Game

Escapades: To Somewhere Only We Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE dinner table that night was extremely awkward. Minjoo thought that nothing would be more awkward than their drive home. During that time, no one forced her to talk. Yujin was surprisingly quiet, most probably annoyed that she had to pick her up from the Language Building because she couldn't find her way to the parking lot. Yujin drove her home and immediately went up to her room as if nothing happened. It seems like she won’t be going anywhere else that time. She just locked herself to her room.

Then, a little later, Richard arrived with some take out food from the Korean restaurant that he was talking about. He thought that Minjoo probably misses Korean food already so he bought Korean food for a change (even though he doesn’t really like the taste.)

Right after tasting the food, Minjoo knew exactly why Richard criticized the way it is served. It definitely doesn’t taste like Korean food at all.

“See?” Richard asked. “It is still tasty but it is still lacking something.”

Yujin then shook her head. “I don’t get you, Dad. There’s nothing wrong with the food.

“You will understand once you have a taste of real Korean food.” Richard also shook his head. “Right, Minjoo?”

“Y-Yes.” Minjoo answered before taking a peek of Yujin but to her surprise, the other girl is already looking at her. Yujin didn’t even look away when their eyes met.

“Real Korean food, huh?” Yujin then her lips while looking at Minjoo. The latter’s eyes widened which made Yujin’s lips curve up in a mischievous smile. The girl then continued with her food but Minjoo is still bothered by what she did.

“How was school then, Minjoo?” Richard asked. “How was your first day?”

Minjoo gulped. “I-It was nice. Just a bit overwhelming at some parts but I think it will be fine. My friends seem to be having fun as well.”

“Overwhelming?” Yujin whispered but was audible enough for the two to hear it.

“We’re not talking about your friends though.” Richard commented.

If she would be honest, she was really not able to focus on her classes at all. Well, she did manage to write everything that she needed. The professors didn’t do any lecture at all but just went with the usual first day rituals and Minjoo did just fine then she forgot everything after her turn to introduce herself. Her mind was actually caught up by that scene in the car. That was really a shock to her.

“Don’t worry, I will let you know what fun is.”

Minjoo turned to Yujin and the latter even gave her a wink. She’s sure that Yujin is actually enjoying teasing her.

Richard then scoffed. “I know what kind of fun you are talking about, Yujin. If Minjoo goes back to Korea knowing how to smoke and all then you will be held responsible for it. You would have to kneel in front of her parents.”

Yujin just rolled her eyes while cackling. “As if you don’t smoke a lot, Dad.”

“I already told you before that it is better not to try it because it will be hard to quit smoking. Look at what happened to you.”

Yujin just shrugged her shoulders. “Well, we can’t help it. I don’t have any plans of quitting anyway. Good conversations also happen during cigarette breaks.”

“You say so.” Richard thriftly answered which was actually a sign of agreement.

“So, what do you think?” Minjoo was surprised when Yujin talked to her again. Is she really interested or is she just showing off to her father that she is actually concerned for Minjoo. “I can introduce you to my friends if you like.”

“Yujin, Minjoo came here to study. I know that most of your friends are party-goers. You can’t expose Minjoo to those kinds of kids.”

“Come on, Dad. You are technically saying that I am a bad influence.”

Richard sneered at her. “Aren’t you?”

The two just smiled at each other and continued with their food. It seems like they have a deep understanding of each other. Well, to them family is just the two of them alone. It won’t be surprising if they don’t have that level of understanding with each other.

“Uhm… Professor Ahn…” Minjoo suddenly called, which made the two look at her. “I was actually thinking of using your kitchen… If you don't mind, would you let me cook dinner for tomorrow?”

“You’ll be cooking?” Yujin repeated, this is the first time that she heard someone volunteer in cooking in that house. “For real?”

“I just want to prepare something as appreciation and thanksgiving for opening your home to me.” Minjoo explained, looking at Richard and not at Yujin. “I am not very good at cooking but I’ve been preparing food for my mother ever since I was young. It’s pretty uncomfortable right now that I am not able to cook anything—”

“If you’re not good then don’t try—OUCH!” Yujin yelped in pain when her father smacked her at the back of the head. “I told you not to do that! I will report you to the police!”

“Are you a kid?” Richard sneered. “And I told you that law is just effective in Korea and guess what daughter, we are not there and you’re not even a citizen of it just like what you always say.”

“TCH.” Yujin clicked her tongue. Her father got her that time. Richard then turned to Minjoo who was waiting for his answer.

“Alright then. If that’s what you want. I guess you were feeling pretty bored since there’s really nothing to do after class, right?” Richard let out a sigh and turned to Yujin who almost choked with her food. “You go and accompany her to the market after dinner.”

“H-Huh!?” Yujin gulped. “Why me? Why don’t you take her to the store!?”

“I still have a lot of things to do.” Richard casually said. “You’ll just fool around in your room, right? Why don’t you take Minjoo to the store and maybe go for a night walk?”

“But, Dad—”

“I’ll give you money to buy your snacks so just shut up. I also want to eat Korean food that really tastes like Korean food. Minjoo, I will give you my card later.”

Yujin’s eyes widened. “But why is she the one holding the card!?” she complained.

“I know you, Swiper. At least, I know I can trust Minjoo with it.”

“You trust someone who has been here for days rather than your child that has been with you all of her life?”

The dinner ended with the non stop bickering of the father and daughter. Yujin was also asked to do the dishes and Minjoo could hear how heavy her movements were even if she were upstairs. She’s been muttering about the additional dishes that she has to wash.

 

 

 

 

 

“HEY! Minj with double o, let’s go now!” She heard Yujin shout. After making sure that she had written everything on her list, Minjoo hurriedly went outside and saw Yujin leaning at her car and as usual, she was smoking. The girl then raised a brow when she saw her. “What took you so long?”

“S-Sorry, I was just listing the ingredients needed.” She explained.

Yujin then threw her finished cigarette and stepped on it. “Let’s go. I also have a lot of things to do, you see?” She then opened the door for Minjoo which the girl thought was considerate of her despite all the complaints that she is spitting out.

Minjoo then rode the car and they went to the store that’s really not that far. Yujin guided her inside the market with Minjoo getting a cart really quickly.

“Why are you suddenly in a hurry?” Yujin asked while following the girl who was pushing an empty cart.

“You said you have things to do.” Minjoo answered as she looked at her list. “I don’t want to waste more of your time so I am trying to finish this really quick.”

Surprised with Minjoo being considerate, Yujin let

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter