Cigarette

Escapades: To Somewhere Only We Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

YUJIN almost cried her eyes out after having a taste of Minjoo’s jjimdak (Korean braised chicken in spicy soy sauce). Even Richard wanted to cry in happiness. He even gave Minjoo several taps on her shoulder as thanks for letting him travel to his past after having a taste of the authentic jjimdak.

“It just brings me to my university days when we were doing a volunteer service and one of the volunteers would bring this dish and we would eat it all together.” Richard sobbed which made Minjoo snicker. She was really relieved that he liked what she prepared.

“What are you now, Yujin?” Richard asked and smacked Yujin in the back. The girl’s eyes are teary because she has never tasted something that great ever in her entire life. "I told you Korean dishes taste different!"

“Dad, I am a Korean now…” She confessed before taking another spoonful of the dish. “I feel like I would not grow tired of eating this everyday.”

Minjoo smiled. She can feel that Yujin is only saying that because of their little game. “Of course, you will grow tired of eating the same thing everyday.”

“No, no, no.” Yujin frantically shook her head. “I mean, this is really delicious! If you prepare foods like this everyday and then suddenly go away after six months I will surely go and hunt you in Korea then bring you back here.”

“Stupid.” Richard blurted out. “Minjoo is not our cook and she won’t be cooking for us everyday.” He then turned to Minjoo and with his ever-serious face he said, “But use the kitchen whenever you like but don’t forget to ask me for money if you want to go shopping, alright?”

Yujin couldn’t help but to laugh on how her father’s heart is divided. She’s actually happy that he managed to eat something authentic. He has been craving for it for only the heavens know since when. He wanted to visit Korea but Yujin just won’t go and he worries that his daughter would go 100% wild once he leaves her for a vacation.

The dinner ended with all hearts and stomachs happy. Yujin was the one who did the dishes again since Minjoo was the one who prepared the food but unlike last time, she was really happy to wash the dishes if she would get to eat delicious dishes like what Minjoo prepared.

While Yujin was on it, Minjoo went to her room and sent a message to her mother telling her how happy her hosts were with the meal that she prepared. She believes her mother would be proud especially when she finds out that she made a dish following her recipe.

She then checked the things that she jutted down at her class earlier. She is actually getting a bit bored with all the introductions and orientations, she just wanted to go straight to the lectures (which will obviously start next week.)

But then, there’s actually one thing that is making her excited—the game.

She doesn’t know if what she’s feeling was excitement. She believes she’s nervous since this is the first time that she agreed to play a game like that. She has heard guys making bets on her but she smashed all their hopes for shutting them all down. They know all their hidden agendas; they weren’t actually after her heart and she knows well that Yujin is the same.

“But am I really feeling excited?” She asked herself while looking blankly at her notes. She actually felt like breathing. She actually felt alive for some reason. Was it because she is challenged? Was it because it is something new? Or was it because she has been living a dull life for so long?

She doesn’t really know what enjoyment is. She believes that as long as her mother is happy then she is also happy (which is not a bad thing) but she never found anything that will make her happy that won’t concern her mother at all. Gaining awards became normal and it bored her. Being a good kid is pasted to her name that there are times that she felt like doing something new but she’s afraid that she will stain that tag.

“Just two weeks.” She murmured to herself. “Just two weeks of playing is permissible. My mother won’t be mad about it. As long as I don’t get myself into danger then I’ll be fine.”

Was it her conscience knocking at her door? She knows she doesn’t swing that way but she agreed to play with Yujin. She believes that she has already won the game. She’s not really interested in dating and all. She didn’t even bother about her guy suitors but now she’s playing with a girl, something that people would surely raise an eyebrow with once they heard about her doing it.

A little later, she could smell cigarette smoke entering her window. She looked down and saw Yujin smoking. She then concluded that the girl smokes after eating just like any other smoker. She was about to close her window when Yujin noticed her.

“Hey, Minjoo! Are you shutting yourself in your room already?” Yujin asked with a huge smile on her face. “Come out and get some fresh air.”

“Fresh air?” She repeated while eyeing Yujin’s cigarette. “I’ll pass—”

“Wait, wait!” Yujin huffed her cigarette for the last time and then stepped on it. “It’s safe now. Come down.”

Minjoo let out a sigh. It won’t be a game if she won’t play it properly and just avoid Yujin. The other girl won’t let her live in peace for sure if she does that. “Wait.” She answered flatly but her answer made Yujin’s smile widen.

She can already feel her heart quaking while walking downstairs. Richard was actually in the living room watching the news as always. “Don’t smoke even if Yujin forces you to.” He warned her. He probably heard Yujin’s shout of invitation.

“I won’t. Don’t worry, Sir.” Minjoo assured him. She was about to continue on her steps when she heard Richard speak again.

“Minjoo, if we’re at home you can just call me ‘uncle’. There’s no need to be too formal.” He was saying that while his eyes were fixed on the TV but Minjoo still smiled at him.

“I will surely give it a try.” She answered and then left.

“Can’t believe Yujin is actually treating her just right.” Richard took a sip of his coffee and rested his back on his couch. “And it didn’t take a lot of time for them to be comfortable with each other to the point of going into night strolls, huh? I thought it would take some time because their personalities seem so much different.”

“You took time.” Yujin said after seeing Minjoo. The girl frowned a bit.

“I came right after you called me.” Minjoo answered with a little pout. Yujin just laughed at her.

“Want to go around the neighborhood?” Yujin asked. “We don’t really have time in the morning for some stroll. You haven’t seen the neighborhood at all, right?”

Minjoo nodded. “I think I need to go for a walk too because I ate a lot.”

“You’re right.” Yujin agreed after laughing a bit.

The two then started walking and it was pretty quiet for the first minutes but just as Minjoo expected, Yujin would be the one to make the first move.

“I heard rumors about the daughter of your host family, Minjoo. I heard she’s really popular with girls and she uses her popularity so wel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter