Trouble

Escapades: To Somewhere Only We Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BEING raised in a household of a single parent, all her life Kim Minjoo believes that making her mother proud will be the epitome of success in her whole existence. In everything that she does, all she thinks about is whether the act would make her mother happy. She never dared to do something that will make her mother disappointed and looking at how others are up to boldly shame their parents in front of other people, she always ends up shaking her head.

She doesn’t want to judge them since there can be a problem in their household but seeing how most of her classmates have a complete family and both of their parents supporting their studies and even their hobbies, she can’t help to feel sad for their parents.

Minjoo grew up watching her mother work tirelessly just to establish her. When her father passed away because of an accident, her mother is the only one left to take care of her. She was so young back then, around four years of age, but she can clearly remember everything.

Her mother used to leave her to a day care center after kissing her on the forehead and head for work. To be clear, first work. She’d tell Minjoo to be a good girl and not get into fight with her friends. With this, even when Minjoo is getting teased by the other kids, she would just smile at them and let things go. Starting from a young age she learned to be selfless and understanding. Getting angry and fanning up little flames will just cause trouble to her beloved mother.

After her work in the first company, her mother would pick her up from the daycare and go home. Despite being exhausted, her mother would still take the time to make food for her. Watching how dedicated her mother is for her, Minjoo decided that she would learn cooking as soon as possible. So, when she reached the age of 7, her mother let her cooked for the first time and was amazed of how she perfectly executed everything. Her cooking was also really delicious.

“I grew up watching you cook. I’ve been watching you for years now.” Her mother would never forget those words of her. “I’d be disappointed with myself if I won’t manage to do, at least, this.”

Hearing it from a seven-year old was indeed a shock but her mother was rest assured that she is raising her daughter in the right way even though it is tough for them. Since Minjoo can go to school and come back home without her mother, she makes sure that her mother would arrive with food prepared on their table.

She took whatever chores she can take from her mother so all she would do when she arrives home is to take a rest… and then go back to work again. Usually, after dinner, her mother would also go out to do some tutoring. She feels really bad that she can’t teach her own daughter but she has to work hard so she can prepare for Minjoo’s future. The young girl would always assure her mother, “I will study on my own while you are out. I won’t open the door to anyone and I won’t go outside, too. Don’t worry about me, Omma.”

With this mindset, Minjoo grew up to be a very reliable daughter. Every end of the school year, she gets recognition from here and there. Her classmates like her a lot, too. Though there are people who tend to hate her because of her popularity, she manages to win their hearts as soon as possible with her kindness. She wins enemies’ hearts with no fighting at all. She wins them with her own nature.

She managed to go to one of the most prestigious in the country as well. When her mother got promoted to a very high position in her company, money didn’t become much of a problem for them. She didn’t have to work at night as well and the two started to bond even more, going to places during weekends.

Her whole life, she lived for her mother, with her mother and for her mother. So, when she applied and got accepted to an exchange program in the University of Chicago for six months, she got all worried not because she’ll be flying to a place with a culture new to her but she is more worried for her mother. It would be the first time that they will be apart for a long time.

“I will be okay on my own while you’re away. Don’t think that I forgot how to cook because you have been doing all the cooking all this time. Don’t worry about me, daughter.”

Minjoo felt like tearing up when her mother tapped her by her cheeks. She just loves her mother so much that her heart aches right away at the moment of temporary separation.

But she has to do this as well. If going to study abroad to broaden up her specs which is also equivalent to her mother getting pleased and being proud of her then she would fly no matter how far it is, no matter how dangerous it could be, no matter how much culture shock she might get.

“You’re lucky, Minjoo.” One of her friends said while they were on the plane. “A Korean family will be hosting you, right?”

“Ah? Yes.” Minjoo answered with a smile. She looked at the list once more where it says that she will be staying at the home of a Korean professor called Richard Ahn. She searched for the said professor’s name in N_ver and found out that he is actually a well-known educator. She admires the professor for being able to make a name for himself despite moving to America at the time when Korea was not really doing well.

“You’d still be able to eat Korean food at their house.” Her friend joked which made Minjoo snicker.

“I wonder about that. They’ve been living in Chicago for many years now. I wonder if they still eat Korean food or have already changed into the local food.” Minjoo then let out a breath. “Maybe I can cook for them if they let me give it a shot.”

“Hahaha.” The other girl gave her a pat on the shoulder. “Don’t be too kind there, Minjoo. You’ll be there as a guest. You won’t be there as their maid. Knowing you, you’d probably do all their chores.”

Minjoo’s brows flinched. “I was just talking about seldom cooking.”

Because she i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter