Chapter 3

The New General

Byungchan let out a deep sigh as he stood outside to watch the sunrise. Seungsik was standing leaning against the wall by the back door behind him with his eyes closed.

"I'm sorry," said Seungsik. "For what? Nearly losing control?" Asked Byungchan as he turned his head to look at Seungsik. Seungsik hummed, opening his eyes to look at Byungchan. "You should know better by now," said Byungchan as he shook his head, turning back to looking up at the sky.

"You okay?" Asked Seungsik. "Fine," said Byungchan as he looked down at the forest in front of him, his body tensing slightly as he felt the distinct sense of fear from feeling someone's alpha aura wash over him. Seungsik walked over, keeping a slightly defensive stance as he eyed the forest in front of them. "You think it'd be any easier," Byungchan grumbled to himself as he recognized Wooyoung's wolf form as it came into view.

"We're fine," said Seungsik as he too recognized the wolf. "Go on," he said. "You heading to Berlin or going on from here?" Asked Byungchan as he forced his voice to remain calm. When the alpha aura receded Byungchan took that as a sign that Wooyoung was heading on. "Alright," he said. "I think Jongho and Hongjoong are passed Austria by now," he said. Wooyoung bowed his head before turning and heading back into the forest.

"Is this really necessary though?" Grumbled Byungchan as he slumped slightly, relaxing his tense stance. "It's the only way we can communicate it seems," hummed Seungsik. "Using me as bait? That's stupid as hell," Byungchan said with a sigh.

Byungchan froze in place as he felt another person's alpha aura wash over him, shivering at the intensity of this one. "God damn it," he grumbled. "Sorry," came a familiar voice behind them, causing Byungchan to turn around to spot a smirking Subin.

"Did you really need to ramp it up that high?" Byungchan asked with a pout. "Sorry," said Subin as he gave a nonchalant shrug, letting in his alpha aura fade away, causing another grumble to come from Byungchan. "Ungrateful brat," mumbled Byungchan as he relaxed, shaking his head in amusement before turning to look back out at the forest.

"Who came by?" Asked Subin. "Wooyoung," said Seungsik as he shrugged. "Ah," hummed Subin. "What did he want?" He asked. "He came over in wolf form," said Byungchan. "So he was only passing through," he added. Subin hummed.

"When are we heading to Austria?" Asked Seungsik. "Probably within the next couple days," said Byungchan. "I want to see if anyone else shows up with information before heading on," he said. "Why?" He asked. "Just wondering when we were leaving again is all," said Seungsik. "Don't think of going down the route of Eunki and Jinyoung now," said Subin. "I won't," said Seungsik.

"Miss breakfast why don't you," said Donghan as he came outside, causing everyone to turn to him. "Not hungry," said Seungsik. "I'm fine, I made some toast before coming out," said Subin. "I'm not hungry," said Byungchan. "Alright, it's there if you're hungry," said Donghan. Byungchan nodded.

 

~



"So what do you know of the rest of Europe?" Asked Donghan as he stood outside with Byungchan after dinner. "A lot," said Byungchan as he shrugged. "This isn't the first time we've had to come out to Europe to try and get a territory public," he said. "But this is the first time someone was willing to have someone come out here," he said. "Sounds interesting," said Donghan. Byungchan hummed in response.

"You're a beta aren't you?" Donghan asked suddenly. Byungchan blinked. "What made you figure that out?" He asked. "The way you were trying hard not to flinch yesterday," said Donghan. "I could've swore I hid it well," said Byungchan.

"You did," said Donghan. "But Kenta noticed," he added. "He was slightly concerned," he said. "I see," hummed Byungchan. "I can see why you're trying to hide it," said Donghan. "Most would try to take over after learning you're a beta," he said. "Yes but everyone in the pack knows already," said Byungchan. "And Seungwoo chose me with confidence," he said. "So he knew what he was doing," he said.

"He should've given it to whoever was the second oldest," said Donghan. "That would be Seungsik," said Byungchan. "But for obvious reasons, you would know why he wasn't made general," he said. "And Subin said no when Seungwoo asked," he said. "Since Subin is Seungwoo's nephew anyway," he added. "Hm," hummed Donghan.

 

~



"What has you losing control again?" Asked Subin as he studied Seungsik. "I'm not losing control," said Seungsik. "I think you are," said Subin. "Seungwoo is the only one capable of keeping you calm," he said.

"You can keep me calm too you know," said Seungsik. "But for how long?" Asked Subin. "My alpha aura isn't anywhere near as powerful as my uncle's, you know this," he said.

"I'm beginning to think we should've left you at home and brought Sejun with us," said Subin. "Had you stay with Chani or something," he added. "Kris is a good guy, but I don't know what he was thinking to send you out with us when you're losing control," he said. "That would have to be Byungchan's call in the end," said Seungsik. "And you know he won't do it unless it's really bad," he said.

"If you think you can handle yourself we'll keep going," said Subin. "I can," said Seungsik. "Don't count me out just yet," he said.

 

~



"Your packmates seem fine with you being in charge," said Kenta as he sat outside with Byungchan. Byungchan shrugged. "I just bring a friendly face that's easier for people to approach," he said. "I know they have my back if things get serious," he said. "I've known Seungsik for ages and Subin has proven time and time again that he is good at what he does, as a medic for our side anyway," he said.

"You put a lot of faith into them," said Kenta. "If I didn't, I'd probably be dead," said Byungchan. "Fair point," said Kenta.