seoul anyway. Finally we can get a break from this old neighborhood!" You rejoyced. "Anyways, when I'd get home, late at night I'd practice my makeup. I've probably watched hundreds of makeup videos by now trying to get these rat tails of eyebrows somewhere and I think they look pretty good now! Plus trying to figure out my skintone, skincare, colors that look good on me and whatnot, aaaannnddd now I'm here!" You stated joyfully. "I wanted to showcase it all for graduation so that's why I wanted to surprise everyone but I feel like some people couldn't even recognize me!"

"Well I barely could! I still feel like you've told me nothing BUT I'll go with it." Dasom chimmed.

You both heard the door to the Quick Mart chime which meant that someone came in. You both payed it no mind as you are in a store and it happens often, and you continued chatting and eating. Suddenly you felt someone behind you and saw Dasom just staring wth open in awe behind you. You turned to look and heard a voice.

"Hi um.....you're very pretty....c-can I have you number?" A very good looking man, probably in his twenties, sheepishly asked as he handed out his phone towards you.

"Hey, she's wearing a high school uniform dude you can't ask her!" The man's friend stated, who was equally as good looking. "Hey but y'all just graduated right?" He smirked as he nodded toward the graduation tubes that held your diplomas.

"Umm...sorry we have to go..." Dasom replied as she grabbed your arm and pulled you out of the store and onto the street as you rushed home.

The sun was setting as you walked to your homes. The sound of laughter and cheer could be heard as you passed by the homes of other students who also graduated today. But you only heard your thoughts and questions. As you both were walking your mind could barely process what just happened.

"That....that has never happened to me before. How do I respond to that? Why did that happen? They were so cute, should I have replied?" You questioned aimlessly.

"Dude...that happened I think because of your makeup! It looks so good and you look so pretty!" Dasom exscitedly exclaimed.

"But no guy was like that in high school." You stated sadly.

"But they were all looking at you today! It's because of your makeup girl you look so cute with it in your uniform too! Ooh!! Let me take a picture of you now on the street now that it's golden hour and post it on your social media! I bet you'll get hundreds of likes!" Dasom exclaimed.

"I don't have any social media though..." You replied.

"What?! What is this, the stone age??? You are a high schooler with no social media??! Who are you to be honest...." Dasom heaved. "Give me your phone I'll download what you need and make it for you. Yay this'll be your first post!!! Now pose!"

"Okay," You said hesitantly, "how do I pose? Like do I just smile or...?"

"Just stand there and maybe put your hand holding your other arm, and look to the side and just be natural." Dasom replied as she got your phone camera ready.

"Okay..."

"3..2..1....." *click* "....oh my gosh...." Dasom sighed.

"What?? Do I look that awkward?" You hurried over.

"No..." Dasom replied, "You look SO GOOD GIRL!!" Dasom yelled. "You are a natural girl you look soooo pretty!! Now we just have to post this....for the caption let's put....'Graduation day! Ready for college life now~' and for this first post I'm going to put a couple hashtags so people can find you, lots of people find accounts to follow by their hashtags, but after this don't put any so you can get likes without them, it looks better." Dasom explained.

You were confused by all the steps and rules of social media but knew you'd eventually get the hang of it. But honestly, you were really amazed. You thought you looked really pretty in that photo, and for you, that never really happened too often in photos, or life in general. You never really liked how you looked because of your slight discoloration in your skin and a couple of small pimples here and there. With makeup, you looked completely flawless but natural and cute and it was such a nice feeling.

"Aaaanndd post!" Dasom exclaimed. "Also, always keep your following smaller than your followers. It looks good." She explained. "Omg!! You're already getting so many likes!!! You already hit 100!" 

"What?!" You yelled as you snatched the phone from her. It was true. The number of likes on the post kept rising and you couldn't help but smile. You also got a couple of comments already saying how pretty you were and the number of followers was rising. You hit past 200 already and honestly couldn't believe it.

"Let's meet up tomorrow and go shopping for some clothes to wear for our first year of college!" Dasom exclaimed. "And update me on any changes on your account, but I'll be checking since I follwowed you too okay?" She said as she waved goodbye as you both parted ways at an intersection between your two houses. Through this whole ordeal you didn't even notice you made it to your house already. So much has happened today that you couldn't even process it all through. You decided that the best way to process this was with a warm bath and sleep. You couldn't wait for college life to start now that you had this new beginning.

-----

 

 

 

 

 

~author's note~

+ hi everyone! hope you enjoyed that!! ahh my first chapter for this i feel so nostalgic already ~_~ this feels kind of rushed but i tried my best to get this out as quickly as i could because i really want some feedback!! if you have any feedback or just wanna say hi pls leave a comment!! hope you look foward to more chapters and please subscribe and upvote!! bts will be coming soon ;) +