Cool Kid

Escapades: To Somewhere Only We Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE NEXT day, a Sunday of very nice weather, Minjoo woke up a bit late because her body was still adjusting with the time difference and all. She apologised for waking up late but Richard doesn’t really find anything to apologise for. Her daughter doesn’t have any jet lag but she’s still snoring in her own room.

“Did she come home late?” Minjoo asked while preparing some cereal. The Professor told her that she can go eat anything if she’s hungry but she doesn’t have any choices at all because there isn't much food in that household.

Richard was watching the noontime news in the living room when Minjoo came and joined him. The bowl of cereal is in her hands.

“She probably came home around 4 in the morning.” The guy answered with his eyes fixed on the TV. This made Minjoo think.

‘Does she have a thing with 4 o’clock? Yesterday she also came home at 4 in the afternoon.’

“She parties a lot during weekends. It’s not really new to me.” The patriarch suddenly felt like explaining. “I don’t want to dictate to her what she has to do. People learn with their experience but I’ll make sure to step in if it’s really getting bad.”

“I see.” Minjoo nodded before taking a spoonful of her cereals. “Did you have your lunch already, Professor?”

“Oh… I had some sandwiches earlier.” He then looked at his watch. “For dinner maybe we can order some pizza.”

It seems like no one really bothers cooking in this household. Minjoo has already scanned the kitchen and she saw cooking utensils but just one look and she knew that those are not being used at all. Some things are probably used only for cooking noodles.

She went to wash her bowl immediately after eating. She’s not the type to stock dishes at the sink and she’s not even in her house to begin with. That time she was really considering trying to cook for the Ahn family. She believes that the Professor really misses eating Korean food. They talked about food and he showed how dismayed he is for Korean restaurants around. He expressed how unhappy he is that it doesn’t taste like Korean cuisine at all but is altered to fit the American taste.

‘Should I start with kimbap?’ Minjoo asked herself. It would be nice to start with the basics. She also brought seaweed wrappers with her in case it won’t be available anywhere. She can go and visit the store once she gets a little bit more used with her new environment.

Right after washing the dishes, a staggering girl came to the kitchen as if it was on cue. It was Yujin, she’s having a hard time opening her eyes. She is wearing a white oversized shirt and black shorts. Trying to wipe sleep away from her eyes with her right hand, her other hand is busy scratching her belly.

Minjoo knew that she should greet her but she can’t help but to be amazed how someone can still walk with her eyes closed. She then flinched when Yujin leaned on the fridge as if she was clinging to her life.

“Gahd, I drank so much…” The girl murmured to herself. She then opened up the freezer and placed her head inside. “I feel like dying…”

“That’s why you shouldn’t drink so much!” Minjoo heard Richard shouting from the living room. “You are lucky the cops didn’t catch you drunk driving.”

Yujin just laughed with her head still inside the freezer. “That was wild...” She commented, feeling really proud of herself. “Last night was a blast, I just don’t remember that much. My gosh… I feel like I want to chop my head off.”

‘Maybe I can add hangover soup to my future menu.’ Minjoo eagerly watched Yujin stay that way for about three more minutes before deciding to pour her a glass of water.

“Here.” Minjoo nonchalantly handed her the glass of water making Yujin jerk. She pulled her head out of the freezer and forced to open her eyes. She gave Minjoo a smile after seeing the glass of water in her hands. “Thank you, Kim.”

“It’s Min—”

Yujin chugged the water in one go, closing the door of the freezer while she was on it. “Ahh! That was refreshing! Thanks, Kim!”

Yujin returned the glass to her. Minjoo was so surprised about the sudden return that her reflexes just accepted the glass. “It’s Min—”

“Ah, yeah.” Yujin nodded her head, she still couldn’t open her eyes properly. “Minchew, right?”

Minjoo felt like turning into a popular gummy candy after hearing how Yujin pronounced her name. She was even more startled when Yujin said that her name suddenly made her hungry.

“No, it’s actually—”

“Dad, what’s for breakfast?” Yujin shouted, now scratching her back.

“It’s already afternoon, lady! Grab whatever you can grab there!”

“There goes his popular line…” Yujin groaned. She then staggered her way to the cabinets but there’s really nothing that she wants to eat. In fact, all of the canned goods are making her sick just by looking at them. “There’s nothing that I can grab here!”

She then turned to the direction of the living room but what she saw was Minjoo staring at her. Then a wild idea popped into her head. Minjoo just looked back at her with a curious face.

“Is something wrong?” The girl asked.

The other girl’s lips curved up for a mischievous smile. “I just realised there’s actually something that I can grab and eat here.”

 

 

 

 

MINJOO didn’t understand what Yujin was inferring at that time. It wasn’t because she’s too innocent to understand things like that but it was most probably because of the language barrier. It is all brought on by the confusion of studying a foreign language. Sometimes you can understand something perfectly but your brain suddenly gets low with self-esteem and declares that some words are incomprehensible because they are not of your own language.

Also, she just didn’t see any possibility of the other gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter