Love Letter

Escapades: To Somewhere Only We Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINJOO was already on her way to the parking lot when a girl she hadn't seen before stood in front of her. The girl is carrying a huge backpack but she’s still carrying books in her hands.

“D-Do you need help?” Minjoo asked as the girl is literally blocking her way but not talking at all. “I-I can carry the other—“

“HELP!” The girl shouted, which made Minjoo flinch. She’s sure they are attracting attention. “O-On top of my books, there’s a letter. Can you please take that?”

“A-A letter?” Minjoo repeated, confused about what the letter could be. ‘Don’t tell me this is a love letter? But for me?’

Just looking at it, it does look like a love letter. Minjoo carefully took the said paper that’s on top of the girl’s books. The girl let out a huge smile.

“Thank you, Kimmy~” The girl cheerfully said, which made Minjoo’s eyes narrow. She then realised that the letter isn’t for her since the said girl doesn’t even know her name correctly.

“My name isn’t Ki—“

“Please deliver the letter to Eugene, please?”

Minjoo heard people laughing after hearing what the girl said. She could hear them talking about her and how desperate she is to get Yujin’s attention. Some other guys are even gesturing at her to throw the letter away just for fun but Minjoo can’t just do that.

“I-I will try to give it to her.” She answered, trying to smile.

“Yes! Thanks, Kimmy! I’ll be heading to the library now~ Thanks so much!”

After that the girl immediately disappeared as she dashed towards the library. The passersby just shook their heads and went on their way as well.

“That Eugene must be really popular.” Her friend, Chaeyeon, exclaimed. “There are girls who are desperate to get to her! See? Someone even just asked you to give her a letter because she knows that you two are in the same house.”

Minjoo just smiled faintly. “I don’t know if she will even accept this.”

“Are you really going to give it to her?” Chaeyeon asked with a frown. “Now that people have seen you accept someone’s letter then there might be more people who come to you thinking that you are their messenger. I can’t believe it though! They are still writing love letters these days.”

“Aren’t love letters sweeter than being asked through sns?” Minjoo asked. She sincerely thinks that way. Her mother showed her love letters written by her suitors while she was in university and she likes the glow in her mother’s face whenever she talks about how receiving a letter really made her heart pound. She even said that she received quite a lot before but she had to hide it all from her husband or else he will be jealous. According to her mother, her father is the sweetest one whenever it comes to writing love letters and she kept all that he sent her.

Minjoo once dreamt of that kind of romance, to have someone that’s like her father who would give her love letters and then she would write back enclosing her feelings to a simple letter but yeah… Someone who will write you a love letter would be really hard to find with this generation of technology. They’ll be people of high-value artifacts.

And hey, she even got asked out and it even turned into a bet because she just won’t easily give herself. ‘My parents’ love story won’t be for me; I guess…’

“What are you smiling for, Kimmy?” Chaeyeon asked her which made her snap back to reality.

“I am not Kimmy!” Minjoo retorted, which made Chaeyeon laugh. The sound of her laugh is so scandalous that Minjoo had to cover .

“I guess they gave a nickname to all Koreans. I was called Kimmy the other day even though I am a Lee.” Chaeyeon continued laughing and Minjoo just wanted to evaporate into thin air.

“Anyway, Minjoo… I am just really curious.” Chaeyeon somehow calmed down. “Is this Eugene girl really charming? I mean, I have seen her already but we haven’t talked to each other yet and you’re the one who is living together with her at the same house. I am just really curious if she is really worth all this fame surrounding her name.

“I don’t know.” Minjoo shrugged her shoulders. “I haven’t really looked at her properly.”

“Eyy… What a bummer…” Chaeyeon rolled her eyes. “She didn’t try to get into you? Right now you are the nearest target for her, am I right? She can get to you whenever she wants because you are on the same—“

“As if I will let her do that even if she tries…” Minjoo sighed.

“She isn’t your type?” Chaeyeon asked with a meaningful smile.

“You know that I only came here for—“

“Studies! Yes, yes. I know already. But you need to have fun, Minjoo! What will you do with all that jaw-dropping beauty if you won’t maximise its use!? Are you going to wait until it has faded until you realise this mind-blowing beauty that you have during this prime of yours!?”

“You’re overdoing it.” Minjoo shook her head.

“I am just telling the truth! Do you know how many guys are dying just to get you in our school back in Korea? Minjoo, if this school has Yujin then our school has you! It’s just that you are not a playgirl but yeah…” Chaeyeon nodded at her own idea. “You being hard-to-get makes them more crazy of you.”

“Come on… What's with these terms that you are using?”

The two of them stopped to let the cars pass by. Minjoo can already see Yujin waiting by her car. As usual, she’s surrounded by people again but this time there are more boys around her. The girl called Alex is there as well.

She can see that everyone is holding a stick of cigarette but there’s one exemption.

Minjoo felt even more stuffy inside when she saw how Yujin rejected the cigarette being offered by the other guy. The other guys laughed at her but she saw that Yujin shrugged her shoulders. She then just chewed some tic tacs.

Kiss.

Yes, Yujin is doing all of this just for her kiss.

“Cool kids smoke, she said… Is she turning back from being a cool kid?”

“Are you saying something?” Chaeyeon asked.

Minjoo cutely shook her head. “Nothing.”

“Ohh~” Chaeyeon smirked after seeing the glow on her face. “Have you seen someone that has caught your eyes that you are smiling like that?”

“What are you talking about?” Minjoo tried to sound irritated but she couldn’t hide the smile on her face. Chaeyeon grew even more curious.

“Say, Minjoo.” The girl put her hands on her hips. “We’ve asked you this before a thousand times but you always give us vague answers. Will you just tell me what kind of person would you like to be your lover? I am really dead curious. You’re just really hard to read.”

“Hmmm…” Minjoo thought aloud. “I haven’t really thought about it.”

“Don’t tell me it is because of studies again.” Chaeyeon’s shoulders dropped. “Are you going to remain single all your life? Have you ever dated before?”

“Never.” Minjoo proudly answered, which made the other girl stomped her feet.

“That’s not something to be proud of, Minjoo-ya! You should learn to open your heart for romance!”

Minjoo just laughed at Chaeyeon's frustration. She’s thankful that the girl is worrying about her love life when she’s not worrying about it in the first place.

“Hmm… Maybe I like people who would spend time writing me a love letter.”

Chaeyeon mocked her. “Which year were you born, seriously?”

They heard a voice calling out for Chaeyeon. It is Chaeyeon’s host family, the wife of the professor to be exact. The lady is waving at Chaeyeon with a sweet smile on her face.

“Pumpkin~ Let’s go home!” The lady said.

Minjoo’s eyebrow rose. “What? She calls you pumpkin?”

The other girl just smiled. “They don’t have a child and she’s just so happy to have a youth like me in their house. Gonna go, Minjoo~ See you tomorrow.”

“See you~”

Minjoo then took a deep breath. Aside from her entering a certain territory of smokers, she knows that all eyes will be on her again.

“Minjoo!” Yujin called out to her after noticing her approaching. Her smile is from ear to ear. The guys with her also turned to her way making her even more uncomfortable. She can feel how the Alex girl is killing her in her thoughts.

“What took you so long?” Yujin asked, her smiley face now pouting. The guys laughed at her asking her if she’s some breed of a puppy.

“Sorry. We received the books that we will be using the whole semester.”

Yujin then noticed the plastic bag that the girl was carrying. Without saying a word, she took it from her and signalled her to get in the car. “What’s up for dinner today? Wanna drop by the market?”

The guys started teasing her again, telling her how cringey her actions are because she sounded like someone committed. Yujin just looked at them smugly before opening the door for Minjoo.

“She got her new target.”

“Fcker is really up to her.”

“Alex, sorry babe but that girl has beaten you already.”

“They are living together under the same roof so it’ll be easy on Eugene.”

“Shut the fck up, I am not asking for your opinion!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter